‘Thailand’s tourism industry doomed if we don’t embrace nature’, Bensley tells TTF 2020

webfact

I agree the flora and fauna and coast lines are stunning and should be better protected.  But I cheekily point out that the Thai girls are part of nature and they should be nurtured too.  Surely many of you have seen the complexes "Made in Thailand" that contains trinkets and souvenirs but also bars with Thai girls in them!

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

I too live in Pattaya, have had 2 power outages in the last year, neither lasting more than a couple of hours.

I know, we have a home in Pattaya, I should have marked, outside of cities.

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Don’t worry the Chinese are coming to make up thIs high season.

What? Wuhan flue?

i like to know what the thai gouvernement plan to do whit the  Wuhan flue whit all the chines people coming to thailand,this is a serious probleme!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK: Thailand’s tourism industry stands on the brink of disaster if it continues along its destructive path of unsustainable growth and can only be saved if it learns from nature, the celebrated architect, landscape designer and disruptor Bill Bensley has warned.

While T.A.T can only spout out about increasing numbers of tourists as though that counts for everything, 

while all the time the quality of every destination drops.

Look at all the tourist locations and watch the destruction as they milk every last baht they can while it lasts.

No planning for sustainability just take the profit today and don't worry about tomorrow.

Over one-thousand people who attended the meeting, listened and will go home and do nothing !

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

It never went away. I live in Pattaya and could spend the night with a different attractive lady every night for the rest of my life, if I wished to. The problem isn't supply, it's demand.

Why has demand dropped? Price, no other reason. The total cost for procuring a lady for the night has outstripped inflation every year in recent years and, of course, the strong baht has made the total cost, for all visitors to Thailand, very expensive.

Thailand is no longer a cheap holiday destination, particularly for the boom boom brigade.

You're obviously not a tourist, but you're right. Any kind of tourism includes sex tourism in a way, though it should (for obvious reasons) better be called "wellness tourism" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dougiemac52 said:

What about all these millions that are coming to Thailand according to the TTF tourist records will be broken this year lol ????????

They will be down in numbers if The continuous smoke pollution gets hold of them, As well as a predicted ever strong baht ,making health and no value for money will kill tourism’s numbers

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

The problems which include this one are multifaceted requiring a holistic strategy. There isn’t that level of thinking in government and it will take some kind of catastrophic event to prompt any kind of address. Corona virus anyone?

There's something on the way from China... as the gazillion people fleeing Wuhan (traveling for Chinese New Year holidays) will come to Thailand. Let's see what they'll bring along.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3047022/wuhan-coronavirus-20-other-cities-china-affected

• Sad 1

Interesting!  Pessimism by the container full.  Look at the bright side, when the big crash comes the Baht to Aussie $ ratio maybe in the high 30's.   Because I  am married to a Thai I am here for the duration.  So yer,  no hope I'll be bringing money here at 20-1 but at 39-1 I'll be getting that new Chevy Colorado I  been hanking for......

The insatiable appetite for yet more lower income Chinese and Indian tourists, is decimating the industry. And there are a dozen good reasons why wealthy, or well to do tourists who visit Thailand once, never return. I have seen it with my own eyes, over and over again. They have not only killed the golden goose of tourism, they continue giving it an acid bath daily. Tourism will continue to decline. I recently saw a world bank report that estimated that this industry could be responsible for up to 22% of Thailand's income. Though, that is the highest estimate I have ever seen, it is possible. Millions of jobs will be lost. Thailand is in for a world of hurt.

The army needs to resign. Prayuth needs to resign. Admit defeat guys. You really blew it. On your watch, the nation was reduced to a shambles. Get out now!

• Like 1

What the scholar does not realize is, that 50% of those attending his lecture most likely did not understand, what he was talking about. 

It's not only nature, its the currency situation, the screwing around by the immigration which promptly resulted in hundred of thousands leaving Thailand for other shores as they just had it with this racism on TM28/TM30, the 90 days certification, the unannounced ransacking of residences to "check" on the alien while blunt crime takes place literally everywhere else. 

Thailand has not realized it but the gravy train has left the station; now the last attempt with Indians and Arabs is under process and will result in where everything else ended. Good bye Charlie ???? 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

How DARE Mr. Bensley lecture the Thai people????!!!

Everybody knows that Thai people were born with a deep, deep love for their country and its natural resources and never (ever!!!) would do anything that could endanger the ecological balance, destroy the environment, or jeopardize sustainable tourism.

I would have loved to have seen the faces of the audience if those set of photo's had been screened... then asked the question "why are tourists staying away" ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FinChin67 said:

There's something on the way from China... as the gazillion people fleeing Wuhan (traveling for Chinese New Year holidays) will come to Thailand. Let's see what they'll bring along.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3047022/wuhan-coronavirus-20-other-cities-china-affected

Already on national news in UK that there are confirmed cases in Thailand. Shure to put people off travelling here.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, shackleton said:

And yet no matter what smog water shortages ect

The Tourists keep coming numbers improve every year

Cant be that bad .?

Only T.A.T spouts those numbers as being tourists.... they count every possible number of movement. Immigrants working, then traveling home & returning, Thai citizens leaving for vacation and returning, anyone who enters for any reason is counted as a new figure... the numbers are massaged.

Tourist are at best 50% of what they quote, which is about in line with what hotels etc are saying their occupancy is!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FinChin67 said:

No.

No one is allowed to leave Wuhan, all travel tickets have been canned.

Communism has some merits i guess lol. But effectively no chinese from Wuhan can travel out of Wuhan right now.

• Like 1