‘Thailand’s tourism industry doomed if we don’t embrace nature’, Bensley tells TTF 2020

webfact

the one thing I hate about it now is the limited access to the beaches, the way they have allowed the build of hotel closing the views and having to walk miles to get access, security stopping you walking through the hotel, prime example is Chaweng koh samui, before it was all open and a beautiful site, now you wouldn't know there was a beach....

22 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The insatiable appetite for yet more lower income Chinese and Indian tourists, is decimating the industry. And there are a dozen good reasons why wealthy, or well to do tourists who visit Thailand once, never return. I have seen it with my own eyes, over and over again. They have not only killed the golden goose of tourism, they continue giving it an acid bath daily. Tourism will continue to decline. I recently saw a world bank report that estimated that this industry could be responsible for up to 22% of Thailand's income. Though, that is the highest estimate I have ever seen, it is possible. Millions of jobs will be lost. Thailand is in for a world of hurt.

The army needs to resign. Prayuth needs to resign. Admit defeat guys. You really blew it. On your watch, the nation was reduced to a shambles. Get out now!

So let me get this straight. The tourist industry is being decimated but the world bank put out a report estimating the highest percentage of Thailands income ever.

From tourism.

And the rich tourists never come but you have seen them over and over again.

And the Chinese visitors have no money.

Riiiiggghhhttt.........

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, lensta said:

"a different attractive lady every night for the rest of my life"

A different lady every night for sure but attractive??? mmm I don't think so. lol

Actually, in Hua Hin, I would be lucky to sleep with a different attractive lady , butevery night for a week but to each their own I guess.

I live in Pattaya, not Hua Hin, with 20,000 to chose from, I don't have a problem. YMMV.

4 hours ago, Dario said:

You forgot a very important thing: almost daily electricity black out outside of Bangkok!

AND: in many places water horrible water we must pay for.    

I ended up buying a new alarm clock as I was fed up of having to input the time again after every power cut. As you say, it's almost daily.

Many Thais  couldnt  care  less,  just this  morning  followed  the school  mini van and  watched as they threw  out their  plastic  bags  full of  <deleted> right outside a  house where theyd  stop to  collect a  kid, right out the side  window............normal, if they cant eat it or  sell it just throw it where ya  want

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

I too live in Pattaya, have had 2 power outages in the last year, neither lasting more than a couple of hours.

Think yourself lucky then as up here in the Boonies South of Chiang Mai we get two or three a week, especially in the Monsoon Season and they can go on for three or four hours at a time !

• Like 1

21 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

'Bang Bang'... doomed already thanks to the crazy strong Baht and Tourists needing breathing apparatus !

Baht doesn't have much weight on tourism in my opinion but the AQI certainly does. The main reason I left Bangkok for Phuket is because of the air quality. Living in Bangkok is essentially a death sentence. I have no idea how people can live in Bangkok long term, let alone raise a child there. Phuket is about the only place in Thailand that is safe to live but even then, you need to check your water, fruit and food for pesticides and heavy metals. I found teflon (  C-8 ) in a watermelon I was eating which is insane. Good movie about telfon here:  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9071322/ I only buy organic now from Villa Market. Happy to pay 4x for food that isn't loaded with deadly cancer-causing toxins. Thailand can be awesome but you definitely need to invest in quality water filters, air filters, and food testing apparatus to make the cost savings worth it. Otherwise, you're just shaving decades off of your life.

I highly recommend moving to Laguna in Phuket. Super clean air, access to high quality water, high quality organic food, and high quality restaurants.image.thumb.png.ef4af3a819fb040c9fec90ecbe0e3fd0.png

IMG_8834.JPG.d0706a5506a07bc7a1bb49f1830fadde.JPGIMG_8832.JPG.c236ba20426258b72c104eb2464f43c8.JPG

IMG_8833.jpeg.f845e1b2135ecf78b2269197c6e189fc.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, car720 said:

The fun went out of Thailand when the fun went out of Thailand.

The fun went out when the anti-fun started pouring in. Kobkarn, the destroyress of Thailand is largely responsible for opening the gates of destruction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shackleton said:

And yet no matter what smog water shortages ect

The Tourists keep coming numbers improve every year

Cant be that bad .?

Are you one of those 5 people who actually believe the TAT-issued visitor figures? Ask people on the ground (hotel operators, restaurant owners, shop keepers in the "tourist hubs") and realize that they're all moaning about plummeting customer numbers.

A good example is a tourist class hotel in my immediate neighborhood that was originally built to primarily accommodate Chinese tourists, who arrived on tour buses for one-night stopovers before flocking off the next morning. Less than a year ago, the hotel was solidly booked out every single night, with between 10 and 12 fully-loaded buses arriving each evening. Now there barely are 2 half-empty buses a day, the hotel having been practically deserted for almost a year. The same goes for all those little eateries and souvenir shops that sprang up in the hotel's vicinity to cash in on the big Chinese bonanza. They are now empty, with staff sitting around in vain. Well, at least that leaves them with more time to conduct their oh so important social media business, so they're not complaining.   

7 minutes ago, Rocket Hawks said:

Baht doesn't have much weight on tourism in my opinion but the AQI certainly does. The main reason I left Bangkok for Phuket is because of the air quality.

You contradicted yourself. Air quality has very little effect on two week tourists. Big effect on someone choosing a place to raise their family.

Edited by DannyCarlton

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

No one is allowed to leave Wuhan, all travel tickets have been canned.

Communism has some merits i guess lol. But effectively no chinese from Wuhan can travel out of Wuhan right now.

One point for the commies. In the good old days they would've razed the place to the ground.

1 hour ago, lensta said:

Yeah. we have all been to Pattaya. 20,000 maybe. 20,000 attractive, I don't think so.

He only needs 365 per year. With the influx of new girls arriving daily, that’s achievable.

30 minutes ago, Rocket Hawks said:

Baht doesn't have much weight on tourism in my opinion but the AQI certainly does. The main reason I left Bangkok for Phuket is because of the air quality. Living in Bangkok is essentially a death sentence. I have no idea how people can live in Bangkok long term, let alone raise a child there. Phuket is about the only place in Thailand that is safe to live but even then, you need to check your water, fruit and food for pesticides and heavy metals. I found teflon (  C-8 ) in a watermelon I was eating which is insane. Good movie about telfon here:  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9071322/ I only buy organic now from Villa Market. Happy to pay 4x for food that isn't loaded with deadly cancer-causing toxins. Thailand can be awesome but you definitely need to invest in quality water filters, air filters, and food testing apparatus to make the cost savings worth it. Otherwise, you're just shaving decades off of your life.

I highly recommend moving to Laguna in Phuket. Super clean air, access to high quality water, high quality organic food, and high quality restaurants.image.thumb.png.ef4af3a819fb040c9fec90ecbe0e3fd0.png

IMG_8834.JPG.d0706a5506a07bc7a1bb49f1830fadde.JPGIMG_8832.JPG.c236ba20426258b72c104eb2464f43c8.JPG

IMG_8833.jpeg.f845e1b2135ecf78b2269197c6e189fc.jpeg

Phuket was bad the last days too... we also have an island place that was supposed to be good (Koh chang area), this year it's not. 

That's why most here are more <deleted> than usual, there's no escape from haze this year. Not in Vietnam, Not in Thailand, Not in bali, Not in Korea, malaysia looks ok but except langkawi, which is bad too, i wouldn't want to stay there...

This sucks, it's getting worse and worse every year and there's no end in sight. At lest today phuket looks way better than vietnam but who knows for how long...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

This sucks, it's getting worse and worse every year and there's no end in sight. At lest today phuket looks way better than vietnam but who knows for how long...

Indonesia AFAIK is mostly palm plantations. When they switch to sugar cane, except a pink smoke ring under your skin after going for a half minute stroll outside.

21 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Doomed already. Political instability, ridiculously strong currency, poor safety record, rubbish everywhere, no gun control, corruption is rife, running out of water, poor infrastructure, little concept of customer care, Chinese zero dollar tours and the back up to falling Chinese tourism? Indian. Well I guess they've tried the cowboys they may as well give the Indian's a go.

I see where you're coming from. 

On the plus side there is great Tom Yam Kung and Krapao Moo.

Rooster

6 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

On the plus side there is great Tom Yam Kung and Krapao Moo.

The kung has gotten worse in the last few years. I think the fresh ones are shipped to China. Moo might be good for you, free antibiotics.

Got any other positives? I sort of have a skeet shooting mood today.

41 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The kung has gotten worse in the last few years. I think the fresh ones are shipped to China. Moo might be good for you, free antibiotics.

Got any other positives? I sort of have a skeet shooting mood today.

Yes, I discovered some great Thai made mozzarella at Villa. Mrs R made some top notch lasagna out of it. 

The positives just keep on coming. 

Rooster

22 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Doomed already. Political instability, ridiculously strong currency, poor safety record, rubbish everywhere, no gun control, corruption is rife, running out of water, poor infrastructure, little concept of customer care, Chinese zero dollar tours and the back up to falling Chinese tourism? Indian. Well I guess they've tried the cowboys they may as well give the Indian's a go.

You forgot about making it more difficult for the average expat (who is actually a long term tourist before somebody says the post is about tourists!) who spends on average half a million baht every year but is being forced out by Immigration's alternative legislation to "Proof of Income" letters.