Left passport at home, staying at hotel

On 1/21/2020 at 4:46 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

The hotel will tell you. Not every hotel is the same. Why make a topic about it before asking them directly with a phone call? Anyway, usually not any issue.

Only one of the regular hotels I use in my travels who used to accept my Thai driving licence now insists on me having my passport. That's one out of five.

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not sure that helps the OP without a list of every hotel you have stayed in. In my experience they have mostly asked for my passport. 

I've been here 20 years  and only use my dl for flights and accommodation. If they would refuse me I would walk away and go to the next 1

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not sure that helps the OP without a list of every hotel you have stayed in. In my experience they have mostly asked for my passport. 

They will, of course, ask for a passport. 

Next time try giving them your DL (with a smile) and say that you always keep your passport in the safe at home.

On 1/21/2020 at 4:51 PM, asiaexpat said:

Hotels are required to complete a report to Immigration on all guests. That report includes data that is in the passport such as TM6 information that is not on DL. Some non compliant hotels accept less than the requirement. Some let Thai wife/person check in to avoid the report.

If they ask for his passport and won't accept his DL,then just go to another hotel. FYI, loads of hotels and guesthouses don't report foreigners. You'll know they will when they ask for the passport. 

On 1/21/2020 at 10:49 AM, canuckamuck said:

I can't find their phone number on the web. Their own site doesn't have a phone number

Oooh! Good hotel. Very expensive, I think! Good Choice, they will probably let everybody in together with the rats.

12 hours ago, Krabi King said:

I never use a passport domesticly. A driving license has all the necessary information, including your passport number. We report guest for our business with the TM30 app and only passport number, name, gender and nationality are required. The rest is optional. I never fill out any visa or TM6 info and all the info gets successfully submitted.

20200122_150647.jpg

I wonder if anybody checks the information that is entered? Or does it just end up in a large database that can be sold on to the highest bidder!

13 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Next time try giving them your DL (with a smile) and say that you always keep your passport in the safe at home.

Hotels are now obliged to check the permission to stay of all foreigners, some may well choose to ignore that.

My wife always makes the bookings and goes to check in. In the last year or so I have more often than not been called over and asked for passport, not interested in DL or pink ID.

In the last month we have been in 3 hotels, 2 checked and 1 didn't, the 2 that checked were both in Pattaya and the one that didn't was on Laem Sing beach.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Hotels are now obliged to check the permission to stay of all foreigners, some may well choose to ignore that.

My wife always makes the bookings and goes to check in. In the last year or so I have more often than not been called over and asked for passport, not interested in DL or pink ID.

In the last month we have been in 3 hotels, 2 checked and 1 didn't, the 2 that checked were both in Pattaya and the one that didn't was on Laem Sing beach.

I also wonder whether a pre-booking on Agoda/Booking.com puts 'pressure' on the hotel.

I can't imagine any hotel refusing to check me in with such a booking + my DL. 

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I also wonder whether a pre-booking on Agoda/Booking.com puts 'pressure' on the hotel.

I can't imagine any hotel refusing to check me in with such a booking + my DL. 

All our bookings are Agoda, used to collect the points for a free night.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

The hotels check and have become unpaid immigration checking for overstay.

One time a receptionist said I would not be allowed to stay as my visa had expired. She was quite right, the visa had expired, just didn't understand the extension stamp on the following page.

Ah, I thought that when they punched the numbers in the info was sent to a huge integrated database that alerted the SWAT team if the passport showed the dastardly villain to be on overstay

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It appears the OP is uninterested in advising posters on this thread the progress or outcome of his problem. I'll know what to do next time he starts one.

He's languishing in a squalid cell for failure to carry his passport at all times.

#prayforcanuckamuck

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, kelboy said:

I've been here 20 years  and only use my dl for flights and accommodation. If they would refuse me I would walk away and go to the next 1

Fortunate you only visit places with rows and rows of hotels!

I would say rural places are less stringent, but my experience in Bangkok and Pattaya is they want a passports off me. 

14 hours ago, Jip99 said:

They are by law required to report me as staying there, and need the TM6 number. Rather than create an issue and knowing this, I just carry the passport when I know I will be using a hotel. 

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

They are by law required to report me as staying there, and need the TM6 number. Rather than create an issue and knowing this, I just carry the passport when I know I will be using a hotel. 

I don't, and I don't have any problems. 

Just my experience, others' mileage may vary...

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My motto for my passport is the same as a old advert for a credit card that was "Don't leave home without it".

Been the same for many years due to a job I had that required me to travel to many countries. Some of them were very strict on having a passport with you if asked for it.

Having taken a trip earlier this month to 2 hotels I use on a regular basis.

1 in Hau Him and one in Pattaya.

Both of which I always book in with my pinko ID. 

However on this occasion I was not allowed to do so. Talking to check in staff they have been told by immigration no matter if the foreigner lives in Thailand with a Thai pink ID or

A Thai driving licence.

A copy of the passport must be given and they must submit it to immigration.

Two hotels miles apart both telling me the same.

I am due in BKK Tomorrow so rang my normal Hotel and yes was told the same passport required.

No big deal as I carry it anyway when away from home.

On 1/22/2020 at 4:10 AM, possum1931 said:

Only one of the regular hotels I use in my travels who used to accept my Thai driving licence now insists on me having my passport. That's one out of five.

Maybe true, but any information from over 6 months ago is no longer current. 

Back in October, the 2 hotels I stayed at had printed signs on the front desk declaring that they needed a passport, and could no longer accept a Thai DL.  That's in contrast to 7 years of living in Thailand through 2018 when I always used my DL.  The fact that they actually printed up the signs indicates to me that something has changed.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I want to apologize for starting this thread and leaving everybody hanging. I Indeed was allowed to use my DL. but I had my wife register the room in her name, so maybe that helped.

Lots of useful information in this thread from contributors, thank you

Now to address some of the comments.

Some people wondered why I didn't just ask at the hotel. Well the reason is is that I wasn't anywhere near the hotel when I started the thread. in fact I was in Doi Sakett and I had things to do until 9PM when I was picking up friends at the airport. So I was trying to see if I had a problem before I got to the hotel.

The hotel did have contact information on their website, but not a phone number. This does not mean it was a flea bag hotel, in fact it was one of Chiang Mai's larger and more well known hotels. Also, Agoda doesn't let you see hotel numbers because they don't want you to deal direct.

Sorry to leave everyone hanging

Edited by canuckamuck