BANGKOK
drbeach

Address Verification for Driver License Renewal

Hi,

Does anyone know whether the Belgian embassy issues an address verification letter for a driver's license renewal? After sifting through pages upon pages of material, I found nothing here on TV. I also found nothing regarding the Swiss embassy, so went over to a German language Isarn forum and found someone who claimed that the Swiss aren't issuing this document. Well that sucks. I hope the Belgians do, because I hear immigration at CW are not issuing them to anyone except long-termers who are on an extension of stay and only after having done a 90-day report. What about those who are on a multi-entry non-O? Perhaps try another immigration office in a different province? But will they issue a document verifying an address in Bangkok, or would one need to get a TM30 done for that province, and use that address to put on the driver's license?

Since no specific information is available on their website, I guess that's the only option.

However, should they say no, what options are available in this case?

38 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Does anyone know whether the Belgian embassy issues an address verification letter for a driver's license renewal?

Why not call them and ask them as opposed to asking Thaivisa members who, more than likely, don't have that information? 

Edited by Just Weird

7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Why not call them and ask them as opposed to asking Thaivisa members who, more than likely, don't have that information?  02 108 1800.

Well there are Belgian citizens on here I would assume.

Anyone know what the deal is at Chaeng Wattana or other immigration offices?

44 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Why not call them and ask them as opposed to asking Thaivisa members who, more than likely, don't have that information?  02 108 1800.

They would if they have a Belgian passport and had previously obtained a CR from Belgian embassy. <baiting comment removed>

BTW for any AU readers, oz embassy does not provide this service.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, drbeach said:
11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

The embassy will be able to give you 100% accurate information for something that's quite important, I would assume.   Silly me.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
18 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

They would if they have a Belgiam passport and had previously obtained a CR from embassy. 

I know that but the chances of that are not very high;  the chances of the embassy knowing could not be higher.

Maybe all the Belgians with CRs for driving licences will inundate the thread soon.

Edited by Just Weird

Just now, Just Weird said:

The chances of that are not very high;  the chances of the embassy knowing could not be higher.

Did you notice the fella that started the thread is not interested in your contribution. Posted to that effect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Anyone know what the deal is at Chaeng Wattana or other immigration offices?

OP, alternative to obtaining letter from embassy is to attend imm. You mention advice re CW. There is current thread from Britishjohn asking exactly that question..

You could check it out for advice.

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
24 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

The chances of that are not very high;  the chances of the embassy knowing could not be higher.

Did you notice the fella that started the thread is not interested in your contribution. Posted to that effect. 

What I noticed was that he did not post to that effect.  

Have you noticed that this is a public forum to which anyone can contribute, within the rules, as they see fit and your interpretation of the OP's interest in what I posted is irrelevant?

My money is on him calling the embassy in the morning as it would make no sense for him to not do that, despite all your assistance!

Edited by Just Weird
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Umm well the whole idea behind using this forum is to ask questions about things related to Thailand. Getting an address confirmation document should rank high on the list of things that is not always straightforward to do, hence the question.

Of course, one could always just Google as I already did exhaustively before starting this thread but came here because I thought "hey, there must be people who can answer one of these questions".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

What I noticed was that he did not post to that effect.  

Have you noticed that this is a public forum to which anyone can contribute, within the rules, as they see fit and your interpretation of the OP's interest in what I posted is irrelevant?

My money is on him calling the embassy in the morning as it would make no sense for him to not do that, despite all your assistance!

I sent them an email already. What they won't be able to answer is what the procedure is for getting a CR done at an immigration office, specifically Chaeng Wattana, but it could be another one too.

DLT centres accept either a Certificate of Residence issued by Immigration, or a Yellow Tabien Baan.

If your on a Non Imm O ME Visa you should be filing a TM30 on each re-entry (notification of address), so obtaining a CofR shouldn't be a problem.

Depends on the office, but I used my Tabien Baan to obtain my first Licence, no further proof of address requested for renewals.

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

DLT centres accept either a Certificate of Residence issued by Immigration, or a Yellow Tabien Baan.

If your on a Non Imm O ME Visa you should be filing a TM30 on each re-entry (notification of address), so obtaining a CofR shouldn't be a problem.

Depends on the office, but I used my Tabien Baan to obtain my first Licence, no further proof of address requested for renewals.

I still have some time to get everything organized before my license expires, so I'll be heading over to Chatuchak to find out what their requirements are.

I know Chatuchak is the most flexible DLT office around - other offices in suburban Bangkok give you the run around and want an address confirmation to put an extension stamp in a purple car passport booklet, despite not requiring it the previous year. Prior to that, they only requested it to apply for a new booklet. Chatuchak requires nothing more than the purple booklet and your passport to get either a new booklet (if the existing one is full or expiring) or to renew it.

Hence why you may be right, that for a 5-year to 5-year DL renewal, they may not even require proof of address.