Address Verification for Driver License Renewal

Hi,

Does anyone know whether the Belgian embassy issues an address verification letter for a driver's license renewal? After sifting through pages upon pages of material, I found nothing here on TV. I also found nothing regarding the Swiss embassy, so went over to a German language Isarn forum and found someone who claimed that the Swiss aren't issuing this document. Well that sucks. I hope the Belgians do, because I hear immigration at CW are not issuing them to anyone except long-termers who are on an extension of stay and only after having done a 90-day report. What about those who are on a multi-entry non-O? Perhaps try another immigration office in a different province? But will they issue a document verifying an address in Bangkok, or would one need to get a TM30 done for that province, and use that address to put on the driver's license?

38 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Does anyone know whether the Belgian embassy issues an address verification letter for a driver's license renewal?

Why not call them and ask them as opposed to asking Thaivisa members who, more than likely, don't have that information? 

Edited by Just Weird

7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Why not call them and ask them as opposed to asking Thaivisa members who, more than likely, don't have that information?  02 108 1800.

Well there are Belgian citizens on here I would assume.

Anyone know what the deal is at Chaeng Wattana or other immigration offices?

44 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Why not call them and ask them as opposed to asking Thaivisa members who, more than likely, don't have that information?  02 108 1800.

They would if they have a Belgian passport and had previously obtained a CR from Belgian embassy. <baiting comment removed>

BTW for any AU readers, oz embassy does not provide this service.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, drbeach said:
11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

The embassy will be able to give you 100% accurate information for something that's quite important, I would assume.   Silly me.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
18 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

They would if they have a Belgiam passport and had previously obtained a CR from embassy. 

I know that but the chances of that are not very high;  the chances of the embassy knowing could not be higher.

Maybe all the Belgians with CRs for driving licences will inundate the thread soon.

Edited by Just Weird

Just now, Just Weird said:

The chances of that are not very high;  the chances of the embassy knowing could not be higher.

Did you notice the fella that started the thread is not interested in your contribution. Posted to that effect. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Anyone know what the deal is at Chaeng Wattana or other immigration offices?

OP, alternative to obtaining letter from embassy is to attend imm. You mention advice re CW. There is current thread from Britishjohn asking exactly that question..

You could check it out for advice.

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
24 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

The chances of that are not very high;  the chances of the embassy knowing could not be higher.

Did you notice the fella that started the thread is not interested in your contribution. Posted to that effect. 

What I noticed was that he did not post to that effect.  

Have you noticed that this is a public forum to which anyone can contribute, within the rules, as they see fit and your interpretation of the OP's interest in what I posted is irrelevant?

My money is on him calling the embassy in the morning as it would make no sense for him to not do that, despite all your assistance!

Edited by Just Weird
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Umm well the whole idea behind using this forum is to ask questions about things related to Thailand. Getting an address confirmation document should rank high on the list of things that is not always straightforward to do, hence the question.

Of course, one could always just Google as I already did exhaustively before starting this thread but came here because I thought "hey, there must be people who can answer one of these questions".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

What I noticed was that he did not post to that effect.  

Have you noticed that this is a public forum to which anyone can contribute, within the rules, as they see fit and your interpretation of the OP's interest in what I posted is irrelevant?

My money is on him calling the embassy in the morning as it would make no sense for him to not do that, despite all your assistance!

I sent them an email already. What they won't be able to answer is what the procedure is for getting a CR done at an immigration office, specifically Chaeng Wattana, but it could be another one too.

DLT centres accept either a Certificate of Residence issued by Immigration, or a Yellow Tabien Baan.

If your on a Non Imm O ME Visa you should be filing a TM30 on each re-entry (notification of address), so obtaining a CofR shouldn't be a problem.

Depends on the office, but I used my Tabien Baan to obtain my first Licence, no further proof of address requested for renewals.

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

DLT centres accept either a Certificate of Residence issued by Immigration, or a Yellow Tabien Baan.

If your on a Non Imm O ME Visa you should be filing a TM30 on each re-entry (notification of address), so obtaining a CofR shouldn't be a problem.

Depends on the office, but I used my Tabien Baan to obtain my first Licence, no further proof of address requested for renewals.

I still have some time to get everything organized before my license expires, so I'll be heading over to Chatuchak to find out what their requirements are.

I know Chatuchak is the most flexible DLT office around - other offices in suburban Bangkok give you the run around and want an address confirmation to put an extension stamp in a purple car passport booklet, despite not requiring it the previous year. Prior to that, they only requested it to apply for a new booklet. Chatuchak requires nothing more than the purple booklet and your passport to get either a new booklet (if the existing one is full or expiring) or to renew it.

Hence why you may be right, that for a 5-year to 5-year DL renewal, they may not even require proof of address.

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, alternative to obtaining letter from embassy is to attend imm. You mention advice re CW. There is current thread from Britishjohn asking exactly that question..

You could check it out for advice.

I'll be doing that. Not particularly interested in wasting half a day getting out to CW and would much prefer to deal with an embassy, even if they charge twice for the service. Not to mention how much faster and more pleasant it is to deal with one's embassy. If I'm left with no other choice, I'll go the immigration route.

2 minutes ago, drbeach said:

I'll be doing that. Not particularly interested in wasting half a day getting out to CW and would much prefer to deal with an embassy, even if they charge twice for the service. Not to mention how much faster and more pleasant it is to deal with one's embassy. If I'm left with no other choice, I'll go the immigration route.

Check with you DLT office first before doing anything.

My DLT won't accept an Embassy letter as proof of address. They insist your address is either registered with your Amphur, or Immigration.

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Check with you DLT office first before doing anything.

My DLT won't accept an Embassy letter as proof of address. They insist your address is either registered with your Amphur, or Immigration.

Interesting - all this time I thought it was either embassy letter, immigration letter or yellow tabien baan.

That is indeed what I'm planning. Getting out to Chatuchak is also not a wasted journey either, since I am often in that area for meetings and things.

And btw, for the amphoe option, how can I get myself an address confirmation there (or is that only if you want to get the yellow book)?

37 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Interesting - all this time I thought it was either embassy letter, immigration letter or yellow tabien baan.

Depends on the administration requirements, which can differ Province to Province.

Impossible to open bank accounts locally without proof of being legitimately registered with Immigration and obtaining a CofR, or the Amphur and having a Tabien Baan.

40 minutes ago, drbeach said:

And btw, for the amphoe option, how can I get myself an address confirmation there (or is that only if you want to get the yellow book)?

Only necessary if you want your own Tabien Baan and ID card.

Requires the permission of the person registered as the house master in the Blue book and they have to attend and complete an authorisation form. Again other requirements vary from Amphur to Amphur office.

No standardised procedures in Thailand.

14 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Depends on the administration requirements, which can differ Province to Province.

Impossible to open bank accounts locally without proof of being legitimately registered with Immigration and obtaining a CofR, or the Amphur and having a Tabien Baan.

Only necessary if you want your own Tabien Baan and ID card.

Requires the permission of the person registered as the house master in the Blue book and they have to attend and complete an authorisation form. Again other requirements vary from Amphur to Amphur office.

No standardised procedures in Thailand.

Thanks for all your help. For bank accounts, I've previously used a CoR from my embassy (for Bangkok Bank) and a work permit for SCB, but both were done years ago. I understand in Bangkok, a CoR from your embassy is normally accepted but as you say, in provincial areas it could be different.

I just received an email from my embassy. As usual, they are always very fast and reliable, it's been a real pleasure dealing with them over the last couple of years.

They informed me they can in fact issue a CoR, and they charge only slightly more than immigration (700 Baht). In fact, only one trip to the embassy is necessary as they have all the details on file.

I also checked the Department of Land Transport website. It looks like the main office, and the other ones in Bangkok will accept an embassy letter (given that I was previously asked for one to extend my car passport last time as well as to get an international driving permit at my local office, it's obvious they would also accept one for extending a normal Thai driver's license).

However, just to be sure, before I apply for the letter, I'll go in person to Chatuchak to check if they need one for a 5-year to 5-year extension. Last time I got the letter through the Australian embassy (in the days they were still doing them) for the purposes of applying for a new car passport and since Chatuchak is much closer to the embassy than my usual office, I got it done there, but they didn't want my letter. So I ended up wasting 1700 Baht on nothing.

Anyway, this is all excellent news and I'm very elated. I had been preparing to apply for a yellow tabien baan or get the CoR through a provincial office by using my business partner's tabien baan as proof of residency, but neither is necessary anymore. Still, I might look into getting the tabien baan, seems like it's useful.

Edited by drbeach

15 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Depends on the bank, afaik Bangkok Bank is the only one requiring this.

29 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Actually at other banks it depends upon which branch you go to.

Even at Bangkok bank it is not a firm requirement. There ways around it such as to have a reference that will work.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Depends on the Province.

I know SCB and KK also will not open an account without a certified proof of address in my area anymore, even with an existing customer as reference.

To many problems with Tourists untraceable when they have an issue.

Now they ensure your address is registered with either Immigration (CofR) or an Amphur (Yellow Book).

They started tightening up in 2018.

Years ago I opened an account with BKK and KK with no more than my Passport and a signed copy of my landladies Tabien and ID card. Those days seem to be gone now.

I went to CW 2 weeks ago for Certificate of address, or residence, 

I needed it to renew my drivers and motorcycle licenses.

I could of gone to my embassy, but they are much more expensive. But if you need it now...check with your embassy.

CW takes a full week or more to "mail" the certs to you.

200 baht each...

I have had a Non OA for several years..if that makes a difference.

One thing that you should know...the window for the certificate and for TM30 are one and the same. Window B.

My TM30 was out of date. I took a trip out of the country and when I returned, I did not update.

The IO asked me about this several times...I knew what she was asking "why didn't I report"  I kept quiet, pretending not to know what she was talking about. In the end she asked if I was still at the same address and she let it go.

Go figure, a nice IO..

I hope this helps to OP.