Greta Thunberg calls on world leaders to listen to young activists

snoop1130

35 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I tried google

In March 2011, carbon dioxide levels were at 391 ppm, which is 0.0391 percent of the atmosphere. Of that tiny amount 97 percent is naturally produced carbon dioxide.

Somebody needs to tell grumpy Greta ????

There you go, your Google knowledge outshines the knowledge of the scientists.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

There are many more reasons for man made climate change than overpopulation. 

Of course there are, but overpopulation would be the main cause. More people driving more cars, flying, using electricity etc etc etc.

Back in the 50s when world population was a fraction of now, no one was fearful of "climate change".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course there are, but overpopulation would be the main cause. More people driving more cars, flying, using electricity etc etc etc.

Back in the 50s when world population was a fraction of now, no one was fearful of "climate change".

Disagree it is the main cause. 

No was afraid in the 50s as they were not aware of the fact we were destroying our climate. 

Tell me, how would you enforce population control?

Edited by Bluespunk

1 minute ago, nobodysfriend said:

"The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia."

and the human population expanded at an unprecedented rate since the mid 20th century. If people want to blame humans for climate change, blame themselves for breeding too many people.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No was afraid in the 50s as they were not aware of the fact we were destroying our climate. 

Birth control is the way to do that ... not more than 1 kid per family .

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

So, if you disagree, you must have something else in mind- do share, as I'm wondering what that is.

It's not up to me, but if I were dictator of the world I'd impose the Chinese solution on all countries. Unfortunately the Chinese stopped it just when it started to make a difference.

Anyway, given how overcrowded we are, something like the incurable coronavirus currently just arrived in the US from China may do the job. Everything in nature works to balance things. If mankind has become a problem, as it has, nature will come up with some way of eliminating the problem.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So, if you disagree, you must have something else in mind- do share, as I'm wondering what that is.

It's not up to me, but if I were dictator of the world I'd impose the Chinese solution on all countries. Unfortunately the Chinese stopped it just when it started to make a difference.

Anyway, given how overcrowded we are, something like the incurable coronavirus currently just arrived in the US from China may do the job. Everything in nature works to balance things. If mankind has become a problem, as it has, nature will come up with some way of eliminating the problem.

---> nature will come up with some way of eliminating the problem. <---       Yes , it does .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Do you honestly do research? 

Climate change concerns and research started in the nineteen century when John Fourier uncovered the greenhouse effect in 1824, calculating that the planet would be much colder if it didn’t have an atmosphere. On 1859, John Tyndall discovered that certain gases block out infrared radiation and fluctuations in the concentration of these gases could promote climate change. 

and back then people were happy that the world was warming. It was pretty cold back then.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Solution to curbing people having children? I’ve never advocated this.

China’s population growth fell to its lowest level in decades recently.

Their one child policy failed, it did not work.  

Edited by Bluespunk

21 minutes ago, mokwit said:

At just 17 she would almost certainly not be intellectually developed enough to critique the methodology of scientific research, so she can only be spouting someone Else's conclusion.

She is saying the science is settled because someone else said that.

This is precisely why she should not be given a platform on the world stage.

A Century ago the likes of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle were similarly deceived by doe eyed schoolgirls ...

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and back then people were happy that the world was warming. It was pretty cold back then.

I will take this as your acknowledgement that there were concerns about climate change long before Greta’s telling those old fossil deniers. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Their one child policy failed, it did not work.  

It did work. Due to their cultural preference for boys, many, many girls were not raised, which means that in parts of China many, many men can't find a wife to breed with, which in about 20 years time will start to reduce population significantly. Population reduction is never going to happen quickly- it will take decades.

The corona virus may work more quickly.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It did work. Due to their cultural preference for boys, many, many girls were not raised, which means that in parts of China many, many men can't find a wife to breed with, which in about 20 years time will start to reduce population significantly. Population reduction is never going to happen quickly- it will take decades.

The corona virus may work more quickly.

No it didn’t work, it caused more problems than it solved, it did not help reduce climate change, do some research. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/02/china-population-control-two-child-policy

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No it didn’t work, it caused more problems than it solved, it did not help reduce climate change, do some research. 

I'm well aware of the problems, but reducing population was never going to be simple.

Nothing will reduce climate change as it is beyond the ability of humans to control.