Greta Thunberg calls on world leaders to listen to young activists

snoop1130

1 hour ago, teatree said:

Anyone who wants to know why people are skepitcal about climate alarmism please watch this video.  It is full of scientific data to back up the arguments made:

29 minutes ago, alfalfa19 said:

so, did that scientific data come from the 3 percent of the world's scientists who deny climate change?  (and i'm sure it's merely concidence that most of this 3 percent are employed by the fossil fuels industry)

I would suggest that the illustration in this link gives a true picture. It is simply facts of what world temperatures has been doing since the last Ice Age. It is very difficult to dispute the data (However desperate you are to do so). The rapid warming since industrialisation has NO parallel. Climate changes linked to the changes in the earths orbit act over a vast time period compared to this. These effects are measurable, not a matter open to dispute.  

https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1732:_Earth_Temperature_Timeline?fbclid=IwAR2yd4KR8mo3ZyQSfF5bDYdiBt3bB66MijB2mj6Orv-u-mvZCXckycOR07Y

Once again we have this topic where old men blow their gaskets over the activities of a young girl - how pathetic is that. Who she is, or how old she is, is irrelevant, it is the science that matters, she is simply pointing at the science. Anyone could do it, if she wants to do it fair play to her. Probably a good moment though for her to pass the baton. If she is that passionate about climate science, go away and study it, there is a hell of a lot to learn. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Can't we just listen to the old activists that pull the strings and write the scripts for the young activists?

As if Greta ever had an original thought in her life.

Because people don’t listen to them. Look at all the attention she’s brought. 

What kind of original ideas can you bring when the topic is “humans are causing climate change and can and should do something to reverse it.?

That reminds me of a reward offered by flat Earthers. They’d pay anyone who could prove the Earth wasn’t flat, the catch? It had to be an original proof, you couldn’t use anything that anyone had thought of in the past 2000+ years. 

That seems to be the same criteria you’re applying to her. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I would suggest that the illustration in this link gives a true picture. It is simply facts of what world temperatures has been doing since the last Ice Age. It is very difficult to dispute the data (However desperate you are to do so). The rapid warming since industrialisation has NO parallel. Climate changes linked to the changes in the earths orbit act over a vast time period compared to this. These effects are measurable, not a matter open to dispute.  

https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1732:_Earth_Temperature_Timeline?fbclid=IwAR2yd4KR8mo3ZyQSfF5bDYdiBt3bB66MijB2mj6Orv-u-mvZCXckycOR07Y

Once again we have this topic where old men blow their gaskets over the activities of a young girl - how pathetic is that. Who she is, or how old she is, is irrelevant, it is the science that matters, she is simply pointing at the science. Anyone could do it, if she wants to do it fair play to her. Probably a good moment though for her to pass the baton. If she is that passionate about climate science, go away and study it, there is a hell of a lot to learn. 

yes.

9 minutes ago, Guitar God said:

Because people don’t listen to them. Look at all the attention she’s brought. 

What kind of original ideas can you bring when the topic is “humans are causing climate change and can and should do something to reverse it.?

That reminds me of a reward offered by flat Earthers. They’d pay anyone who could prove the Earth wasn’t flat, the catch? It had to be an original proof, you couldn’t use anything that anyone had thought of in the past 2000+ years. 

That seems to be the same criteria you’re applying to her. 

well said.

10 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Even if what you say is true, so what? There is nothing anyone can do to change it, IMO. Perhaps you can provide some affordable, acceptable and doable measures that would work, but out of the mouth of Thunberg narry a thing except alarmism and complaints.

IMO everyone has a right to complain, but they would make a better case if they had some solutions to go along with the complaint.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, alfalfa19 said:

well said.  my brother IS a climate scientist,  he just retired from the NWS as the arizona resident.   he is in complete agreement with Greta.  

Perhaps you can enlighten us as to the measures he proposes to do something, as opposed to being Chicken Little.

They have to be affordable, acceptable and doable.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Guitar God said:

Original ideas from me.

1) Stop all recreational flights, no foreign travel unless on urgent business.

2) Ban the private ownership of motor vehicles, walking, bicycles and public transport only, you are required to live near where you work.

3) Prohibit all single person households (absolutely nobody allowed to live in a home with more bedrooms than people).

4) No private ownership of land, all land use assigned by the state on a basis of need.

5) All elected members of government must have been entirely schooled in government schools, and treated in government hospitals. Members of the 'elite' prohibited by law from holding public office.

That's just for a start, you might not like it, but it would solve many perceived problems (real or imagined) in the western world.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

you are required to live near where you work.

UNLESS there is public transport. I lived a 3 hour underground trip from work in London because it's impossible to find cheap rentals in the city. I actually joined the staff of one hospital so I could live in hospital accomodation, but since I left they sold off the accommodation to rich people. They had to pay us thousands extra to work in London because of the expense living in city limits.

35 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

sea water level rising,

Where I live on the Pacific coast, sea level hasn't risen noticeably in my lifetime. According to the information available, sea level rise is around 3 mm a year.

It would help your case if you didn't use information that is disputable by the evidence of our eyes.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

Clearly you have zero insight into someone suffering from Aspergers.  Allowing her to follow her own path has changed her from being an introvert who hardly attended school and locked herself in her bedroom, to what you see today. Allowing her to be a global advocate of climate change has improved her condition and her quality of life immesurably.

Ah, so you are saying that she had to go to the UN and complain to become a better person. Why don't all the other sufferers of Asperger's get to do that as well?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps you can enlighten us as to the measures he proposes to do something, as opposed to being Chicken Little.

They have to be affordable, acceptable and doable.

perhaps you could do a bit of research on your own, and not try to inspire others to do it for you by ridiculing  them.   for my little bit, (and i realize it's microscopic in comparison to your glorious pronouncements)   i ride my bicycle whenever possible rather than drive,  this includes going to the grocery store, gym, etc, etc.   i eat vegetarian over 50% of the time.   i recycle everything humanly possible,  and don't buy the newest, shiniest piece of <deleted> with its associated plastic packaging, so i can try to be fashionable.   i use as little electricity as possible.    like i said,  this is all very minor i'm sure, to you.  however, i would rather do something than nothing.   and if a hundred million people began doing the same, i'm sure there would be a vast impact.       however, i understand that's it's much easier, and much more fun,  to ridicule those that are trying to do something, and sit around on a barstool making vitriolic remarks .    and, i must admit , i was kind of expecting responses like yours, on this forum.   i still felt the need to say something.  

Edited by alfalfa19
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ah, so you are saying that she had to go to the UN and complain to become a better person. Why don't all the other sufferers of Asperger's get to do that as well?

You tell me. Oh, I forgot, you have zero insight into Aspergers Syndrome.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

UNLESS there is public transport. I lived a 3 hour underground trip from work in London because it's impossible to find cheap rentals in the city. I actually joined the staff of one hospital so I could live in hospital accomodation, but since I left they sold off the accommodation to rich people. They had to pay us thousands extra to work in London because of the expense living in city limits.

Disagree.

Employers not paying enough for staff to work locally, is part of the problem.

You've mentioned one of the fixes yourself.

Pay staff more, provide local housing, of move your place of business.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Where I live on the Pacific coast, sea level hasn't risen noticeably in my lifetime. According to the information available, sea level rise is around 3 mm a year.

It would help your case if you didn't use information that is disputable by the evidence of our eyes.

So the sea level is rising. Finally a convert. This could mean rapid sea level rise of up to 19 mm (0.75 in) per year by the end of the century. The study also concluded that the Paris climate agreement emissions scenario, if met, would result in a median 52 cm (20 in) of sea level rise by 2100.

By the way, could you provide evidence that your Pacific coast sea level hasn’t risen; just to prove your case. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fair enough. Let's say for the sake of discussion that man made climate change is real and is going to kill every man woman and child on the planet. Seems to me that if that were the case the most efficient way of reducing man made climate change is to reduce the number of people, especially as no one alive can actually change climate. Given that man made CO2 in the atmosphere is approximately 3% of atmospheric CO2, even if we stopped using every CO2 emitting machine tomorrow, what difference would it make?

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/07/29/epa-document-supports-3-of-atmospheric-carbon-dioxide-is-attributable-to-human-sources/

Nope, most effective thing can is is enact IPCC recommendations. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

I think he's suggesting that whilst funding for something is available, sections of the scientific community and academics will find something to investigate. 

Hardly a conspiracy theory as funding is what drives research.

100% conspiracy theory if is making lunatic claim results are being created to attract funding.

Double tinfoil hat territory...

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fair enough. Let's say for the sake of discussion that man made climate change is real and is going to kill every man woman and child on the planet. Seems to me that if that were the case the most efficient way of reducing man made climate change is to reduce the number of people, especially as no one alive can actually change climate. Given that man made CO2 in the atmosphere is approximately 3% of atmospheric CO2, even if we stopped using every CO2 emitting machine tomorrow, what difference would it make?

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/07/29/epa-document-supports-3-of-atmospheric-carbon-dioxide-is-attributable-to-human-sources/

Climate change is not going to kill every person on this planet. It however will make some locations not so nice places to live. Some, like in Arctic, will probably become more human friendly places.

But when some areas become less nice places to live, people will move in droves to places which are not too hot, too dry, too wet or too cold. This will change the societies around the world. 

So in case one is against huge amount of immigration, it's best start to support ways to stop or reduce the climate change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, alfalfa19 said:

perhaps you could do a bit of research on your own, and not try to inspire others to do it for you by ridiculing  them.   for my little bit, (and i realize it's microscopic in comparison to your glorious pronouncements)   i ride my bicycle whenever possible rather than drive,  this includes going to the grocery store, gym, etc, etc.   i eat vegetarian over 50% of the time.   i recycle everything humanly possible,  and don't buy the newest, shiniest piece of <deleted> with its associated plastic packaging, so i can try to be fashionable.   i use as little electricity as possible.    like i said,  this is all very minor i'm sure, to you.  however, i would rather do something than nothing.   and if a hundred million people began doing the same, i'm sure there would be a vast impact.       however, i understand that's it's much easier, and much more fun,  to ridicule those that are trying to do something, and sit around on a barstool making vitriolic remarks .    and, i must admit , i was kind of expecting responses like yours, on this forum.   i still felt the need to say something.  

You sound pretty much like me, except I do drive longer distances because a bike isn't much fun when it'd take an hour in the scorching sun to get where I go. Where I live there is zero local public transport.

However, why is it when I ask posters saying the sky is falling for solutions and they always ignore me or say something like you did?

I have yet to read or hear anything from government or people like Greta that is affordable, acceptable and doable that ordinary people can do. Only thing NZ government has done is ban plastic bags ( which is meaningless when everything in a supermarket is wrapped up in plastic ), and try to make people ride bikes in cities like Wellington, which is ludicrous if one knows Wellington.

Conversely, I have posted many suggestions on this forum that might make a difference if governments had the guts to implement them.

Eg wave pumps to move sea water up hill to be released through hydro plants, banning private petrol cars in cities, banning domestic air travel and all international recreational flights.

Many more but not going to repeat them all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1