437 govt schools to be closed Wednesday to tackle severe air pollution

snoop1130

1 hour ago, TomJoad said:

Need another reason to hate smog?

A recent peer-reviewed study indicates that 30% of strokes worldwide are due to air pollution.   Tiny particles less than 2 microns are able to get from the lungs into the bloodstream, where they probably lodge in the linings of arteries and cause inflammation.  

Something to think about when you are on your way to pharmacy to stock up on your Sidegra

5 hours ago, webfact said:

We cannot simply put the blame on people and penalise all the polluters because the outcome of penalty measures will create other serious problems for society," Prayuth told reporters on Monday

Nero fiddles while Thailand burns! In other words, get used to it! Schools were also closed last year at exactly this time. Next year will be worse. They killed the golden goose with their greed. Thailand as a tourist destination is finished.

Edited by mickey rat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:
5 hours ago, webfact said:

due to crop burning

Finally....the true cause is known. How long did that take?

How can you think it's only from crop burning. What about the garbage burning, burning trees (also leaves falling from trees), burning dry grass , aso...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sucit said:

Aren't they more apt to be outside with the day off?

No they will be inside playing games or socializing on their "smart" phones, eating junk food from 711 or shopping (chop-bing bing) with their mother's at the mall just like they do on the weekends. 

• Like 1

HEY GUYS.....Quick Question..

I've worked for 40 years, saved every penny, now I want to retire and finally relax and live the best life possible, stress free!!!!

Let me google.....wow, BKK and CM at the top of the list!!!!

OK, i'm sure I'll make the best decision after working for the man for so long!!

LOLOLOLOLOL.   I feel bad for everyone who wanted to save money, find paradise, and every year they suffer from the death pollution and are too weak and tired to leave.

thanks for playing in life....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tonray said:

In most classrooms in government schools the windows are wide open all year (no AC) and the director has a new Mercedes with the latest in climate control features

Exactly.  Instead of closing schools and making the kids stay at home/play outside and breathe in the bad air, why not provide properly sourced PM2.5 masks for all kids - free of charge -, install filtered a/c in schools, and air purifiers?  Wouldn't the cost be worth it?  Hmmm.

• Like 1

Ok! so how does closing schools stop air pollution? 

This is more as being "seen " to be doing something , something that has no affect whatsoever on the pollution

Sorry did not read above post until now ....same question!

Edited by poohy

7 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Exactly.  Instead of closing schools and making the kids stay at home/play outside and breathe in the bad air, why not provide properly sourced PM2.5 masks for all kids - free of charge -, install filtered a/c in schools, and air purifiers?  Wouldn't the cost be worth it?  Hmmm.

And cut the bosses income perks ?

Maybe and only maybe  if they could get funding and sufficient kickbacks then the product would be substandard 

schools (apart from indoctrination) are not important real  teaching isnt ia priority  in the grand scheme of things

• Like 1

Great - just what they want - less school, less education and you can get they won't forgo the flag saluting, nation according and other general nonsense to foster nationalism for at least 1 hour per day as prescribed by the Ministry if Miseducation.

All essentials to enable a stirring of the people to counter every mishap, corrupt sensation or acts of lunatic nepotism as finger pointing at thise exposing it are denounced as hurting Thailand. It is the biggest smoke up your ass national excuse in the world 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

While burning of crops in the first two months of the year is banned, little is being done to enforce it, and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has expressed helplessness.

Sack the governors, after the first two or three have been removed you will see a change in attitudes!!!!

Many, many years ago (I told you I was old) when we used to do visa train runs to Penang I went 2nd. class fan which had opening windows which were only closed at night. A couple of times I went during the burning season, it was like riding through the blitzcrieg! We all arrived in Butterworth looking like the cast from the Black and White minstrel show (told you I was old.) This burning is done all over South East Asia, until all the countries involved can come up with an effective solution nothing will, or can, change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Borzandy said:

How can you think it's only from crop burning. What about the garbage burning, burning trees (also leaves falling from trees), burning dry grass , aso...

Ah yes , forgot that.   Why do the locals light fires on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere ?  They like smoke , burning dry leaves is ok but then they dump wet grass on the top .

• Like 1

This does nothing to "tackle" air pollution. It does however protect the health of students, while at the same time hurting their education. 

Ban burning, and enforce it. Add strict standards for autos and bite the bullet, or suffer the consequences. Its simple. Thailand has the money to forge ahead, to lift their population. They are choosing a path, for better or worse, they are choosing. It is pure pretention, for the Gov to claim they don't know what to do, or haven't the means to act.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Yom said:

Useful or not. - But, what about the people in the north?

image.png.c24ac4f2b8e9c9c7b028c6216b0c7d13.pngimage.png.62a9f392064dffb1ccab36a10f322615.png

image.png.921bd189ecef509a7b4c71b7212fbbeb.png image.png.c7fd5b489e3247fb09f4f806f23f3539.png

It is bad all over Thailand, almost all over SEA.

image.png.10feb6d5b8a7dfd9fa596b9c75c4c8a2.png

They don't care, if it kills off a few red shirts all the better...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Spend some of that huge budget surplus on modern farm equipment.

Smartest comment here. This IS the solution. A policy that rewards for not burning will be far more effective then imposing penalties that are put out with a wink wink, that will never be enforced. Not to mention it would cause the baht to fall and aid exports.

• Like 2