Thai Medical Support for Alcoholism . (Sheryl ??)

atyclb

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Try your local government psychiatric hospital. Good luck. 

My Thai brother in law was a fall over drunk. He went to the temple and became a monk. He is still there 3 years later but hasn't had a drink since. I think they supported him through his troubles. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

My Thai brother in law was a fall over drunk. He went to the temple and became a monk. He is still there 3 years later but hasn't had a drink since. I think they supported him through his troubles. 

A lot of Thais misunderstand mental health issues and believe it's caused by spirits. Course of treatment is being beaten by other monks to rid you of those demons. Silly place to stick a drunkard anyway as we all know that monks drink.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

https://aathailand.org/th/all-meetings-thai

The good news...  There is a solution.  The bad news... This is it.  More people have overcome alcoholism through AA than any other program.  In fact, even most of the expensive treatment programs aim to get their patients into a 12 Step Program.  

The best news...  It's free.  

The top link is for meetings in Thai.  They'll also know the best resources available in Thailand, inside and outside of AA. 

Anyone considering trying it out, I'd encourage you to go to the 2020 Pattaya Roundup next month.  I'll be going to one in Galveston, Texas this weekend.

The 2020 Pattaya, Thailand AA Roundup

"20/20, A Vision For You"
February 21-23, 2020
The A-1 Royal Cruise Hotel - Pattaya, Thailand

• Like 1

There is spme sort if substance abuse treatment available through government hospitals but my impression is it is geared towards drug abusr.

Government pysch hospitals (there are only a few) can certainly treat both drug and alcohol abuse issues.

In addition AA has chapters throughout the country including meetings and materials in Thai.

And Wat Thamkrabok in the north  offers a unique style of residential treatment free of charge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

There is spme sort if substance abuse treatment available through government hospitals but my impression is it is geared towards drug abusr.

Government pysch hospitals (there are only a few) can certainly treat both drug and alcohol abuse issues.

In addition AA has chapters throughout the country including meetings and materials in Thai.

And Wat Thamkrabok in the north  offers a unique style of residential treatment free of charge.

am i correct to assume any public hospital does detox?

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Wat Thamkrabok

per it webpage uses herbal medicine for detox and also says patients must be off all outside medication.

alcohol detox is serious business and wouldn't want to rely on herbs to control bp or anxiety etc etc.  what is the patient takes medicine for asthma, hypertension, etc etc ?

On 1/22/2020 at 2:44 PM, atyclb said:

per it webpage uses herbal medicine for detox and also says patients must be off all outside medication.

alcohol detox is serious business and wouldn't want to rely on herbs to control bp or anxiety etc etc.  what is the patient takes medicine for asthma, hypertension, etc etc ?

I know a guy that got sober at Wat Thamabrok, he was a falling down drunk who actually wrote a very good book about his life story that I brought on my Kindle 7 or 8 years ago.

He never (to my knowledge I have not spoken to him in years now) had another drink, the programme worked for him. He was from Ireland.

The thing about Thamabrok is that you have to make a sacred pledge never to drink again. It's a one time deal, if you do drink again you can never be re-admitted.

Edited by ThaiPauly
Stating the obvious
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:
On 1/22/2020 at 2:44 PM, atyclb said:

I know a guy that got sober at Wat Thamabrok, he was a falling down drunk who actually wrote a very good book about his life story that I brought on my Kindle 7 or 8 years ago.

He never (to my knowledge I have not spoken to him in years now) had another drink, the programme worked for him. He was from Ireland.

The thing about Thamabrok is that you have to make a sacred pledge never to drink again. It's a one time deal, if you do drink again you can never be re-admitted.

sacred pledges are a dime a dozen where alcoholism is concerned.  in a hospital emergency room where i used to work we had an alcoholic catholic priest frequent flyer that when asked if he'd been drinking literally put his hand on the bible and said no. other things like slurred speech, unsteady gait, alcohol smell on breath and a wildly elevated blood alcohol level said otherwise.

16 minutes ago, atyclb said:

sacred pledges are a dime a dozen where alcoholism is concerned.  in a hospital emergency room where i used to work we had an alcoholic catholic priest frequent flyer that when asked if he'd been drinking literally put his hand on the bible and said no. other things like slurred speech, unsteady gait, alcohol smell on breath and a wildly elevated blood alcohol level said otherwise.

Maybe so, but my point is that if you have been to Thamabrok once you will never be allowed back