Visa exempt entry to Thailand at Phu Nam Ron?

My mother is travelling with me in Myanmar and we aim to exit Myanmar at Htee Khee and enter Thailand at Phu Nam Ron. I have Thai retirement extension with reentry permit however my mother has no Thai visa in her British passport. Can anyone confirm that visa exempt entry would be permitted for her at Phu Nam Ron? Thanks. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

Visa exempt entry will be possible. The officials there run scams, and you may need to pay.

Thanks for the heads up. I've done land entries and exits at Nong Khai, Ranong, and Mae Sot before and its fair to say there's always edgy feeling either way. Mum's 81 years and feisty so woe betide anyone who tries to wrong her. 

not sure about leaving from Burma, but never heard of any scams there, normally 900ish baht to do a border run, ( out from Thailand and back) which includes transport across no mans land, you will have to find transport as no mans land is a long way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure how stamping out of Myanmar and transport across no man's land works if you come from elsewhere in Myanmar instead of doing a visa run from the Thai side.

You might even have trouble locating the Burmese immigration office (border post) to get stamped out - when I went on a visa run there, the van driver took our passports inside a nondescript shack to get the Burmese entry and exit stamps. That said, if you move towards the border as a foreigner and look lost, I'd guess someone will approach you and something can be worked out.

On 1/22/2020 at 8:26 AM, steve187 said:

not sure about leaving from Burma, but never heard of any scams there, normally 900ish baht to do a border run, ( out from Thailand and back) which includes transport across no mans land, you will have to find transport as no mans land is a long way.

I am always surprised that people cannot do the arithmetic and subtract US$10 from 960 baht to calculate the cost of their shared "transport across no-man's land". If you try and use your own transport to cross, you will find that the cost for an in-out is still 960 baht. Although much more time consuming, round trip travel from Kanchanaburi up to Maesot to do the border bounce works out cheaper because that border does not operate similar scams.

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am always surprised that people cannot do the arithmetic and subtract US$10 from 960 baht to calculate the cost of their shared "transport across no-man's land". If you try and use your own transport to cross, you will find that the cost for an in-out is still 960 baht. Although much more time consuming, round trip travel from Kanchanaburi up to Maesot to do the border bounce works out cheaper because that border does not operate similar scams.

you call it a scam, i call it someone offering a service to avoid a long long walk, still the cheapest way of doing a border bounce from Bangkok and surrounding area. looking online the visa for myanmar seem to be around 1,000 baht from the embassy, an evisa is 50 usd, so 960 baht seems a fair price to include transport as well