Oil/Finish for New Wooden House - Recommendations - Interior & Exterior

blakegeee

We are just finishing construction of a wooden house in the mountains. It doesn't have any teak but is a mix of a few types of wood. I am now trying to decide what to finish it all with and have been doing research. Seems there is no easy answer but would like to hear your opinions. 

My main concern is that I don't want something that will eventually peal in places and then require sanding it all off before re-doing it in the future. 

-I would like something that looks fairly natural, not too glossy but pops/shows off the grain. Of course it needs to protect the wood, particularly outside. 

-I am leaning towards teak oil. I just wonder if it will require re-application too often, every year, and everywhere? Or just on certain outside walls? I like the fact that it simply needs re-application without re-sanding, and I like the look. 

-Would I be best to use teak oil inside and something like a stain for outside walls? Will the stain eventually peal and require sanding it all off?

-I read that teak oil is not recommend (according to TOA) for floors. Not sure why? I think that the stains say the same. Global was recommending deck stain for floors.

The house is a bit high, and I know they sprayed Chaindrite on already. I don't think spraying will be an option for any of these finishes though. 

For interest and reference, there are some photos here inside and out. Thanks for any info ????

IMG_2991.thumb.jpeg.eeef05485477aaa266d85c1bc8059cb7.jpeg

IMG_3216.thumb.jpeg.f9736c93f96b8cf6e6901120c0d5b881.jpegIMG_3223.JPG.03f3d8855b513ba0cdd3ff71a7d255d7.JPGIMG_3227.thumb.JPG.015ae8ce0204dc4f8ff14ca1c154e022.JPGIMG_3225.JPG.8c1e03eba8af2a747b62fa37eb44b2cd.JPG

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, blakegeee said:

-I am leaning towards teak oil. I just wonder if it will require re-application too often, every year, and everywhere? Or just on certain outside walls? I like the fact that it simply needs re-application without re-sanding, and I like the look. 

There is no one product called “teak oil” so it’s impossible to advise unless it’s for a particular blend from a particular company. “Teak oil” often has different components, refer to “Teak Oil: The Oil That Doesn’t Exist,” by  Bob Flexner, it almost never has any UV inhibitors in it so isn’t much good outside.

it’s late now so I’ll continue tomorrow.

Ther is a good article on outdoor finishes at https://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/outdoor-finishes/

10 hours ago, blakegeee said:

something like a stain for outside walls? Will the stain eventually peal and require sanding it all off?

the things you will find in Thailand called stain are brown polyurethane paint and completely cover the natural wood.

i have used a Protego finish product, they are available in Thailand, and it’s good though a little labour intensive to get a really good finish. I’ve also used Osmo oil, but that I have imported myself, it seems to be similar to the Protego finish 

Probably the best is epifanes varnish though it is neither cheap nor very easy to apply, 1 litre is 1,500 Coverage: 14 m² per liter 

there is also a 2 part finish that is a bit more expensive.

Mixing ratio is 1:1 by volume. Pot life after mixing 8 hours at 20 C .

Temperature should be between 15 C and 27 C during application. 

Thinner: All applications - Epifanes Thinner for PP Varnish Extra.

Recoatable: After 24 hours at 18C

Brush wet-on-wet after 5hours at 18 C

Spray wet-on-wet after 2.5 hours at 18 C 

Coverage 2 litres is sufficient for 28sq m

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 9:05 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

Ther is a good article on outdoor finishes at https://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/outdoor-finishes/

the things you will find in Thailand called stain are brown polyurethane paint and completely cover the natural wood.

i have used a Protego finish product, they are available in Thailand, and it’s good though a little labour intensive to get a really good finish. I’ve also used Osmo oil, but that I have imported myself, it seems to be similar to the Protego finish 

Probably the best is epifanes varnish though it is neither cheap nor very easy to apply, 1 litre is 1,500 Coverage: 14 m² per liter 

there is also a 2 part finish that is a bit more expensive.

Thanks for the information and links. It sounds like the varnishes/urethanes/epoxies are simply too labour intensive. And if we get behind on maintenance, could require stripping the whole house which is exactly what I want to avoid. 

I have looked at the stains and tested one of them on scrap. You can still see the grain but it is a bit darker than I would have expected. I was hoping for it to be totally clear with just a light tint of the chosen color. But it seems like it will also need stripping eventually which is not what I want.

So I guess I just need to find out the best oil, particularly for UV. Application couldn't be easier so re-applying it every year isn't the end of the world. Basically just spray it on and wipe it off. And I imagine inside wouldn't need to be done so often at all. 

Does anyone which oil has the best UV protection?

1 hour ago, blakegeee said:

Thanks for the information and links. It sounds like the varnishes/urethanes/epoxies are simply too labour intensive. And if we get behind on maintenance, could require stripping the whole house which is exactly what I want to avoid. 

I have looked at the stains and tested one of them on scrap. You can still see the grain but it is a bit darker than I would have expected. I was hoping for it to be totally clear with just a light tint of the chosen color. But it seems like it will also need stripping eventually which is not what I want.

So I guess I just need to find out the best oil, particularly for UV. Application couldn't be easier so re-applying it every year isn't the end of the world. Basically just spray it on and wipe it off. And I imagine inside wouldn't need to be done so often at all. 

Does anyone which oil has the best UV protection?

Did you look at the protego link I gave? 

21 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Did you look at the protego link I gave? 

I missed it the first time but just had a look now. The Thermo Oil and the Exclusive Oil both have the very same description so I guess the color is the only difference. Sounds like it would be the most suitable product for outside walls, and then their decking oil for the porch. I'll have to check out their Interior products more. And I'll contact them to see if this is what they recommend for each area.

What made the application so labour intensive? Keep in mind that this is a house, not a fine piece of furniture so I'm not trying to achieve a super polished look. The wood is not finely sanded at all. With that being said, what have you used protego on? Do you believe in their UV Absorbers being effective? Thanks again for your info! It is appreciated!

10 hours ago, blakegeee said:

What made the application so labour intensive? Keep in mind that this is a house, not a fine piece of furniture so I'm not trying to achieve a super polished look.

I don’t have a super polished look. The labour involved is in putting on the minimum needed, the wood will only absorb so much, and ensuring that if you have over applied it you wipe the excess off otherwise you will have either unsightly drips and runs or an uncured finish for all the bugs to come and die on.

On 1/25/2020 at 11:03 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

I don’t have a super polished look. The labour involved is in putting on the minimum needed, the wood will only absorb so much, and ensuring that if you have over applied it you wipe the excess off otherwise you will have either unsightly drips and runs or an uncured finish for all the bugs to come and die on.

Oh, okay. That doesn't seem too bad. It is expensive so we will have to be careful not wasting it. Did you use it on a house too? Any idea about the UV effectiveness?

8 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

As we only use wood on doors, door frames and furniture, I’ve no idea. At the moment the only outside door is using Osmo, so again no idea.

Oh okay. So no real known advantage to teak oil (with claimed UV absorbers) then. Although this brand does have the floor oil which teak oils don't seem to recommended for. 

8 hours ago, blakegeee said:

So no real known advantage to teak oil (with claimed UV absorbers) then.

Did you read the information I posted links to? Because if so you should know your statement/question  has no meaning.

There are products that have UV protection that workers, epifanes is one.