Sorayuth’s final message before going to prison

webfact

Sorayuth’s final message before going to prison

sor-21.jpg

Former TV celebrity Sorayuth Suthasanachinda, convicted of embezzling 138 million baht in advertising fees from The Mass Communications Organization of Thailand (MCOT), said that he is ready to face the consequences of his actions in full awareness that the Supreme Court cannot overturn his conviction in two lower courts.

“I have fought (the case) in accordance with legal process. Whatever the outcome, I have to accept it,” said the well-known news anchor on Instagram today (Tuesday), ahead of the Supreme Court delivering its ruling. His original prison term of 13 years and four months was reduced to 8 years.

Sorayuth said that he had already repaid the 138 million baht to the MCOT and that he accepts the two lower court verdicts and had never thought of fleeing the country. “Of course, I am afraid of being jailed, but I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth, never had a life such that I could not spend time in prison. The past 30 years of working, I would say, has sometimes been tougher than prison, but the most important thing in those 30 years was my freedom.”

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/sorayuths-final-message-before-going-to-prison/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Haha 1

I remember him well. I watched him daily.

He had very much a style and arrogant attitude not dissimilar to the UK's Piers Morgan.

He could be right on many things he said but it was usually over shadowed with the need for the limelight and making it all about himself.

Anyway, he paid the money back only after he was bang to rights and then tried denying he was trying to embezzle it.

Maybe he can do a prison radio station whilst reflecting the error of his ways, greedy <deleted>.

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

Just watched a eulogy to him on Channel 3 with an emotional, tearful speech from his former co-presenter and a sentimental photo montage to finish. I appreciate that this was a presentation by his former work colleagues and was bound to be a bit biased but had to ask why he was being portrayed as some sort of hero rather than just another convict. 

There's a good scene in Die Hard (aren't they all good) where Holly McClane accuses Hans Gruber of being nothing more than a 'common thief'. Enraged and offended by her accusation, he rebuts with, "I'm an exceptional thief!". At least he knew he was a thief. 

It's amazing how people can delude themselves, and others, into ignoring their actions and buying into their empty words. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

but I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth

But you embezzled the company so you had a life of riches... bye bye trash stop bleating and do the time.

Hope the missus waits for you to come out!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

From now on it will no longer be about stealing millions of baht, but all about stealing fish heads from your cellmates' soup. Enjoy your own personal reality show, Mr. Sorrayuth. 

You really think this? He will get cordon bleu meals delivered every day, just pay the guards. Probably a private cell too.

• Like 2

It's not very often you see an influential person got to prison in Thailand
but seems he was stealing from the Army TV channels and that's a big mistake.
Look forward to hearing about those Civil Servants stealing from the Destitute fund go to prison soon
any news on that or they still working as advisors to the pm? 

• Thanks 2

He always came across as very arrogant, nodding his head like a peacock as he put the world to rights.

I never liked him and wasn't surprised that he was simply a common thief beneath his self righteousness. Let's hope he's the first of many, although I suspect the only reason he's doing time is that he wasn't prepared to share the loot with the right people.

2 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Looks like he is the scapegoat in a wider rip off of the behind the scenes army owned channels that's according to my Mrs ???? 

Our missuses seem to be right sherlocks - let that be a lesson if you want to play hooky. 

Mine reckons it will be a cush private cell , imported food and all the luxuries befitting a man of note. It won't be the hell holes we've all seen online.

Edited by URMySunshine
  • Like 1

He was extremely popular for many years, recognised in every household. I believe he actually owned his morning show on Channel 3 and thus brought in millions of baht a day through advertising.

And then an evening interview with whoever featured in the news that day. Sometimes I thought he was insensitive, probing someone who had just lost a child in an accident, for example.

And then he had programmes every Saturday and Sunday. For 10 or more years he literally didn't have a day off.

I couldn't understand it, so rich yet still so driven to work relentlessly.

He'll be out in 3 years, probably back on Channel 3!

Just a general point. 

Posts keep referencing the fact that Ch3 is owned by the military.

My understanding was that Ch3 was the main one NOT owned by the military, and it's Ch5 & 7 that the military own outright.

Now MCOT the other partner in ownership of Ch3 with BEC is a government organization, but on the civilian side....if there is any distinction these days!