One teen student dead, 8 injured after pick up driver checks message on his phone

webfact

One teen student dead, 8 injured after pick up driver checks message on his phone

1pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

An 18 year old pick-up driver who fled the scene after killing a student told police that he had momentarily looked down at a Line message that popped up on his phone. 

Narubet, 18, said he had been following a 10 wheel truck when he got the message. When he looked back up he was right up the rear of the truck and swerved left then right to try and avoid a collision. 

He said he hit something but was not sure what - he fled in a panic but was stopped further down the Ban Praew - Phraprathon Road in Samut Sakhon yesterday evening. 

He had hit the back of a minivan taking nine students home from Sirinthorn Ratchawithayalai School, Nakhon Pathom. 

1pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

The driver lost control of the van that ended up on its side after hitting a lamppost in the central reservation. 

Dead at the scene was 16 year old M5 student Phathit. The eight injured were taken to three area hospitals. 

The driver only suffered minor injuries and did not need hospital treatment.

Local officials were visiting the injured and providing moral support to parents, reported 77 kaoded. 

Police were testing the urine of the pick-up driver after the accident around 5.30 pm yesterday. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-22
  • Sad 5

Thai's can obviously see and read about these accidents daily it's on the the TV also but it just does not seem to sink in.

Phuket police want to pat themselves on the back after no deaths 7 days of danger, fair enough but what now? back to normal I ask myself?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

I ride around Bangkok a lot, drivers using phones is epidemic, I would say at least 1 in 4 are doing it while driving.  

I too travel around Bangkok a lot every day , by foot, motorcycle or taxi (and of course BTS/MRT).

Actually what is more alarming is the number of food delivery motorcycles using their GPS maps. I have seen a couple of minor accidents while they were trying to read the maps.

Edited by petedk
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

This is why some countries have created the crime of Vehicular Homicide. Is Thailand one of them? 

This is slightly OT, although linked to the above:

I see there's some discussion in the UK at the moment about changing the law so someone causing death by dangerous driving would be give a life prison sentence.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, petedk said:

I too travel around Bangkok a lot every day , by foot, motorcycle or taxi (and of course BTS/MRT).

Actually what is more alarming is the number of food delivery motorcycles using their GPS maps. I have seen a couple of minor accidents while they were trying to read the maps.

Absolutely! The city full of a arrogant careless selfish irrational people, These couriers are a menace and walking is hazardous because they " arent looking where they are going !"

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

I ride around Bangkok a lot, drivers using phones is epidemic, I would say at least 1 in 4 are doing it while driving.  

And on motorbikes too. Pedestrians are glued to their phones. I like to stop walking when I see them blindly walking towards me !

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Thai's can obviously see and read about these accidents daily it's on the the TV also but it just does not seem to sink in.

What needs to happen is T.V. to do a follow up. e.g.  " remember the guy who killed somebody last week while he was using his mobile phone while driving. He has got 10 years in jail"

The need for the story itself is not enough , people need to see the consequences of the actions.

7 hours ago, balo said:

That says it all really. Another life lost and all caused by a stupid smart phone. 

Yet Thais will continue using them whilst driving (or texting riding a bike!!), because they know that penalties were a joke. So sad. RIP to the young student.

• Like 1

Because driving laws are not enforced in Thailand, the authorities condone this behavior.  Everyone does it-even adults with children on a motorbike with no helmets.  Everything is fine, as long as the money keeps flowing in the backchannels.  I have never experienced a society so passive when it comes to the deaths of so many thousands of children-that is not at war

• Like 2