One teen student dead, 8 injured after pick up driver checks message on his phone

webfact

8 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

you CAN"T use your bloody phone while you are driving, because it gets people killed.

most of those  minivan drivers are PERMANENTLY  on them for the entire  trip..........Wife has sat next to the tossers many a  time

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

This is why some countries have created the crime of Vehicular Homicide. Is Thailand one of them? 

Do you think that would make any difference, stop people driving as they do? This is Thailand, where everyone does exactly as they want all the time, no matter what the consequences may be to them and others, and no matter what the law - which is rarely if ever enforced - says.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tops said:

What is the difference between a van and minivan ?

image.jpeg.a724a84ada2a7b3fd750efcddb23eba3.jpeg                  image.jpeg.3fbfd82b41c997e45f9326d8045778a4.jpeg

Toyota Van/bus in Thailand 2020                         Austin/Morris mini van  1960 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Do you think that would make any difference, stop people driving as they do? This is Thailand, where everyone does exactly as they want all the time, no matter what the consequences may be to them and others, and no matter what the law - which is rarely if ever enforced - says.

I don’t know if it would make any difference today. But you have to start somewhere, and until a law is on the books, you haven’t started.

57 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

I don’t know if it would make any difference today. But you have to start somewhere, and until a law is on the books, you haven’t started.

You mean like laws on the book about riding in the back of pickups, wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle, driving on the correct side of the road, the minimum age for driving, laws about using the meter in a taxi........ You can have a law on the books, but unless you have a police force that enforces those laws you are going nowhere. And Thailand does not have that. Step one is not passing laws, but having a police force that does the job it is paid for. Anything else is hot air.

And to get that police force means starting from scratch, maybe recruited from the army who otherwise do who knows what all day. Same as they need to get everyone who drives a car to actually learn the rules of the road (and that law is not Me First), and then take a realistic driving test. And neither are going to take place because it's too hard and Thais do not do hard. They do the least they can get away with, as they have no pride in their job.

It might change down the road, but it will take at least, at least, a couple of generations to change the mindset here. And passing law after law with no effective means of enforcement isn't going to play a part. None at all.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You mean like laws on the book about riding in the back of pickups, wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle, driving on the correct side of the road, the minimum age for driving, laws about using the meter in a taxi........ You can have a law on the books, but unless you have a police force that enforces those laws you are going nowhere. And Thailand does not have that. Step one is not passing laws, but having a police force that does the job it is paid for. Anything else is hot air.

And to get that police force means starting from scratch, maybe recruited from the army who otherwise do who knows what all day. Same as they need to get everyone who drives a car to actually learn the rules of the road (and that law is not Me First), and then take a realistic driving test. And neither are going to take place because it's too hard and Thais do not do hard. They do the least they can get away with, as they have no pride in their job.

It might change down the road, but it will take at least, at least, a couple of generations to change the mindset here. And passing law after law with no effective means of enforcement isn't going to play a part. None at all.

Wow. I’m glad you got that off your chest. Do you live in Bangkok? Or elsewhere in The Kingdom? Not bashing you here, but If you do I’m wondering why.

Edited by Ramen087

2 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

Wow. I’m glad you got that off your chest. Do you live in Bangkok? Or elsewhere in The Kingdom? Not bashing you here, but If you do I’m wondering why.

Been here for 25+ years. I live here because I have family here. It's a very different place from when I arrived. Anything I wrote that you disagree with? Just curious.

Is there no end to the incompetence of drivers on the roads in Thailand. Too fast, lack of training, basic lack of any road sense. The deaths mounting up and well the Government wrings its hands and state a difficult problem to fix.

Well if your concerned about the extra judicial killing of the population, lack of any stringent enforcement, Paltry fines, then the answer is simple, but as it appears to be the case , none of the above really concern the Government then as per usual nothing will happen and we should all make sure we are safe while on the roads. 

17 hours ago, Redline said:

Because driving laws are not enforced in Thailand, the authorities condone this behavior.  Everyone does it-even adults with children on a motorbike with no helmets.  Everything is fine, as long as the money keeps flowing in the backchannels.  I have never experienced a society so passive when it comes to the deaths of so many thousands of children-that is not at war

There is a young mum near me about 18 yrs old who drives her M/C with her baby EVERYWHERE she goes, and everyday glued to her phone. She even one time was pushing a stroller looking at her phone and went off the road. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

There is a young mum near me about 18 yrs old who drives her M/C with her baby EVERYWHERE she goes, and everyday glued to her phone. She even one time was pushing a stroller looking at her phone and went off the road. 

We had one who had twins, riding a bike with one under her arm and the other in a the basket on the front

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

They were great them little mini vans I done some shagging in one of them back in the 60's with me 8 track stereo blasting away

With the amount of room in the back of those things, even Mr Bean would be impressed.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

They were great them little mini vans I done some shagging in one of them back in the 60's with me 8 track stereo blasting away

I remember the 8 track stereo! Were you listening to Humphrey Lyttelton?

Or perhaps taking instructions from here:

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Been here for 25+ years. I live here because I have family here. It's a very different place from when I arrived. Anything I wrote that you disagree with? Just curious.

Disagree with?  I really don’t think about it that much.  It seems that you’ve been ruminating about the state of things here for quite a while and have strong opinions about it.  I’m not nearly as emotionally invested.