UK government suffers fourth defeat on Brexit legislation in House of Lords

webfact

UK government suffers fourth defeat on Brexit legislation in House of Lords

2020-01-19T031203Z_1_LYNXMPEG0I029_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-POLITICS-JOHNSON.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson leaves Downing Street in London, Britain January 15, 2020. REUTERS/Simon Dawson/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Boris Johnson's government suffered a fourth defeat on its Brexit legislation when members of parliament's upper chamber voted on Tuesday to ensure protections for child refugees after Britain leaves the European Union.

Johnson's Conservatives won a large majority in the lower chamber, the House of Commons, in a Dec. 12 election and earlier this month lawmakers there quickly approved the legislation needed to ratify his exit deal with Brussels.

But the House of Lords, where Johnson's government does not have a majority, made three changes to the legislation on Monday, including over the rights of EU citizens after Brexit.

On Tuesday, the Lords voted 300 to 220 to ensure unaccompanied child refugees can continue to be reunited with family in Britain, a promise made by Johnson's predecessor Theresa May but stripped from his legislation.

"The signal the government is sending by this is a very negative one, it is not a humanitarian signal," said Alf Dubs, an opposition Labour lord who fled to Britain as a child to escape the Nazis, and who proposed the change to the bill.

Johnson's spokesman said the government would seek to overturn the changes made to the Brexit legislation when the bill returns to the House of Commons later this week.

(Reporting by Kylie MacLellan; editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-01-22
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I think that the people of Gibraltar should not get their hopes up that the UK government will work on their behalf if what they want doesn't replicate exactly the wishes of one of the home nations. Whole UK family? What utter tosh. 

(formatting below my own to highlight my incredulity at the nonsense that is said by Westminster).

Brexit: UK to decide on Gibraltar-EU travel deal

"After we leave, the UK will be negotiating the future relationship with the EU on behalf of the whole UK family, including Gibraltar. Working closely together, the UK and Gibraltar Governments have always supported arrangements at the border with Spain which promote fluidity and shared prosperity in the region," the UK spokesperson said.

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Surely 'Unequals' until such time as the major shareholder is finally allowed to join in?

(55M ???????????????????????????? outnumber all the others combined yet are the only Country in ???????????????????? without their own Parliament thanks to a slight-of-hand con trick by Binnoccio in the 90s!)

Why does England need its own Parliament , when it has the Legislative grand committee to deal with English only matters

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

But we are union of countries, not a union of peoples. Rightly, you point out that one of those countries is significantly larger in population than the other 3, but if this means that the wishes of the largest country takes precedence over the wishes of the smaller countries merely by virtue of size then it means we are not a nation of equals. 

Personally, I hope Johnson continues to show contempt for the wishes of the democratically elected devolved parliaments, maybe even attempt to neuter them - I would love that to be mooted next.

Their* current thinking is to divide ???????????????????????????? into 9 mickey mouse regions, further diluting our identity and riding rough shod over the courts & constitution as we've all seen in the recent past.

(*Traitors + EU)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

On Tuesday, the Lords voted 300 to 220 to ensure unaccompanied child refugees can continue to be reunited with family in Britain, a promise made by Johnson's predecessor Theresa May but stripped from his legislation.

Agreed, send the parents back home...!!!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

MPs just slavishly vote as they are told by their parties. They do not want to get de-selected. Very few of them pay any attention to what is actually IN the legislation. The House of Lords do not have any need to follow their parties instructions, and do a lot of good work identifying all the (often deliberate) loopholes and omissions in the legislation. Those who don't care about a bill just do not turn up that day (Yes, there are some freeloader lords who just turn up for the money, but you only get paid if you clock in)

I'm not disagreeing that the House of Lords is an anachronism. But having a house that do not have to follow the party line means they can critically analyse legislation. No point having 2 houses who are just rubber stamps. The last thing we need is a house of Lords elected on party lines.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

A lot of (incorrect) assumptions there. 

And "racism"...really? I wasn't aware the EU is now a race ????

Your country was bullied into voting again on the Lisbon Treaty, right?  

???? you are a real good buddy of the Clown's twins...... Borat...sorry Boris and Donald.. ????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2