Non-OA health insurance Chaeng Wattan madness

So I'm trying to understand the practical impact of this... for folks with O-A visa extensions of stay requiring insurance (and they DO require insurance, BTW...)

AFAIK, I've heard that some of the Thai insurers are willing to write policies for that month or weeks stub period, at a prorated premium amount, and then have the full year follow-on policy that matches one's extension period...

And if someone was able to do that with their Thai insurer on the front end for the first time, then I think they'd be OK for future cycles, as their annual insurance period would match their annual extension period... and they could apply to Immigration early because they'd already have valid insurance in force each successive year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

So now I have to ask Aetna to change not the date but the TIME to something like 9 AM so I’ll have a chance of getting my extension

Is there a chance that immigration would then object that you do not have a policy for the whole period of your extension (you would not be covered from (09:00-23:59 on the last day)? If they want to be stupid, are there any limits?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Is there a chance that immigration would then object that you do not have a policy for the whole period of your extension (you would not be covered from (09:00-23:59 on the last day)? If they want to be stupid, are there any limits?

I wondered the same since it's hard to see why they would be so worried that the first minute is not covered, if they apparently don't care about the last.  I thought of raising it with the Supervisor but given the way she kept arguing in circles and ignoring the plain logic of my position made me conclude it would be a waste of time.  So to answer your question, no there are none.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So I'm trying to understand the practical impact of this... for folks with O-A visa extensions of stay requiring insurance (and they DO require insurance, BTW...)

AFAIK, I've heard that some of the Thai insurers are willing to write policies for that month or weeks stub period, at a prorated premium amount, and then have the full year follow-on policy that matches one's extension period...

And if someone was able to do that with their Thai insurer on the front end for the first time, then I think they'd be OK for future cycles, as their annual insurance period would match their annual extension period... and they could apply to Immigration early because they'd already have valid insurance in force each successive year.

I do think that would work.  The Supervisor said if I could prove that I NOW have the requisite insurance levels as well as the certificate stating that on 12 Feb (my extension date) my new policy will kick in with the same levels, she would have gone ahead as usual and issued me my extension in advance.  That's why I said in my first post that they in effect are requiring two certificates.  Unfortunately Aetna didn't anticipate this problem when they adjusted my policy to match my extension dates so didn't boost coverage on the stub period and didn't of course give me a certificate for it.  And I had no idea at all that I'd find myself in the Matrix.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

However, I'm concerned that the CW officers may balk at extending a stay for 364 days when they're used to extending for a full year (and maybe policy even requires it).   So I put it out to you all:  is it common for CW to issue a retirement extension for something less than a year?  @ubonjoe  would probably know that

The extension would still be for one year but would start on the day you apply for the extension.

There are a few situations where your extension would start on the date you apply.

Less than a year normally only happens when your passport has less than 12 months of validity.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Because under Thai insurance law, they say, all policies of any kind must have an effective time of 4:30.  So nix that fix.

I just looked at my Pacific Cross policy, and it indeed is valid from 16:31 hours this year to 16:30 hours a year from the issuance date... Only in Thailand!!!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

However, I'm concerned that the CW officers may balk at extending a stay for 364 days when they're used to extending for a full year (and maybe policy even requires it).   So I put it out to you all:  is it common for CW to issue a retirement extension for something less than a year? 

The curious part is, the TM7 form doesn't have the year term prepopulated. It asks the applicant to fill in the requested term. Obviously, everyone always writes one year or 365 days, I'd assume. I've never thought of a situation where you might want to write 360 days or such.... until now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The curious part is, the TM7 form doesn't have the year term prepopulated. It asks the applicant to fill in the requested term. Obviously, everyone always writes one year or 365 days, I'd assume. I've never thought of a situation where you might want to write 360 days or such.... until now.

You will only now get an extension end date that matches the expiry date of Insurance. That's how it now works

Edited by Lovethailandelite
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

Not terrified but more likely a bunch of sadists ...

In fairness and to make the story even more complex, I should add that the Supervisor who jerked me around for over 4 hours in the end seemed to take pity on me (I may have been in tears at that point, can't remember exactly but I know I'd eaten my now stale-dated bank letter and bank book copies) and made this offer:  If I just stick with my existing Aetna certificate and return to CW on 12 Feb (my expiry date) at around 4:00 PM, and ask for her, she would make sure my extension gets registered that day (presumably around 4:31 PM as everybody is leaving).  I pointed out that, magnanimous as that was, it would mean that I would not get my re-entry visa because for sure those people would not wait around for me to get the copy of the extension, etc.  She acknowledge this and suggested I get one in the airport on the way out whenever I travel next.  I told her I am often too rushed at the airport to consider such a thing and then she suggested I just come back to CW another time to get the permit.  I guess to her going to CW every day is just what life is about - after all, she does it.  But this may in fact be the way the story ends for me since Aetna's various workarounds all seem uncertain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't wish to be a Mel Gibson conspiracy post but do Thai imm wish to kill off extensions based on original O-A? 

Seems like, smells like!

Unlikely that that would go down too well with their TGIA insurer bedmates, though!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The extension would still be for one year but would start on the day you apply for the extension.  ...

I don't think that would work because my insurance would cover me from 11 Feb 2020 - 11 Feb 2021 but my extension would be from 12 Feb 2020 (the first day I could apply given my policy starts 11 Feb at 4:30 PM) expiring 12 Feb 2021, with the result that the last day of my extension would not be covered by my policy.  Aetna obviously thought this too which is why they suggested requesting an extension of 364 days which would begin on 12 Feb 2020 (covered) and end on 11 Feb 2021 (still covered).  I just wonder if the CW officers will do that for me.  

21 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Aetna obviously thought this too which is why they suggested requesting an extension of 364 days which would begin on 12 Feb 2020 (covered) and end on 11 Feb 2021 (still covered).  I just wonder if the CW officers will do that for me. 

It shouldn't matter too much, I would have thought, whether you put 365 or 364 days in the TM7. Immigration should go by your insurance end date as stated in Aetna's certificate and extend you on that basis. Just as they would if your passport were to expire on, say, 11 Feb 2021: your stay would only be extended until that expiry date and not until 12 Feb 2021 even if you had put 365 days in the TM7.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Shot down!  Waited four hours for Inspector.  He never 

These one to two years, there has been more and more documents and additional requirements making it tougher for aliens to extend their visa in Thailand.

Is it possible for the insurance company to add a few days backwards ? or must the insurance policy be exactly one year, no less and no more?

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

These one to two years, there has been more and more documents and additional requirements making it tougher for aliens to extend their visa in Thailand.

Is it possible for the insurance company to add a few days backwards ? or must the insurance policy be exactly one year, no less and no more?

I don't wish to keep sticking nose in but I have one question. 

Cannot folk that originally entered Thailand on a Non O-A see the writing on the wall. It's obvious. O-A is history. 

Many folk here eg USA and other countries you can obtain good health cover. 

Why subject yourself to this Thai useless health insurance. Change to Non O based on retirement or whatever. Simple. F em

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

System  gone  mad ! How in any sense of  logic, rationale or simple common sense expect people to have existing  insurance on an extension which pre dates an application for  renewal when on the existing extension it was  not a mandatory  requirement?

Any further  continuation of permission to stay takes  effect (if  approved) on the  date  following the expiry of the last extension, not from the date preceding application.

I said the same thing at least 10 times to the frontline officer and the Supervisor.  They both replied every time with the mantra “you don’t have insurance NOW.”   As if I had overlooked that obvious defect in my analysis.   

• Like 1