Driving points system: Drivers banned after reaching 100 points - report

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai drivers will only be banned when they have accumulated 100 points on their licences

How do you 'accumulate' 100 points on a system that starts off with 12 points which are deducted by x points after an offence?

And this from only a few months ago:

Licences will be suspended for up to 180 days if more than six points are deducted in any three-year period.

Drink-driving carries a potential 35-point penalty, a maximum jail term of five years and/or a fine of up to 300,000 baht, as well as a five-year driving licence suspension.

As usual, words mean nothing when it comes to the law.

this system should be linked to their Thai (or otherwise) ID, so regardless of if they have a license or not (or try to hide it) it would bite them in the ass anyways

the police should have the power to seize a vehicle and sell them at auctions if necessary (or destroy it if it was some worthless vehicle)

no helmet with motorbike 3-4 times?

seize the vehicle and force them to pay a fine that climbs up every time they are caught. 1000-2000-3000-4000-5000 baht?

can't pay the fine? auction the vehicle real cheap and give them the change (lol)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

Might as well do as you want on the roads then  . . . .  ????

They do... and will continue to do so.

I've said more times than there are accidents Thais will not change their road habits & the officials will not stop them from going about their daily business!

This is just the confirmation of how it is and how it's going to remain... the same!!!!

1 hour ago, kekalot said:

the police should have the power to seize a vehicle and sell them at auctions if necessary (or destroy it if it was some worthless vehicle

The driver/offender may not be the owner of the vehicle.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

One point: Using a mobile phone while driving, not wearing a seatbelt or helmet, riding on the sidewalk

Two points: Going through red lights or going the wrong way

Three points: Organizing street racing, fleeing the scene of an accident or driving under the influence of drugs

Four points: DUI and driving while intoxicated with 200mg of alcohol in the blood and causing injury or death

And no points for driving without a license?

How about wrong parking, not using indicators, driving without lights, steering a motor vehicle under the legal age, not stopping at zebra crossings, exceeding the speed limit, overloading transport vehicles, transporting goods unsecured or in a dangerous manner, disregarding traffic signs, crossing a railway line while the barriers are down, making u-turns where prohibited, driving a motor vehicle on pedestrian walkways, overtaking on the hard shoulder or before gradients, not building a lane for approaching emergency vehicles,  etc. etc.?

A lot seems to be missing in this "catalogue".

Yes, go "study" the point systems of Germany and Switzerland (at tax payer cost, of course). You certainly have a lot to learn. For instance, in Germany it's enough to accumulate 8 (EIGHT!!!) points in a calendar year to lose the driving license for at least six months. Under such harsh conditions the average Thai motorist would have to hand in their license within 24 hours maximum. 

6 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

how many points for driving without (ever having) a license?

how many points for driving while banned?

No problem because there is no traffic enforcement anyway. One must be issued a ticket before points are issued and if one does not even have a license then it can not be revoked.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

They do... and will continue to do so.

I've said more times than there are accidents Thais will not change their road habits & the officials will not stop them from going about their daily business!

This is just the confirmation of how it is and how it's going to remain... the same!!!!

I refuse to believe this - I mean, I think it's very likely that you're right and the lawlessness on the roads has gone too far to ever be rectified, but based on the adherence to rules and regulations I witness in the BTS and the Metro in BKK I still want to maintain some hope that the Thai people can change their ways. The queuing is very disciplined and I never see anyone eating where they're not supposed to. 

7 hours ago, androokery said:

I refuse to believe this - I mean, I think it's very likely that you're right and the lawlessness on the roads has gone too far to ever be rectified, but based on the adherence to rules and regulations I witness in the BTS and the Metro in BKK I still want to maintain some hope that the Thai people can change their ways. The queuing is very disciplined and I never see anyone eating where they're not supposed to. 

I've seen the drivers in China improve in leaps and bounds- all down to cameras and enforcement in the last 10 years.  In fact, when I moved to Thailand in 2011, Thai drivers were better.  But Chinese drivers improved to the point they're much safer today.  Thai drivers, no improvement.

On 1/22/2020 at 11:50 AM, evadgib said:

Songkran and Easter!

Easter, is there any evidence that the very small number of Christian Thai's drink and drive, guess there is every chance of it happening during the long holiday break given for Easter ????????????