The Chinese are coming! Raja ferry to Samui expects 30,000 for "Golden Week"

webfact

The Chinese are coming! Raja ferry to Samui expects 30,000 for "Golden Week"

7pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

A senior manager at Raja Ferry reported that the first batch of Chinese holidaymakers had arrived in Koh Samui at the start of a period known as "Golden Week".

The week encompasses the Chinese National Day and Chinese New Year. 

Apichart Chayophat told Manager that 500 were already in Samui.

Some 30,000 are expected over the next week visiting Samui and Koh Phangan. 

Chinese New Year day is on Saturday when people will be welcoming the Year of the Rat. 

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-22
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Chinese National Day is October 1st.

Remarkably long weeks in Samui......

That newspaper article can't seem go get the dates right. It's only Chinese New Year and NOT national day.

26 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

If my stats hold up, at least a few Chinese out of the 30k would be carrying the deadly pneumonia-like illness, - and passing it onto the Samui population.  

Expect a further Chinese New Year outbreak, folks. And it won't be just a few victims, is my guess.

We are all doomed - again ????

45 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

If my stats hold up, at least a few Chinese out of the 30k would be carrying the deadly pneumonia-like illness, - and passing it onto the Samui population.  

Expect a further Chinese New Year outbreak, folks. And it won't be just a few victims, is my guess.

'At least a few' is a statistic?

Are you working for Bloomberg by any chance?

22 hours ago, Traubert said:

'At least a few' is a statistic?

Are you working for Bloomberg by any chance?

There are several variables, e.g. place of origin in China, age, lifestyle, health, infection causes, etc. - depending on how deep it's taken - a bit like polls - that would influence the numbers and outcome. Without wishing to over-egg the rationale, I consider it's a reasonable correlation that a few infected Chinese would be carrying the disease on arrival to Samui. 

I used to work in Compliance in the UK finance industry for many decades, so stats are used, e.g. as trend guidelines for investment decisions, not as a 'complete' definitive answer. Otherwise I would be a billionaire and not living an existential life here in CM.

However, it's clear that continuing outbreaks in China could be regarded as an increasing illness trend and likely to surface in Thailand again when these 30k Chinese arrive for their New Year. If they choose to catch the Samui ferry the population in Surat Thani, and Nakhon Sri Thammarat mainland areas could be affected. 

• 2 weeks later...