NZ superannuation

Hi fellow Kiwis,    Not quite sure if this is the correct forum section, I will hit retirement age in 2 years time, & I want to ask any Kiwis that are retired and living in Thailand about NZ super payments.   I’ve gone over the NZ govt. website but it isn’t clear about receiving super payments living overseas, from what I can see, I have to live in NZ for more than 6 months per year to receive my pension ?    If any Kiwis are getting their govt. pension and living in Thailand for more than 6 months, how is that possible?  Or have I misread the govt. website.    Any info is much appreciated.

Jon.

OP, first up I'm not NZ.

Thinking you need to clear up superannuation as distinct from Pensions (gov) in your post for clear advice. 

In OZ what people refer to as "old age pension". This is money from gov.

That is different to money stream from someone's super fund if they have one.

As a Kiwi, you can receive the pension whether you're living in New Zealand or living outside the country.

The first thing you need to be aware of is to qualify for the pension (irrespective of where you're living), you must have spent at least 10 years in New Zealand after age 20, and at least 5 years in New Zealand after age 50.

If you're living in New Zealand, to get the full pension you must spend at least half the year in New Zealand.

If you're living outside New Zealand, you can still get the pension, but it won't be the full pension. Rather, it will be an amount calculated on how many years you lived in New Zealand, between ages 20 and 65. There is an international pensions department who can help you with this, work out how much you will get and advise you how to set up payments at a bank account in Thailand, if that is what you prefer.

I hope this helps. Any questions, fire away!