Transfer info/Password info

Two Questions:

I just initiated my first transfer from my Charles Schwab acct to my Bangkok Bank savings account to cover the B800K retirement extension requirement. I received notification from Schwab that the money has been sent.  How long does it usually take a transfer to be posted to a Bangkok Bank account?

My Bangkok Bank VISA debit card still has 2 years validity remaining.  I stopped by my home branch to update my password to the new 6 digit requirement. "Mai Dai" she said.  "Can not change the password of the existing VISA card, must get new Mastercard".  

"Horse manure", I thought.  I figure she's just trying to push the new cards.   

Can one update Bangkok Bank passwords using an Bangkok Bank ATM?

All cards must be chip type now and suspect that old Visa is not.  So yes the MasterCard or UnionPay would be required.

As for updating passwords on on ATM have no idea but do they even have provision for a keyboard?  

• Thanks 1

Why would you need to change the PIN from 4 digits to 6 digits?

If 4 digits still works, then use it.

Still happily using my BKB VISA debit card, even though they said it would stop working in 2018, then told me it would stop working in 2019. I'm guessing it'll work with a 4 digit pin until 2022, the date on the card.

Edited by BritManToo

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Why would you need to change the PIN from 4 digits to 6 digits?

If 4 digits still works, then use it.

Still happily using my BKB VISA debit card, even though they said it would stop working in 2018, then told me it would stop working in 2019. I'm guessing it'll work with a 4 digit pin until 2022, the date on the card.

Have you used since they became invalid on January 15th?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Guess they missed another deadline - was supposed to be end of year and then January 15.

You were right, I was wrong!

Tried it today, it didn't work in the ATM this time .... grrrrrr ........

400bht for a Mastercard, just made it to the bank before it closed, so many bits of paper to sign my hand is tired.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

400bht for a Mastercard, just made it to the bank before it closed, so many bits of paper to sign my hand is tired.

My BKB Visa debit card worked in an ATM yesterday.  I will try again today.  Apparently, they will not work at point-of-sale transactions.  

I had a major dispute with Mastercard eons ago and vowed never to use them again.  Oh well, it won't be the first vow I've ever broken.

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

A "password" (PIN) for a debit card is a number.  I'm pretty sure that all ATMs have numerical keypads.

Perhaps that was the meaning but he asked 

Can one update Bangkok Bank passwords using an Bangkok Bank ATM?

And I took that to be asking about online account passwords.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Can one update Bangkok Bank passwords using an Bangkok Bank ATM?

This is the in context part of his quote...

"My Bangkok Bank VISA debit card still has 2 years validity remaining.  I stopped by my home branch to update my password to the new 6 digit requirement".

I took that to mean changing from the 4-digit PIN to a 6-digit PIN.

21 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Guess they missed another deadline - was supposed to be end of year and then January 15.

My Kasikorn card fell over several weeks ago. 

New card issued.

At a discount price of 200 baht, plus 82 baht refund from the old 4 digit non chip card.

But when I try to use for online debit or purchases it asked me to set up a 2 question security feature. 

It failed on Q1.

So another trip to the bank..

16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps that was the meaning but he asked 

You pretty much can't set up anything at a BKB ATM unless you have a Thai ID card.

Edited by BritManToo

As of today, my BKB Visa debit card is still accepted in BKB ATMs for Cash Withdrawal and Transfers to another BKB account.  I was also able to successfully pay my post paid AIS mobile bill and used the card to pay for a piece of furniture at Index.

My B800K transfer from Charles Schwab in the US to my BKB savings account was posted to my BKB account less than 12 hours after being sent by CS. I expected longer.

On 1/22/2020 at 3:05 PM, lopburi3 said:

I've got a Bangkok Bank Visa debit chipped card....works fine...used it today/25 Jan in an ATM to get cash.  It's expiration run till 2022

The 15 Jan 2020 deadline was for "non-chipped/magnetic stripe only" cards. 

From Bangkok Bank website

image.png.bdbcb729b478998e1d1daa2ff72ceaf4.png

3 hours ago, dddave said:

My B800K transfer from Charles Schwab in the US to my BKB savings account was posted to my BKB account less than 12 hours after being sent by CS. I expected longer.

Expect you are talking an International Wire (a.k.a., SWIFT) from Schwab for $25 versus an ACH transfer using the Bangkok Bank New York branch routing number?

My Bangkok Bank VISA debit card still has 2 years validity remaining.  I stopped by my home branch to update my password to the new 6 digit requirement. "Mai Dai" she said.  "Can not change the password of the existing VISA card, must get new Mastercard".  

"Horse manure", I thought.  I figure she's just trying to push the new cards.   

Can one update Bangkok Bank passwords using an Bangkok Bank ATM?

Debit/credit cards come with either a 4 digit PIN or 6 digit PIN requirement.  You can not decide just to change it from a 4 digit to 6 digit. 

To change to a 6 digit PIN you would need to change cards...a card that requires a 6 digit PIN like the Bangkok Bank UnionPay or Mastercard debit cards.  But their old Visa card uses a 4 digit PIN; not 6 digit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

Expect you are talking an International Wire (a.k.a., SWIFT) from Schwab for $25 versus an ACH transfer using the Bangkok Bank New York branch routing number?

Yes.  Direct SWIFT transfer; Schwab to BKB, Bangkok

On 1/22/2020 at 3:56 PM, BritManToo said:

yo, I saw that picture on post #15 and (obviously) your post..

does that mean that there is a way to get a Mastercard card instead of Unionpay?

asking cause I had a Visa debit one before and they forced me to change to Unionpay (forgot the reason - probably linked to no chips) and would prefer the MC any day.

10 hours ago, kekalot said:

yo, I saw that picture on post #15 and (obviously) your post..

does that mean that there is a way to get a Mastercard card instead of Unionpay?

I wasn't offered any other choice.

They came out with a Mastercard and wanted 400bht.

I'd have preferred a free Unionpay, as the Mastercard doesn't seem to work for online purchases.

On 1/22/2020 at 3:05 PM, lopburi3 said:

I think it may depend on the ATM used? There are a lot of old ATMs in Thailand that read magnetic strips. I imagine the old ones have to be retro-fitted to read chips--or simply replaced.

You can get either the Mastercard or UnionPay card...your choice...just have to specifically ask for which card you want.  But if don't specify which card you want your branch typically defaults to issuing a UnionPay card.

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I wasn't offered any other choice.

They came out with a Mastercard and wanted 400bht.

I'd have preferred a free Unionpay, as the Mastercard doesn't seem to work for online purchases.

It's been a long time but I was under the impression that my old VISA debit one worked online but this UnionPay one didn't - if we were to even try to buy something online, what would you even list it as? (not VISA or MC)

I'll save the picture from this thread and try to go ask them about it and see what they say, I wouldn't mind paying 400 baht if it worked online but if it doesn't work online then I don't see the point

I'll report back here if its anything useful

23 minutes ago, kekalot said:

It's been a long time but I was under the impression that my old VISA debit one worked online but this UnionPay one didn't - if we were to even try to buy something online, what would you even list it as? (not VISA or MC)

I'll save the picture from this thread and try to go ask them about it and see what they say, I wouldn't mind paying 400 baht if it worked online but if it doesn't work online then I don't see the point

I'll report back here if its anything useful

I've been a Bangkok Bank customer for 15 years and one thing I've learned is that sometimes you have to insist (politely) for what you want.  Last time I renewed my Visa/Debit card, the clerk insisted I had to take Union Pay.  I knew otherwise and insisted on a Visa and requested the manager. As soon as I did that, she grudgingly took a new Visa Debit card out of the drawer and issued it to me.  I understood it wasn't really her fault.  I'm sure the bank managers pressured staff into pushing the Union Pay card aggressively and came down on them if they issued too many Visas.

Whenever they are in doubt, they will usually say "NO" rather than admitting they don't know and going to ask a higher up.

I guess no amount of insisting is going to help this time.  i'll just have to accept a Mastercard when My Visa expires.