Media frenzy as alleged Lopburi gold shop robber named - he’s a teacher and firearms expert

webfact

5 hours ago, anterian said:

He was identified by DNA from sweat left behind at the scene. Last I heard Thailand does not have a DNA crime scene lab.

They have an arrangement for analysis to be done in Singapore, which I think was also the case for the murders on Koh Tao. As someone pointed out sweat, or anything you touch,  can contain cells capable of profiling.

15 hours ago, pegman said:

The cops stated robbery was not the motive. Seems likely then that one of the victims was targeted. Possibly the clerk who was shot three times.

Another media report says he was not in need of money plus he stated that 'he wanted the thrill of killing someone'. And in a more recent media report (on TV today) he says the whole thing was asuicide attempt. (A suicide attempt where 3 adults and 1 toddler were shot and killed?)

Edited by scorecard

15 hours ago, webfact said:

has confessed to the crime, saying stress drove him to seek a way to be shot and killed by police.

But, on the day of the robbery, there were no police near the scene, he allegedly said.

a police station would have been the best place to get shot, if that's what he really wanted 

• Like 1

I understand his motive better now.  It was not only a robbery, but it was personal as he shot the clerk 3 times .  

As we all know , it's easy for Thais to use a gun and kill their wife, lover and friends for almost no reason , plenty of reported cases .

And he had gambling debts, so he decided to rob the shop and kill her at the same time, and job done.   

15 hours ago, poohy said:

"Police said he claimed to have thrown all the gold stolen into a river in Sing Buri."

Just packing my wellies and heading to a riverbank in Singburi ..will be gone for a while!

wellies?  Aussi speak?  translation please

15 minutes ago, Dario said:

He had to silence her, so he went to the gold shop to kill her and took some gold necklaces along the way, make the whole thing look like a robbery. To disguise the real motive, he told the police that this was a suicide mission resulting from stress.

It sounds believable to me , even if the guy is completely mad.  Just hope justice will be done here so he never leave the prison cell. 

Edited by balo

16 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Come on give us the details on how he was arrested. I want to believe its the right guy but seriously you aint got nothing but a confession. Some mental cases dob themselves in for all various types of crimes all the time.

Yes, it's suspicious, isn't it.

DNA of 'sweat' dropped at the counter. He was heavily clothed, how did sweat get from him to the counter top? Who managed to spot the sweat? How did they link that with him and not the man who was standing in the same place just seconds before? Did they check their DNA 'evidence' to that man's sweat?

All the gold stolen was 'thrown' away in the river. Gold is heavy - it would sink. Have they trawled the river bed and located any gold? Even one piece?

TV slueths can do better that I can. 

I now settle down with a fresh coffee to await further unbelievable 'evidence'.................. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Bundooman said:

Yes, it's suspicious, isn't it.

DNA of 'sweat' dropped at the counter. He was heavily clothed, how did sweat get from him to the counter top? Who managed to spot the sweat? How did they link that with him and not the man who was standing in the same place just seconds before? Did they check their DNA 'evidence' to that man's sweat?

All the gold stolen was 'thrown' away in the river. Gold is heavy - it would sink. Have they trawled the river bed and located any gold? Even one piece?

TV slueths can do better that I can. 

I now settle down with a fresh coffee to await further unbelievable 'evidence'.................. 

Nobody is saying the DNA directly led to the arrest, the blurb in the news is the gun led to the guy. As for the DNA, the guys ankles were exposed and when he climbs up on the counter, walks around on the counter, his ankles come into contact with the counter or things on the counter. There are freeze frame shots of his bear ankle touching the counter.

The gold was never thrown in the river, its since been discovered hidden at his house.

16 hours ago, sweatalot said:

really makes me worry. Reminds me on Koh Tao

Yes, it does, doesn't it? If he wanted to commit suicide and be shot by the police - all he had to do was stand in any street the following day/later the same day, wearing the same outfit, waving his stolen gold around and fire his weapon in the air. The police, at that stage, would have willingly granted his death wish.

But he didn't. Did he?

Why not? Why wait 5-6 days and get 'caught'?

Unless, maybe, he's not the right guy!

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Might be time to check the news Sherlock!

I was under the impression I had read the news.

But thanks for your 'worthwhile' contribution which appears to add or detract nothing.

Worthless really then and unnecessarily sarcastic, patronising and just the kind of remark I would expect from a bar-stool type of tosser - found in most areas around Thailand.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Nobody is saying the DNA directly led to the arrest, the blurb in the news is the gun led to the guy. As for the DNA, the guys ankles were exposed and when he climbs up on the counter, walks around on the counter, his ankles come into contact with the counter or things on the counter. There are freeze frame shots of his bear ankle touching the counter.

The gold was never thrown in the river, its since been discovered hidden at his house.

He's got bear ankles? Wow!

But thanks. I now understand.

16 hours ago, poohy said:

"Police said he claimed to have thrown all the gold stolen into a river in Sing Buri."

Just packing my wellies and heading to a riverbank in Singburi ..will be gone for a while!

"he claimed to have thrown all the gold stolen into a river in Sing Buri" 

In other words, the police recovered te gold at his house and thought of a very implausible story in order to keep it.