Electric vehicle registrations in Thailand rose 380% in 2019

webfact

Registration of electric vehicles rose by 380 per cent

By The Nation

800_947a90ef25e0643.jpg?v=1579588257

There has been a sharp increase in the number of electric vehicles registered in 2019, according to the Electric Vehicle Association of Thailand (EVAT).

According to the statistics of the Department of Land Transport, as of December 31, 2019 there were 2,854 electric vehicles (EV) registrations, including 1,572 new cars, up 380 per cent over 2018 when only 325 vehicles were registered.

Meanwhile, hybrid electric vehicles (HEV) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV) reached a total of 153,184 vehicles.

“The growth rate of PHEV and EV is up more than 51 per cent from a year earlier,” Yossapong Laoonual, EVAT president, said. “The increase in electric vehicle registration will have an effect shortly as the need for charging stations will increase as well. Therefore, this year may see full model commercial charging stations, with the private sector playing an increasingly important role.”

The EVAT has the policy to promote and support the exchange of academic knowledge about technology and innovation for all types of electric vehicles including regulatory, standards and operations consultation in the development of electric vehicle technology in Thailand. There are more than 200 members from the private sector, educational institutions, state enterprises and individuals.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/auto/30380873

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-22
  • Haha 1

The only EV I can see for sale are Tesla, Nissan Leaf, Jaguar-IPace, Hyundai Ioniq...and the cheapest seems to be the Leaf at just under 2million baht.

...so hard to see 1,572 EV cars sold...but even if they did sell that many, it's pitiful.

Drop the 300% tax and sell EV cars at close to US/UK prices and get realistic.

Fail.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DLock said:

The only EV I can see for sale are Tesla, Nissan Leaf, Jaguar-IPace, Hyundai Ioniq...and the cheapest seems to be the Leaf at just under 2million baht.

...so hard to see 1,572 EV cars sold...but even if they did sell that many, it's pitiful.

Drop the 300% tax and sell EV cars at close to US/UK prices and get realistic.

Fail.

Might want to look at the MG ZS EV. They were selling it for, I believe, 1.2 million baht, as it is manufactured in China, and avoids some sort of import duty. This price included a home charger installed at no cost. Went down to get one and they were only being offered with blue exterior & black interior. Sorry MG

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, LNKDES1 said:

Might want to look at the MG ZS EV. They were selling it for, I believe, 1.2 million baht, as it is manufactured in China, and avoids some sort of import duty. This price included a home charger installed at no cost. Went down to get one and they were only being offered with blue exterior & black interior. Sorry MG

Thanks, I just looked on One2Car, so missed this.

Thats getting better to a reasonable price.

45 minutes ago, LNKDES1 said:

So... you'd be willing to contribute to a cleaner environment as long as the colour is right...? ????

On 1/23/2020 at 3:28 PM, DLock said:

so hard to see 1,572 EV cars sold...but even if they did sell that many, it's pitiful.

It might be partially fleet purchases than 100% individuals.

I wouldn't be surprised if the government itself bought a fleet of EV's in order to boost the market as it did with rubber.

It is a bit like saying the economy of Burkina Faso has grown by 10% last year. Does not mean much, when you are talking about 325 vehicles the year before. But, when it comes to alternative energy, any step forward is a good step. My question would be, where do I charge the car? I do not recall ever seeing a single charging station. Guess you have to stay close to home. 

Is this terribly lam administration doing anything else, to promote solar, wind, hydro, or electric vehicles? Are they making any effort to convert the heinous power plants, running on diesel? Are they doing anything to enforce the bans on burning cane? Anything? Besides the air filter they installed at Victory Monument, that might serve 1500 sq. meters of space. 

• Like 1