BANGKOK
jonasan307

Opening Bank account on Tourist visa

Hi, i have a friend visiting from NZ wanting to open a bank account here in bangkok on a tourist visa. I have few questions regarding this..

what documents would she need and which bank here still allow tourists to open a bank account?

Would she be able to access online banking?

would the bank issue out a debit visa/master or just cash atm card?

Would really appreciate it if any you guys have relatively recent info or experience in this topic

Thank heaps!

3 minutes ago, tom in bangkok said:

Why does she need a bank account here? Is she hoping to get a long-term visa some time?

Anyway, my experiences at KTC, BKK Bank, and KBank in Bangkok are that non-thais can't open an account on a tourist visa. The response I always get back is "work permit only" (I'm in my 20's, unlikely to be on retiree visa). This has been the case for a few years.

I'm sure it's possible, but your friend would need to visit a specific branch who doesn't follow the rules.

Of course you are correct with "updated bank rules".

But, I always look forward to the bogus posts claiming they walked in on Visa exempt with just a passport and got an account.

Where

When

Who they contacted questions are never answered.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Some banks require residents certificate, others just rent agreement, she just needs to try many different branches, some will say no to tourist visa others may say yes. Try Bangkok Bank, Krungsi. Kasikorn seems to be strict on long term visa these days. I've opened 3 accounts on a tourist visa in Pattaya.

If all fail see an agent

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

It is highly unlikely she will be able to open a bank account at any Bank within Thailand.

1. Kasikorn Bank (K-Bank)

Requirements:

Individuals who have base in foreign countries:

Passport

Work permit or education-based visa 

2. UOB Bank

Requirements:

Individual Non-Resident Account:

A copy of passport

A copy of work permit 

50,000 Baht deposit

Phone number

3. CitiBank

Requirements:

Passport and Work Permit

Or a minimum 1-year apartment contract

4. SCB

Requirements:

work permit is required to open an account. 

5. Bangkok Bank

Requirements: 

Work permit 

Passport and one other official identification document: for example, a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank.

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country.

UPDATE: Bangkok Bank is now asking for a certified letter from your Embassy. This letter must state that you have presented your passport to the Embassy, and that it is indeed your passport. Depending on the Embassy cost will be between 1150-1750 Baht)

6. Bank of Ayudhya (Krungsri)

Requirements:

Work permit

Condominium Lease Agreement (at least 1 year)

Thai Driver’s License

House Registration Documents (proving you live in a particular house)

A Thai wife’s ID card and Marriage Certificate

7. CIMB

Requirements:

A guarantor is required for a person wanting to open an account with CIMB. 

Citizen ID card or passport (for foreigner)

Savings account book or Current account number

Applicant Qualification:

The applicant must be aged 15 or over.

The applicant must own an individual savings and/or current account or a joint account that authorizes either owner to withdraw cash or a merchant account with single account owner.

Other terms and conditions are as specified by the Bank.

8. KrungThai

Requirements:

For foreigners: Passport, alien certificate, work permit issued or endorsed by any credible organization. 

For international students: Passport and student certificate issued by school/college.

• Like 2

Things have certainly changed a few years ago I opened my bkk bank account with a passport and utility bill 

• Like 1

A couple of years ago I opened an account at Bangkok Bank, the branch on Sukhumvit (soi 6?) in BKK. I was on a 30 day landing stamp. I needed my passport and contact address in Thailand. I gave them my hotel address. They asked if that's where I always stay when in BKK. I said yes and that was it.

We have a SCB bank account in various currencies that we opened a few years ago and had no trouble with anything. Opened up a joint account with Bangkok Bank last year and had to go to Immigration to get a statement from them confirming our address, we own a villa in Phuket. This visit we will be opening another foreign currency account and will have to do the same thing. This is in Phuket.

The hatred of foreigners without work permits is often posted here. I got at Krungsri on tourist visa but I’m retired, was preparing for visa. Dress well, have large amount of money, embassy letter of address, apartment lease, landlords ID, dress well. Be prepared to try many branches. Apparently they are trained that anyone without work permit must be depositing untaxed money. Generally, they are fluent in English and Thai, but they only know one word: “no!”

• Like 1

if you need a bank account opened on a tourist visa, the 'easiest' way to do it is contact a law firm or a visa agent.  they have contacts at banks and can get them opened up.  but you'll have to pay for the privilege.  probably around 3,000thb.

otherwise, i'd try for bangkok bank.  if in bangkok, try their head office on silom road. 

in some cases (several banks), the bank officer will require that you buy an insurance product from them in order to open the account, usually in the 5,000thb range.  supposedly, if this insurance product is purchased, the 'strict' requirements for work permit or embassy letter/proof of residence, etc...  are waived.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom89 said:

A couple of years ago I opened an account at Bangkok Bank, the branch on Sukhumvit (soi 6?) in BKK. I was on a 30 day landing stamp. I needed my passport and contact address in Thailand. I gave them my hotel address. They asked if that's where I always stay when in BKK. I said yes and that was it.

Well, there is no bank on Soi 6.  You mean on Sukhumvit near Soi 10?

Your information is false now anyway, work permit and LT Visa required at that bank.

Edited by bkk6060

It's the large branch on Suk, not far from Soi 4. I was guessing at the nearest Soi number. Like I said it was a couple of years ago,