Extending visa exempt, will I need Tm30?

Hi, sorry if this has been asked already but I have been stressed out about my situation. I have a United States passport, arrived in Bangkok on a 30 day visa exempt. it is about expire in a little over a week so I am getting ready to go to the Bangkok CW office for an extension. I have been staying in multiple airbnbs and I'm pretty sure they have not been filling out any tm30. The one stay that asked for my passport, I asked if they did a tm30 and they did not. Will this be a problem for getting an extension? I don't mind paying a fine if it's required for the extension but I'm worried I will be flat out denied. Is there something I should do before heading to the office to make sure the extension takes place or am I being too paranoid? 

An application for a 30 day extension will be denied if a TM30 hasn't been filed.

Airbnb are a website agency, the owners, landlords quite often have no idea who stay at the residence.

Best bet is to book into a registered hotel for a few days.

Ask them for a print out of their successful online TM30 report and a covering letter.

There is every indication that arrivals to the Kingdom on a tourist VISA or exemption stamp do not need to worry about TM30 as this is the responsiblity of the landlord/hotel. You are good to go. If it comes up, you simply remind them of this. However, as has been suggested, to have peace of mind you can simply do the hotel stay bit and get a confirmed TM30 filing. 

Edited by Tounge Thaied
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

There is every indication that arrivals to the Kingdom on a tourist VISA or exemption stamp do not need to worry about TM30 as this is the responsiblity of the landlord/hotel. You are good to go. If it comes up, you simply remind them of this. 

The responses before you contradict what you say which worries me greatly. I'm on a tight budget and stupidly already booked a airbnb till the day my visa runs out without realizing this tm30 fiasco. would 1 overnight stay at a hotel suffice for a tm30? also, would I state that the hotel is my address, even though Id probaly be staying at the airbnb during the time I go to the CW office?

13 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

There is every indication that arrivals to the Kingdom on a tourist VISA or exemption stamp do not need to worry about TM30 as this is the responsiblity of the landlord/hotel.

Airbnb's are not hotels and don't have a landlord as such.

8 minutes ago, bagpacker42 said:

The responses before you contradict what you say which worries me greatly. I'm on a tight budget and stupidly already booked a airbnb till the day my visa runs out without realizing this tm30 fiasco. would 1 overnight stay at a hotel suffice for a tm30? also, would I state that the hotel is my address, even though Id probaly be staying at the airbnb during the time I go to the CW office?

Another option is to go to any police station and complete a TM28. Get a receipt. Take that with you. It will cost you nothing. TM28 is often cited as a solution to not being able to get a landlord/housemaster/hotel to complete the TM30.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, bagpacker42 said:

would 1 overnight stay at a hotel suffice for a tm30? also, would I state that the hotel is my address, even though Id probaly be staying at the airbnb during the time I go to the CW office?

No do not overstay for any reason. Just go get the TM28, and any of your addresses will be fine. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

No do not overstay for any reason. Just go get the TM28, and any of your addresses will be fine. 

sorry you may have misheard me. I'm not overstaying my visa, I meant stay at a hotel for one night for a tm30 receipt/screenshot. I'm just trying to find the easiest way to get my extension, whether it be a fine or staying at a hotel for a night. I don't want to get any of my airbnb hosts in trouble either as they all have been very kind and treated me well. I'm leaning towards staying at a hotel for a night or two and asking for a tm30 receipt. I have not heard of a tm28 and it looks like it's a change of address? this will suffice over tm 30? I have not heard of tm28 and it seems complicated. 

6 minutes ago, bagpacker42 said:

sorry you may have misheard me. I'm not overstaying my visa, I meant stay at a hotel for one night for a tm30 receipt/screenshot. I'm just trying to find the easiest way to get my extension, whether it be a fine or staying at a hotel for a night. I don't want to get any of my airbnb hosts in trouble either as they all have been very kind and treated me well. I'm leaning towards staying at a hotel for a night or two and asking for a tm30 receipt. I have not heard of a tm28 and it looks like it's a change of address? this will suffice over tm 30? I have not heard of tm28 and it seems complicated. 

You will be fine either way... here is some reading on the subject if you really want to know. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1103504-tm28tm30-clarification/#comments

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

You will be fine either way... here is some reading on the subject if you really want to know. 

Stated with authority!

If op needs anything for extension to visa exempt entry it would be tm30.

IMO think they would ignore that @ CW. 

Possibly not for extension to setv.

Edited by DrJack54

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Stated with authority!

If op needs anything for extension to visa exempt entry it would be tm30.

IMO think they would ignore that @ CW. 

Possibly not for extension to setv.

Would you suggest I try going in for an extension, and see if they ask for a tm30? if they do want the tm30, can I just try to check in at a hotel for 2 nights and try again or do I only get one shot at this? 

13 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

TM28 is to notify a change of address.

The OP is staying in Airbnb and has no registered address with Immigration to get an extension.

He needs a TM30 filing which a registered hotel should do.

7 minutes ago, bagpacker42 said:

Would you suggest I try going in for an extension, and see if they ask for a tm30? if they do want the tm30, can I just try to check in at a hotel for 2 nights and try again or do I only get one shot at this? 

Exactly. They won't accept 1900 baht fee if you don't have tm30. Just means if refuse you then try file tm30 on the spot or go stay cheap hotel and try again. 

There has not been a report on Thaivisa regarding fine ~800 baht for no tm30 for MANY months. 

Worst case they fine you and you provide address for random hotel.

4 minutes ago, bagpacker42 said:

Apart from wanting a copy of your Passport, entry stamp, TM6 and a 6x4cm Passport photo, they'll want the proof of address you've supplied on the TM7 application form as your residence.

Usually if staying in a hotel they are responsible for filing the TM30.

In the case of private residence, then the owner, house master, or possessor of the residence is responsible for filing a TM30. Copies of the Tabien Baan and ID card relating to the address are usually supplied.

This is the section of the Immigration you need to comply with:

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager
where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the
competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or
hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office
located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.
In case the house , dwelling place , or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of Para.1
is located within the Bangkok area , such notification must be reported to the competent official at the
Immigration Division.
Making notification , in reference to the Para 1 and 2 of this Section , must comply with
regulations prescribed by the Director General.

Your somewhere between in an Airbnb and cannot supply any valid proof of address from the owner of the apartment/house as it was booked through an agency.

If a TM30 hasn't been filed then the following penalty can be applied.

Section 77 : Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not
exceeding 2,000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2,000 Baht
to 10,000 Baht.

Note you are the occupier.

• Haha 1

A message to the original OP. DrJack54 has advised in PM that I have mis-informed you. So please disregard any advice I have given you on this subject. Good luck with your extension of stay. Please accept my apology if any advice I have given is found to be incorrect. 

51 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Apart from wanting a copy of your Passport, entry stamp, TM6 and a 6x4cm Passport photo, they'll want the proof of address you've supplied on the TM7 application form as your residence.

Usually if staying in a hotel they are responsible for filing the TM30.

In the case of private residence, then the owner, house master, or possessor of the residence is responsible for filing a TM30. Copies of the Tabien Baan and ID card relating to the address are usually supplied.

This is the section of the Immigration you need to comply with:

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager
where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the
competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or
hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office
located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.
In case the house , dwelling place , or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of Para.1
is located within the Bangkok area , such notification must be reported to the competent official at the
Immigration Division.
Making notification , in reference to the Para 1 and 2 of this Section , must comply with
regulations prescribed by the Director General.

Your somewhere between in an Airbnb and cannot supply any valid proof of address from the owner of the apartment/house as it was booked through an agency.

If a TM30 hasn't been filed then the following penalty can be applied.

Section 77 : Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not
exceeding 2,000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2,000 Baht
to 10,000 Baht.

Note you are the occupier.

Hell's bells, what's the point of posting imm rules and/or fines. When was last post of "I'm here on visa exempt, applied for 30 day extension and got fined"

BTW at CW it would have been 800baht.

One report in last few months would suffice. I have not read ONE!

7 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

...If a TM30 hasn't been filed then the following penalty can be applied.

Section 77...

Immigration officials are not allowed to issue the fine under Section 77, only under Section 84.

6 hours ago, Maestro said:

Immigration officials are not allowed to issue the fine under Section 77, only under Section 84.

Officials are given the authority to issue fines under section 77 by their commanders, under section 84.

The settlement Commission ,consisting of the Police Department’s Director General or
Representative, the Public Prosecution Department’s Director General or Representative, and the
Immigration Division’s Commander or Representative, as the, members shall have the authority to assign
duty of settlement to the Inquiry Official or the competent official by fixing a settlement rule or any
conditions as the Settlement Commission my deem proper.

Usually the fine is 800 baht.