H/O Alternator(s) & Batteries

HOAX

Hi guys,

Anyone here know of any shop in Thailand that makes custom high output alternators (+/-300 amps) and brackets?

Alternatively two smaller could perhaps be used but I'm not sure if it's enough space.

Anywhere in Thailand that sell high amp car batteries (3-6000 amps)?

---------

Car: (Original branded) 1984 Opel Kadett E 1.8i Sedan (c18nz).

The car is also branded under Chevrolet, Vauxhall, Holden, Pontiac, Passport (Canada) and Daewoo (Nexia, as a hatchback in Thailand).

The Kadett is in specific regions also called Astra, LeMans, Cielo, Optima, Belmont and Nexia as mentioned.

Other cars using same, similar or modified engines is Astra, Vectra/Cavalier, Omega, Manta, Rekord, Ascona, Commodore, Senator, Calibra, Corsa, Isuzu TFR, Isuzu MU, Daewoo Espero, Nissan Pulsar, Holden Camira, Pontiac Sunbird, Pontiac LeMans, Pontiac Grand Am, Buick Skyhawk and Oldsmobile Firenza.

*The alternator(s) and batteries will be used to power amplifiers.

I don't know much about batteries to be honest. I've been looking at XS Power D7500 as it is a popular choice, and while the Kadett (sedan) has a spacious trunk (720litre) its still pretty limited so I was thinking and hoping 2-4 batteries in the trunk would be enough. I'm trying my best to use the trunk for the subs (facing forward and flipping down the back seats when in use), amps and batteries, and then there's a whole lot of wires. It should work, but if not I'll remove the back seats and use the entire half of the car if needed.

Anyway, what's your experience and what do you recommend?

Not entirely sure what build I'm going for but its somewhere in the ballpark of two 15s or two 18's at 3-5000w rms each and 6 8" mids and 4-6 highs. Its not a build for competition, but rather for personal pleasure and casual parties etc. Any advice and tips is highly appreciated ????

1 hour ago, transam said:

That is a lot of amps for a car, why do you need that amount...?

Well its about 20,000 watts (peak), when including the mids and high.

That being said, it might not be what I end up with. It's been a dream I've had for years and now could be my chance.

I'll gladly admit there might be some irrational thinking in moments of excitement. Kinda like grocery shopping when starving, but it is my goal nonetheless. Only thing smacking me back down in my chair is the availability in Thailand. The price for all the stuff needed is another thing slowing things down but I can deal with that as long as it is available.

9 hours ago, transam said:

On my fun ride I sourced a higher amp alternator from a donner car and altered the brackets etc, think it came off a Toyota Supra....

Photo-227.jpg.94485e3ca9f49ff241779c98b8e01d6b.jpg

Awesome. I have considered swapping the engine to a 1 or 2JZ GTE or other popular turbo engines as it makes everything so much easier, but I kinda wanted to keep it as stock as possible for the shock value.

Can you tell me more about the bracket, is it hard to find shops in Thailand that custom make brackets?

How many amps is your alternator?

Mint looking engine btw. What car is it?

9 hours ago, jabis said:

Seek for a donor Lexus LS400 - afair gives 200amps out of the alternator, and quite a few lexus' available on the market ^^

That won't do me any favors, as I'm not a fan of V8 engines. I'm European, and it's going to be a European "retro" build. But thank you for your suggestion as it would've opened up many opportunities as it does with many cars on the American market.

9 hours ago, HOAX said:

Awesome. I have considered swapping the engine to a 1 or 2JZ GTE or other popular turbo engines as it makes everything so much easier, but I kinda wanted to keep it as stock as possible for the shock value.

Can you tell me more about the bracket, is it hard to find shops in Thailand that custom make brackets?

How many amps is your alternator?

Mint looking engine btw. What car is it?

My fun ride is now history, sadly, we were together for 23 years...????

I made all the brackets myself, the alternator and power steering pump were relocated topside for easy access.

Can't remember how many amps it was, but it was more than the stock USA Delco one.

The car is a 1976 6.8ltr Transam that I transformed into a very quick dinosaur....????

12622242_945449105540536_5527180033400604688_o.jpg.ea054a0f92cc4b7ebf181187b05ca13d.jpg

• Like 2

we run a computer scanning system for pipelines out of pickup trucks, and need much higher output alternators.

Two options.

At the dealer ask if they have a ambulance option of alternator, in North America it will get you about double the output, ambulances run a LOT of 12v. never tried it here.

In thailand we went with a double alternator setup, one on each side. There is a aftermarket bracket available and any shop can install.

We also put four large batteries in the bed of the truck as reserve.

With this type of setup I could go and scan 100+ 42" diameter welds and run the computer/monitor and printer, laser printers draw a lot of power btw.