Indian tourists rescued miles offshore from Phi Phi on capsized kayak

snoop1130

Indian tourists rescued miles offshore from Phi Phi on capsized kayak

By The Phuket News

1579694317_1-org.jpg

The Indian tourist couple were found safe, clinging to their upturned kayak some 7.8 kilometres from Phi Phi Island. Photo: Phi Phi Island Police

PHUKET:-- An Indian tourist couple from Mumbai are safe after spending hours in the water off Phi Phi Island clinging on to an overturned kayak after they blown offshore by strong winds late yesterday afternoon (Jan 21)

Snr Sgt Maj Sanya Chansuan of Phi Phi Island Police identified the rescued couple as Shanmitha Suhas Basakhetre, 28, and Dinesh Pawan Kunar Jain, 30.

The couple went kayaking at around 4pm yesterday (Jan 21), Snr Sgt Maj Sanya told The Phuket News.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/indian-tourists-rescued-miles-offshore-from-phi-phi-on-capsized-kayak-74491.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-01-22

“Mr Jain knows how to paddle properly, but Ms Basakhetre does not. That made it difficult for them, especially against the strong wind,” Snr Sgt Maj Sanya said.

Tandem kayak is known as "divorce boat" for a reason.

Strong offshore winds pushed them about 8kms from their starting point in a matter of hours. Luckily they were able to contact help and were still inside the bay in a north west direction..

The couple who disappeared in similar circumstances from Phuket last month were blown out to the open sea and a proper search didn't start until the next day. One can only guess how far out they would have been when the search started around that little Island. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

Totally irresponsable operators in Thailand once again, putting tourists lives in danger with no regard to conduct constant and  serious pre-checks for any weather warnings or alerts...and for not monitoring their customers at large. Not to mention that no life guard was apparently on site.

Definately a need to boyott all the jet ski, kayak and other water entertainement operators in Thailand unfortunately, as basic safety standards are ...unknown !!

How is this on the operator?  I've been out a hundred times in conditions that would have blown me offshore had I lost a paddle, or been out with someone in the front who didn't know how to paddle or in the back who didn't know how to steer.  This couple overstepped their abilities.  It happens, especially when you're on holiday and doing something you think you remember how to do, but...

Lifeguards?  When I rent an SUP or a kayak at the beach or the river, they're going to lose site of me after 5 or 10 minutes.  The best scenery isn't where all the people are.

It may be as simple as she took the back seat, which is the steering seat.  It's very hard to steer a kayak or canoe from the front seat.  Even harder if you're working against a novice in the steering seat.  Hell, I've had problems paddling in Lumpini Park when I let my lady friends sit in back...  But they didn't want me staring at their butts.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

How is this on the operator?  I've been out a hundred times in conditions that would have blown me offshore had I lost a paddle, or been out with someone in the front who didn't know how to paddle or in the back who didn't know how to steer.  This couple overstepped their abilities.  It happens, especially when you're on holiday and doing something you think you remember how to do, but...

Lifeguards?  When I rent an SUP or a kayak at the beach or the river, they're going to lose site of me after 5 or 10 minutes.  The best scenery isn't where all the people are.

It may be as simple as she took the back seat, which is the steering seat.  It's very hard to steer a kayak or canoe from the front seat.  Even harder if you're working against a novice in the steering seat.  Hell, I've had problems paddling in Lumpini Park when I let my lady friends sit in back...  But they didn't want me staring at their butts.

How ?

If there is wind or risky conditions, no renting. If there is no renting, no boat paddling. If no boat paddling, no risk of accidents. Is it not clear ? If not sorry, cannot be more specific. Thank you for your response, have a nice day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Totally irresponsable operators in Thailand once again, putting tourists lives in danger with no regard to conduct constant and  serious pre-checks for any weather warnings or alerts...and for not monitoring their customers at large. Not to mention that no life guard was apparently on site.

Definately a need to boyott all the jet ski, kayak and other water entertainement operators in Thailand unfortunately, as basic safety standards are ...unknown !!

There is no remedy for stupidity.  They were not accomplished Kayakers and should have been more careful.  Anyone who has gone out in a Kayak or canoe knows how difficult it is to paddle against the wind

• Like 2

I used TAT 1155 once in Pattaya and police answered and arrived on scene at my hotel pretty quickly.  Thai emergency number is similar to the USA 911, although I have never used it.

EMERGENCY NUMBERS

Thailand has adopted 911 as their Emergency Number for all emergencies, 24 hours a day.

The former 191 emergency hotline will automatically be redirected to the new 911 number.

Many mobile phones are pre-programmed with 112 which will redirect to 911 even if your provider has no signal.

If you're in an accident, and need a translator, the Thai Tourist Police can help

TOURIST POLICE: 1155

AMBULANCE (All Emergencies): 1669

AMBULANCE (Bangkok only): 1646

FIRE: 199

Highway Patrol: 1193

Edited by gk10002000
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2020 at 12:58 AM, observer90210 said:

Totally irresponsable operators in Thailand once again, putting tourists lives in danger with no regard to conduct constant and  serious pre-checks for any weather warnings or alerts...and for not monitoring their customers at large. //

Total exaggeration, and you just have no idea about what the operator may have said (or not said) to them.

What these 2persons said is that they wanted to go to Monkey Beach from the kayak location shop on Loh Dalum Beach. This is a less than 2 km trip who can be made very safely - even with wind - by just following Loh Dalum Beach and the coast between the 2 beaches.

They may have (I don't know) chose a shorter way cutting 300-400m from the beaches and then found way stronger waves and wind...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1