CCTV Cameras everywhere?

stupidfarang

Just a general question, I live in a small town (population around 40,000) near Surat Thani and over the last couple weeks have noticed hundreds of CCTV cameras appearing, mostly at round-abouts, entrances to soi's in fact every where. On one main stretch of road covering about 3 klm I have counted 22 CCTV cameras! They are goverment owned and they are all Bosh cctv so not cheap. Just wanted to know if this is happening all over Thailand?

9 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

yes, they are everywhere here as they are everywhere in countries like USA, China or UK where governments dont give a sh... about privacy rights and data protection...

and i my opinion it is BS to think that it will deterr anybody, specially here in Thailand, just watch the news how people could not care less to be on camera... and the argument "if you have nothing to hide.." is also invalid in my opinion, I have the right for privacy and never agreed to be watched 24-7

Yes true, I do not think it will deter people, look at the case of the man who robbed the gold shop and killed innocent people, anyone would know there are cameras there. Interesting programmes on youtube about China's camera sysytem and how they are linked into everything about you 

4 hours ago, Black Ops said:

Probably someone's family member and a nice fat envelope from the supplier another from the installer and like that controversy in Bangkok, I doubt they all work ! TiT

They may work but will they be maintained/serviced? and is anyoe watching the screens?

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Well it would appear that cctv played a big part in tracking down the Lopburi gold killer, so i am all for it .

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/gold-shop-murder-suspects-arrest-a-result-of-joint-effort/

Yes I think they have a place and use and they are part of life, I have a number of cameras around my house. But what I am surprised by is the very large number of these new Bosh CCTV installations. Just on the two sois I use to get to the local park (4minute drive away) there are 7 cameras. As mention on a 3 klm road I counted 22 cameras. 

with the quality of cameras installed by the government, you shouldnt be to scared. But those frome 7eleven and shops i think is of better and why not.. Thai police have solved many cases by just following the perpetrator through cctv

4 hours ago, neeray said:

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Bosh decal if I were you. Chances are they are made in China for Bosh, thus, carry a little more value because of the name but maybe not excessively.

Also, if you are using the correct spelling as seen on the cameras, it may be a case of trickery.

The real Bosch is spelled like this.

I just cannot spell lol

42 minutes ago, sead said:

with the quality of cameras installed by the government, you shouldnt be to scared. But those frome 7eleven and shops i think is of better and why not.. Thai police have solved many cases by just following the perpetrator through cctv

Am not scared or worried, just amazed at the number of cameras in our area/city

5 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

My main question are people seeing these cameras all over LOS? 

I'm seeing them pop up in obscure places around Bangkok. The latest one, at the entrance to our soi, is placed so as to completely block the view of the street sign.

There's an assumption they are working, and someone is actually scanning the recordings from them. IMO a low probability of both. Even if we say there's a 50% chance

( p=0.5 ), that means the system is effective only for a quarter of the installations. ( p=0.25 ).

15 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I’m all for it. Hopefully, it will deter terrorism down south. It can also be very useful in prosecuting traffic violations, if the government ever gets to that. 

'if the government ever gets to that.' Of course they will, well the police will when their tea money coffers get low. 

15 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I’m all for it. Hopefully, it will deter terrorism down south. It can also be very useful in prosecuting traffic violations, if the government ever gets to that. 

Sorry to see that you support the government, “Big Brother” model of China. Yes, I agree there are benefits of catching the “bad guys” but for my money, I am not willing to foreswear privacy rights in the name of security. I am aware that the US with its blanket “Patriot Act” gives great leeway to the NSA for surveillance but will only support electronic surveillance under an independent court warrant for a justified suspicion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rwill said:

That is also why they push 5G, together with AI, we will have situations worse than China. No more privacy at all.
Not even a concrete wall will help you hiding anymore soon enough. They can already do that with casual WiFi now.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

16 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Just wanted to know if this is happening all over Thailand?

Big Brother is watching you...:angry:

big-brother-is-watching-you-L-1.jpeg

Actually, the CCTV camera are there to check what happens on roads and in traffic. Often what you see when a traffic accident is mentioned, and a video embedded, comes from one or more of thees. Great way to find out what actually happened, also in case of some criminal action.

Some cameras might also be online, so ongoing traffic situation can be checked.

No one cares what you do, or follow you on line, as long as you behave in traffic, and you don't get involved in a criminal act – apart from Big Brother's department – and if you do, you might be happy if some of the CCTV cameras are working...????