Trump laments missing Davos star Greta's speech

webfact

Trump laments missing Davos star Greta's speech

By Alexandra Alper and Luke Baker

2020-01-22T185456Z_1_LYNXMPEG0L24G_RTROPTP_3_DAVOS-MEETING.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump gestures as he holds a news conference at the 50th World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos, Switzerland, January 22, 2020. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

DAVOS, Switzerland (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump called climate activists like Greta Thunberg "prophets of doom" at the World Economic Forum on Tuesday. By Wednesday he was lamenting not having watched the teenage activist's speech.

The gentler tone, along with a promise to join a plan to plant one trillion trees, hinted at a different approach from the U.S. president, who in the past has dismissed climate change as "fake news" and told Thunberg she needs "anger management".

Either way, the first two days of the annual Davos gathering were dominated by the back-and-forth between the 73-year-old former businessman and the 17-year-old campaigner, with corporate leaders caught in the middle, concerned that as well as words, there was a need for concrete decisions.

Thunberg doubled down at Davos.

"Our house is still on fire," the Swede said, decrying the "empty words and promises" of leaders and their message that children -- millions of whom have joined Thunberg's Friday protests around the world -- should not worry.

"Your inaction is fuelling the flames," she said.

ENTER THE GREEN PRINCE

On Wednesday, she met Britain's Prince Charles, 71, a life-long environmentalist who tries to keep out of politics.

"Everything I have tried to do, and urge, over the past fifty years has been done with our children and grandchildren in mind," Charles said shortly before sitting down with Thunberg.

He said he did not want to be accused by his descendants of doing nothing "except prevaricate and deny the problem".

"Now, of course, they are accusing us of exactly that."

Trump and the British heir to the throne did not cross paths, but as he left the mountain resort, Trump told reporters he would have liked to have heard Thunberg speak.

Business leaders suggested Trump had been listening. Asked if he had convinced Trump to join the trillion trees initiative, Salesforce chief executive Marc Benioff paused and smiled before telling Reuters "many people" were involved.

Britain's Prince Charles met Swedish climate change activist Greta Thunberg on Wednesday, moments after he called on business leaders in Davos to create a sustainable economic future.

And Joe Kaeser, the chief executive of German giant Siemens, told Reuters he had advised Trump to listen to young activists. "We have to sit together and involve them in dialogue," he said he had told the U.S. president.

Asked by reporters if he still thought climate change was a hoax, Trump responded: "No, not at all."

But he said Thunberg should shift her attention away from the United States to focus on other, more polluted countries.

"You have another continent where the fumes are rising at levels that you can't believe ... I think Greta ought to focus on those places," he said.

Other leaders sought to draw a middle ground between Trump and Thunberg. French finance minister Bruno Le Maire said the Europeans were leading with a different approach.

“There exists a third way between Donald Trump and Greta Thunberg," he told reporters.

"There’s no need to fall into extremes, between those who say either that there is no problem with global warming or those who lament that nothing has been done to combat it, because it’s not true – there are things that have been done."

Mark Carney, the outgoing head of the Bank of England who will shortly become a United Nations' envoy for climate policy, praised Thunberg for raising awareness of climate change.

"There are those who will be out front in the transition and those who lag. And that’s different than a binary green-good, everything else brown-bad," he said. "There should be fifty shades of green, if not more."

(Additional reporting by Balazs Koranyi in Davos; Editing by Leela de Kretser, Alex Richardson and Alexander Smith)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-01-23
  • Haha 2

The truth, and solution, to climate change lies somewhere between the two of them ... sensible policies that tackle the issue whilst propelling societies forward. The cure being proposed by climate activist like Thunberg would impose an austerity on the world that many, especially poorer countries, couldn’t cope with.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, evadgib said:

It's entirely your prerogative to fall for such nonsense but it isn't compulsory for others to join in.

Same same I suppose, you know, like why should South-East Asia burn, burn, burn, I suppose it's their prerogative too, we just live on this planet and should suck it in like you do........NEXT

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Tulak said:

so let's all follow Greta !

Baaa Baaa

So the other alternative is to follow Trump and the other "leaders" (sheep) of the world who follow him, I feel SAD for you because you couldn't see greatness if it was right in front of you, have another Chang and go about your merry way and leave us to clean up the mess others have created, because we know how to be proactive as opposed to negative, but then again, as the old saying goes, a dog doesn't change it's spots, woof woof

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Same same I suppose, you know, like why should South-East Asia burn, burn, burn, I suppose it's their prerogative too, we just live on this planet and should suck it in like you do........NEXT

When will St Greta be dropping in? Can I suggest she starts with China?

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

She targets the most powerful leaders first, and if she can get through to them, the rest of the sheep will follow, that's why.

Her "getting through" to presidents of Russia, China, Brazil, Indonesia, USA? Seriously?

I'm sure the president of the Maldives will be happy for a photo op with her though.

• Like 1

Trump is a climate denier. Why wouldn't he be, when he and his cronies will be insulated from the effects?

I don't know which is sadder, the electorates being gulled by populists who don't have a clue themselves, or angry old men attacking a teenage girl for being angry about the mess we are leaving her generation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

There should be a sensible policy to protect the environment and reduce emissions. But the biggest Elephant in the room is over population of the planet. No one seems capable of taking this on in fear of the PC brigade. 

Agree 100%. What amazes me is that there are any that think the world is not overpopulated.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Her "getting through" to presidents of Russia, China, Brazil, Indonesia, USA? Seriously?

I'm sure the president of the Maldives will be happy for a photo op with her though.

Has it ever occured to you that major changes only usually happens when people unite, i.e. Greta is not alone, and the changes will come, you can sit and laugh all you want.

I and others prefer to be proactive when we see what is happening around us, as opposed to sitting on our rears, suffice to say, everybody's makeup is different, you do, what makes you feel good, I hope you have kids and grandkids and you can see their future, if no change comes about.

• Sad 1