Trump laments missing Davos star Greta's speech

webfact

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree 100%. What amazes me is that there are any that think the world is not overpopulated.

@Snow Leopard

So which bridge will it be boys, I mean were talking reducing the population right, that is the problem you both agree on, ok then, jump, that should reduce the population by 2, got to start somewhere, yeh right, I thought so.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

I hope you have kids and grandkids and you can see their future, if no change comes about.

Nope, I knew over 50 years ago the world was overpopulated and decided to have none.

Not having children is the best thing anyone can do to solve the pollution problem.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

@Snow Leopard

So which bridge will it be boys, I mean were talking reducing the population right, that is the problem you both agree on, ok then, jump, that should reduce the population by 2, got to start somewhere, yeh right, I thought so.

I would think there is a more logical way to do it than having people jumping off bridges. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

St. Greta needs to go back to school and get an education... 

As in an education that leads to an occupation of conformity to the Corporate ideals which brush aside environmental impact in the greater interest of profiteering ?

Education or not she has managed to achieve a role that has enabled her to confront  World  Leaders in International forums. Agree or not with her stance or how she  got to be there few could claim her impact even if boasting  multiple  PhD'S !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dumbastheycome said:

As in an education that leads to an occupation of conformity to the Corporate ideals which brush aside environmental impact in the greater interest of profiteering ?

Education or not she has managed to achieve a role that has enabled her to confront  World  Leaders in International forums. Agree or not with her stance or how she  got to be there few could claim her impact even if boasting  multiple  PhD'S !

Had she actually come up with some solutions I'd be cheering her. Unfortunately all she does is complain.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

as he left the mountain resort, Trump told reporters he would have liked to have heard Thunberg speak.

So why didn’t you?

Oh, and you can still think about what she said and act upon it. 

Edited by Bluespunk

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I misjudged you, your selfless and I am selfish for having 5 kids that have fulfilled my life with happiness and love, I suppose I am therefore selfish like the rest of the world for overpopulating it, i.e. I didn't know there was any restrictions, that said, I hope all of my kids have 5 kids each in the new world that Greta will bring them, don't know where they will all fit though.

You cant change what is already done and i wish you and your children all the best. My point was this, there needs to be some serious open debate about the subject. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Had she actually come up with some solutions I'd be cheering her. Unfortunately all she does is complain.

I doubt  she has ever intended to "provide solutions".

She has consistently called on the responsibilities of  Governments to enact policies of due diligence in protecting those who elect them.

• Like 2

Just now, Dumbastheycome said:

I doubt  she has ever intended to "provide solutions".

She has consistently called on the responsibilities of  Governments to enact policies of due diligence in protecting those who elect them.

My philosophy is if one is going to complain, have some solutions to the problem.

Given her prominence on the world stage it's a lost opportunity to propose solutions, which are somewhat lacking at present on the pro man made crisis side.

My solution for Greta is that she remembers she is a young person and has some fun while she can.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

The pro man made crisis side has plenty of solutions. You just don't want to listen to them.

Oh puleeze. Banning plastic bags in supermarkets where everything is wrapped in plastic, giving up meat, electric cars using scarce raw materials, windmills and lots of taxes. LOL. They won't even stop Brazil burning down the rainforest.

Nothing about population reduction, increased public transport and no holiday air travel.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You ask the question and then provide the answer. She is young as you said to provide solutions that you asked. Her message and her role being a high profile activist is to push world leaders to do more against climate change. Your thought process this early morning seem muddled. 

except the significant world leaders like Russia, China and the US are not going to take any notice of a petulant youth that only complains.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I am sure Trump would have learned alot, had he listened to her speech. Especially, with that incredibly open and genius mind of his.

Many major corporations around the world are starting to take responsibility for the extensive damage they have wreaked on the world's environment. Many major nations too. As usual under Trump's lack of leadership, the US is behind the curve, and he is busy insuring that America is never going to be great again. At least, not under his watch, if at all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

except the significant world leaders like Russia, China and the US are not going to take any notice of a petulant youth that only complains.

Beg to differ. Russia must have took notice as they are inching close to ratifying the Paris Accord by end of the year, placing Moscow in yet another position to fill a void left by Trump withdrawal. Russia didn’t formally ratify the Accord. China meanwhile is committed. Trump should listen to the kid & not be an obstinate old grandpa. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh puleeze. Banning plastic bags in supermarkets where everything is wrapped in plastic, giving up meat, electric cars using scarce raw materials, windmills and lots of taxes. LOL. They won't even stop Brazil burning down the rainforest.

Nothing about population reduction, increased public transport and no holiday air travel.

Of those "solutions" you mention there are a couple that would and eventually will have a positive impact.

The primary cause of  concerns are about environmental impact. That some suggestions come from activists  with an agenda based on personal ideology such as Vegans and Vegetarians are not likely to be seriously considered. Fossil fuels undeniably  have an impact on air quality so why any genuine objections to alternatives? The technological endeavours of human "developments" are always  going to have some impact due simply to the desire for it excused by "improving" the quality of life while actually damaging it by measuring it in terms of gross materialistic output . (GDP).( Standard  Of Living)

Many  confuse the topic  of plastic  bags/films as some condemnation of all plastics.

Again it is the environmental impact of the presence of specific forms  of plastics carelessly and callously injected into the  environment that is the real issue rather than the existence of them.

There are no 100% green alternatives but there are measures that can be taken to lessen the impact of what has been allowed to happen.

The greatest resistance to serious  contemplation of genuine measures to bring about change comes from those with vested interests as extreme in denial as Greta's objections.

Reduction the  world's population is inevitable but even so those left  may not  appreciate  what is left!

Edited by Dumbastheycome
additionals
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Have no fear; it will likely be only hours until Trump is back to bullying and bad-mouthing a teen-age girl.

Makes you proud, eh?

that is exactly correct.   the only reason he changed his tune is because of how popular she is and the impact she is having.    never fear, it won't be long before he loses control of his mouth as usual,  and starts insulting and ridiculing her again. 

• Haha 1