Trump laments missing Davos star Greta's speech

webfact

38 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Au contraire, she's cleverer and more switched on than most of those old tools... makes trump look like an utter donkey. Education? What's a bit of paper going to do for her to what she is for the world now?

Laments missing her speech? lol. I think he'd rather sit through Ali Khamenei's tripe; at least he can't be embarrassed by what he's not hearing.

Keep at the old duffers, young lady. :smile:

Did you not watch the U Tube clip a few pages back when she couldn't answer a simple question from a reporter at a press conference? Didn't come across as very clever then.

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

As I expected, you left out the elephant in the room - energy generation. That would be rather inconvenient for your argument, would it not?

Fossil fuels generate heat. Absorbing radiation from the sun, and converting it to electricity, then storing it in batteries, does not.

Markets and financiers are already voting. Gautam Adani could not get a single bank in the whole world to loan the money for the Adani coal mine, so he is going it alone with finance from his house of cards. Feel like being one of his contractors or sub-contractors?

It's a race between d##khead politicians and scientists. Bad luck for all of us if the politicians win, but they'll be OK with their taxpayer-funded pensions. Think about that next time you vote for them.

Fair enough, I forgot to include support for nuclear energy, the only currently viable source of non CO2 emitting power that can do the job, AT THE PRESENT TIME.

France has proven that it is a perfectly safe way of generating electricity.

Once alternatives ( or nuclear fusion is perfected ) have become able to do the job, Nuclear fission can be abandoned.

It's a race between d##khead politicians and scientists. Bad luck for all of us if the politicians win, but they'll be OK with their taxpayer-funded pensions. Think about that next time you vote for them.

Somehow, I don't think politicians are going away anytime soon, but when AI is perfected, hopefully they will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Fossil fuels undeniably  have an impact on air quality so why any genuine objections to alternatives? The technological endeavours of human "developments" are always  going to have some impact due simply to the desire for it excused by "improving" the quality of life while actually damaging it by measuring it in terms of gross materialistic output . (GDP).( Standard  Of Living)

Many  confuse the topic  of plastic  bags/films as some condemnation of all plastics.

Again it is the environmental impact of the presence of specific forms  of plastics carelessly and callously injected into the  environment that is the real issue rather than the existence of them.

There are no 100% green alternatives but there are measures that can be taken to lessen the impact of what has been allowed to happen.

100% agree that pollution of whatever source should be stopped, NOW. 100% agree about reducing the use of plastic, FOR EVERYTHING.

No argument from me that pollution is a very bad thing and governments have not done their job in promoting recycling and alternatives to plastic. What they have done so far is just virtue signalling. Banning plastic bags ( which were useful after coming home from the supermarket ) without banning plastic wrapping is pointless. I throw away far more plastic wrapping than was in the bags, as it's not reusable.

I look forward to the day they accept that increasing air travel is not a good idea and ban cheap holiday air travel.

On 1/23/2020 at 3:51 AM, webfact said:

"You have another continent where the fumes are rising at levels that you can't believe ... I think Greta ought to focus on those places," he said.

Rarely do I agree with The Donald but in this instance I do.  China and India lead the pack with the USA #3.  Have a look at the current crisis in SE Asia. 

8 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Superstar?  Really?  Because of all her extensive studies on climate?  I guess this would also make Chicken Little a superstar.  Wow, Chicken Little was way before his time.  Who would have thunk it. ????

So everybody should have your mindset and just sit on their behinds while we all watch the planet go down, down, down, yep, makes sense to you.

If it takes a Chicken Little to be the front man to bring about change, then I am all for it, enjoy your journey, tick, tick, tick.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

the world is going up on all parameters

1] death rates from natural disasters down

2] death rates from air pollution down

3] child mortality down

4] crop yields up

5] life expectancy up

6] co2 & biomass up

7] literacy up

8] poverty down

9 etc etc

Yes, but ability to reason per capita?

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 3:51 AM, webfact said:

Either way, the first two days of the annual Davos gathering were dominated by the back-and-forth between the 73-year-old former businessman and the 17-year-old campaigner, with corporate leaders caught in the middle, concerned that as well as words, there was a need for concrete decisions.

What a way for the US president to spend his time. In a flame war with a 17 year old.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 5:10 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Did you not watch the U Tube clip a few pages back when she couldn't answer a simple question from a reporter at a press conference? Didn't come across as very clever then.

Actually in that clip there is nothing that says she does not have an opinion or know the answers, she is however, IMHO, concerned at the press ignoring the presence of the other panelists.