Let them speak: Most Americans want witnesses in Trump impeachment trial - Reuters/Ipsos poll

webfact

11 hours ago, Sujo said:

1. You said you could easily be convinced but you dont want the senate to call evidence. If i am mistaken i apologise.

You are mistaken. 

2. Impeachment is indeed the investigation, impeachment is their is evidence to charge. Congress found evidence to charge. Senate is the trial where all evidence, new and old is called.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, such as it is.

3. Really you need to ask that? All senators take an oath to be fair and impartial prior to to trial. So tell me how can they do that without witnesses. Name me a trial that had no witnesses or documents.

Name me a trial where the judge would allow almost half the people on the jury to have stated publicly the defendant was guilty? 

Many people seem to be claiming that no documents or testimony will be allowed, This is just a lie. All of the testimony and documents the House used to impeach the President will be permitted. 

To be clear, have you not been insisting that the witness testimony and documentary evidence presented by the House overwhelming proved he was guilty? 

29 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Come on.  The GOP congress had no qualms about impeaching Clinton for....lying about a BJ?  If they had anything on President Obama, they would have gone after him.  But they had nothing.  Obama was squeaky clean. 

I was loaded for most of the Clinton era, and Republicans generally admit it was a mistake. That said, there was bipartisan support to impeach him and he had committed eleven felonies prior to the impeachment hearing and was subsequently disbarred. 

Obama did a number of things that would be impeachable by the standards used to impeach Trump. But most GOO members did not believe anything he did  rose to the level of impeachment, and the ones that did remembered the Clinton impeachment debacle. 

Everyone knew that trying to impeach a popular President that was also a darling of the press would not end well for them.

Trump is the opposite.

5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I was loaded for most of the Clinton era, and Republicans generally admit it was a mistake. That said, there was bipartisan support to impeach him and he had committed eleven felonies prior to the impeachment hearing and was subsequently disbarred. 

Obama did a number of things that would be impeachable by the standards used to impeach Trump. But most GOO members did not believe anything he did  rose to the level of impeachment, and the ones that did remembered the Clinton impeachment debacle. 

Everyone knew that trying to impeach a popular President that was also a darling of the press would not end well for them.

Trump is the opposite.

Actually, I was with Pelosi on NOT impeaching Trump after Mueller.  But the Ukraine thing was just too much.  We all seem numb to it now, but when this first came out, I thought it was absolutely outrageous.  I recall certain Republican Senators saying that if it were true, it was definitely impeachable.  They're all pretty silent now.  

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

Actually, I was with Pelosi on NOT impeaching Trump after Mueller.  But the Ukraine thing was just too much.  We all seem numb to it now, but when this first came out, I thought it was absolutely outrageous.  I recall certain Republican Senators saying that if it were true, it was definitely impeachable.  They're all pretty silent now.  

They’re supposed to be silent. The are supposed to be considering the case the House is presenting. 

The case the House was to have completed. 

The case that the House really does not seem too concerned about as long as they can attack the GOP on TV. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, mercman24 said:

well on the outside looking in, it seems that other lot done <deleted> all in the 8 years they were in office, in 3 years this guy has turned the American economy around .

Why post such nonsense when all the stats show Obama started the recovery after the crash and helped by reeling in the Wall St bankers and putting in place regulations to try to prevent it again, but trump revoked some of those.........and now despite promising he would reel in the deficit, under him it has blown out threefold!

Just like his own dealings, he is fond of debt, owing many millions of dollars to financial institutions, and as another poster has said, he has no idea of fiscal responsibility so be prepared for more debt, but unlike what he did to his contractors, he cannot declare bankruptcy.

In a nutshell, he is a dumb crook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, rudi49jr said:
On 1/23/2020 at 6:51 AM, TopDeadSenter said:

more respected internationally

That’s funny, because I thought America, and Trump in particular, had become the laughing stock and international pariah that no one trusts anymore.

Indeed, you've only got to see the huge amount of cartoons and video clips ridiculing trump to know that this is true and he is not well respected by anyone, apart from himself, and the clip of one of the world leaders holding a "make-believe gun" with his fingers at trump's back says it all.

The man is a laughingstock and will unfortunately make the world look at America in the same way (see the clip below)

Edited by xylophone

5 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

Winners!

No problem being winners but seriously let loose that Trump who bring a bad name to the Republican Party’s basic principles of fiscal sanity, free trade, strong on Russia and character and personal responsibilities. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

No problem being winners but seriously let loose that Trump who bring a bad name to the Republican Party’s basic principles of fiscal sanity, free trade, strong on Russia and character and personal responsibilities. 

A bad name to who? The Democratic party? Republicans love him. His base is stronger than ever. It is going to be so good when the Republican regain control of the house. The Dems have nothing to run on. They haven't accomplished anything other than spend millions in taxpayer money on witch hunts.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

A bad name to who? The Democratic party? Republicans love him. His base is stronger than ever. It is going to be so good when the Republican regain control of the house. The Dems have nothing to run on. They haven't accomplished anything other than spend millions in taxpayer money on witch hunts.

You do know they actually made money on the witch hunt.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I admire your steadfast loyalty but you not seeing the forest for the trees. His base is eroding especially the farmers and even Evangelical. The younger base loathe him and he is not winning in popularity with non white. He created the House lose and the senate house will follow. Just look at his overall approval ratings that have never climbed above 50%. Things are going south and his shenanigans will damage his party for years to come. 

President Trump’s approval rating has neared 50 percent heading into the 2020 election year, according to a Hill-HarrisX poll released on Monday.

Forty-nine percent of Americans surveyed said they approve of the president’s job performance, up from 46 percent from the previous Dec. 8-9 poll. Fifty-one percent said they disapprove, a drop from 54 percent earlier this month.

Trump’s approval rating continues to be buoyed by his Republican base, where his support remains strong.

The latest survey shows that almost 9 in 10 GOP respondents — 87 percent — support Trump, compared to 22 percent of Democrats and 42 percent of independents.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Sujo said:

You do know they actually made money on the witch hunt.

Yes, they have turned their persecution nonsense into a fundraising gold mine.  Here is just one case:

https://theweek.com/speedreads/890072/trump-campaign-using-video-martha-mcsally-calling-reporter-liberal-hack-raise-money

Coming soon: GOP candidates will call this "the most important election of our lifetimes!"  They do that at every election.

18 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I admire your steadfast loyalty but you not seeing the forest for the trees. His base is eroding especially the farmers and even Evangelical. The younger base loathe him and he is not winning in popularity with non white. He created the House lose and the senate house will follow. Just look at his overall approval ratings that have never climbed above 50%. Things are going south and his shenanigans will damage his party for years to come. 

From the Washington Post.

Americans still divided on Trump’s removal from office, but a strong economy is boosting his approval rating, Post-ABC poll finds.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

From the Washington Post.

Americans still divided on Trump’s removal from office, but a strong economy is boosting his approval rating, Post-ABC poll finds.

This time you 'forgot' to quote the ratings! ????

"The Post-ABC poll finds 44 percent of Americans approve of Trump's overall job performance and 51 percent disapprove"

And from the same poll:

"66% call for witnesses in Trump's impeachment trial: Poll"

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/66-call-witnesses-trumps-impeachment-trial-poll/story?id=68509143

Edited by candide
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's difficult to take any national polls seriously since 2015.

Regarding any American's view of impeachment and witnesses, it's even more difficult to take seriously in light of the most current Nielsen Ratings that reveal that not many are watching.

Tuesday - 11 million (approx 3% of US population)
Wednesday - 8.9 million
Thursday - 7.8 million (approx 2.3% of US population)

Not many watching, and it appears that fewer and fewer are interested.  Consider the fact that Nielsen Ratings showed a peak of 29 million viewers for the LSU vs Clemson national championship.