BANGKOK
Sharks3012

Retirement v Marriage "visa"

Hi guys, newbie here looking for advice. Like most, I am really confused regarding the requirements surrounding visa/extensions of stay. Planning on moving back to Bangkok next year with my Thai wife, (married in Thailand with all certificates etc). I will be retiring when we move back, but not sure whether to go down the "Marriage Visa" route, or the ""Retirement Visa" route, (I understand these are colloquial terms).

Wonder if others have faced the same situation, what decision they took and the reasons behind their decision. 

Thanks in advance for any advice provided.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The approval is done by the division headquarters for where you living not Bangkok.

Immigration always tell us Bangkok, that's the only reason I said Bangkok, interesting to know though, thanks.

I did the retirement extension for many years ,but once they changed the rules converted to a marriage visa , a bit more paperwork ,but its not that hard ,you have a year to get it sorted ,lol and its not that hard .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Immigration always tell us Bangkok, that's the only reason I said Bangkok, interesting to know though, thanks.

I think they say that due to it being easier to explain than that it is done at the division headquarters.

When I did my first extension here they told us it was sent to Korat for approval but now division 4 is now located in Khon Kaen.

• Thanks 2

Another consideration may be if you are on a marriage extension and something happens to your wife, or you get divorced, I believe you can no longer stay on that extension, and may have to leave and start again on a retirement basis, which means you need double the money in the bank, os more per month on income. I am sure someone will correct me if this is incorrect.

I am married but prefer the retirement option for an easier ride at the annual renewals.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Saltire said:

Another consideration may be if you are on a marriage extension and something happens to your wife

Yeah, I can just imagine the wife going first when we're both in our eighties and ridden with health issues. What do I do for my next extension -- any widower option?

13 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Yeah, I can just imagine the wife going first when we're both in our eighties and ridden with health issues. What do I do for my next extension -- any widower option?

In case of death the extension will remain valid until it expires. Unless it occurred shortly before your extension ends you would have time to apply for one based upon retirement.

Some like me might have a Thai child and could apply for being their parent. There is even an option for them to support you that could  be used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

then they have no legs to stand on whereas being married might be looked upon as a supporter of a wife/partner with offsprings, call me paranoid, but that is just me...

Not paranoid in the slightest...

Anyone can recognize the ongoing pattern:

with each passing year more and more pressure is being applied to clamp down on foreign retirees.

The updated (increased) financial requirement change in near term seems to be very likely at this point.

e.g. 800K --> 1M and 400K -->500K

14 hours ago, Saltire said:

Another consideration may be if you are on a marriage extension and something happens to your wife, or you get divorced, I believe you can no longer stay on that extension, and may have to leave and start again on a retirement basis, which means you need double the money in the bank, os more per month on income. I am sure someone will correct me if this is incorrect.

I am married but prefer the retirement option for an easier ride at the annual renewals.

And while still just conjecture, any health insurance requirements for long stay visa may or may not be a factor soon.