Retirement v Marriage "visa"

Hi guys, newbie here looking for advice. Like most, I am really confused regarding the requirements surrounding visa/extensions of stay. Planning on moving back to Bangkok next year with my Thai wife, (married in Thailand with all certificates etc). I will be retiring when we move back, but not sure whether to go down the "Marriage Visa" route, or the ""Retirement Visa" route, (I understand these are colloquial terms).

Wonder if others have faced the same situation, what decision they took and the reasons behind their decision. 

Thanks in advance for any advice provided.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The approval is done by the division headquarters for where you living not Bangkok.

Immigration always tell us Bangkok, that's the only reason I said Bangkok, interesting to know though, thanks.

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Immigration always tell us Bangkok, that's the only reason I said Bangkok, interesting to know though, thanks.

I think they say that due to it being easier to explain than that it is done at the division headquarters.

When I did my first extension here they told us it was sent to Korat for approval but now division 4 is now located in Khon Kaen.

• Thanks 2

Another consideration may be if you are on a marriage extension and something happens to your wife, or you get divorced, I believe you can no longer stay on that extension, and may have to leave and start again on a retirement basis, which means you need double the money in the bank, os more per month on income. I am sure someone will correct me if this is incorrect.

I am married but prefer the retirement option for an easier ride at the annual renewals.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Saltire said:

Another consideration may be if you are on a marriage extension and something happens to your wife

Yeah, I can just imagine the wife going first when we're both in our eighties and ridden with health issues. What do I do for my next extension -- any widower option?

13 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Yeah, I can just imagine the wife going first when we're both in our eighties and ridden with health issues. What do I do for my next extension -- any widower option?

In case of death the extension will remain valid until it expires. Unless it occurred shortly before your extension ends you would have time to apply for one based upon retirement.

Some like me might have a Thai child and could apply for being their parent. There is even an option for them to support you that could  be used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

then they have no legs to stand on whereas being married might be looked upon as a supporter of a wife/partner with offsprings, call me paranoid, but that is just me...

Not paranoid in the slightest...

Anyone can recognize the ongoing pattern:

with each passing year more and more pressure is being applied to clamp down on foreign retirees.

The updated (increased) financial requirement change in near term seems to be very likely at this point.

e.g. 800K --> 1M and 400K -->500K

14 hours ago, Saltire said:

Another consideration may be if you are on a marriage extension and something happens to your wife, or you get divorced, I believe you can no longer stay on that extension, and may have to leave and start again on a retirement basis, which means you need double the money in the bank, os more per month on income. I am sure someone will correct me if this is incorrect.

I am married but prefer the retirement option for an easier ride at the annual renewals.

And while still just conjecture, any health insurance requirements for long stay visa may or may not be a factor soon. 

9 hours ago, Sharks3012 said:

Thanks for all the feedback/advice. As most things, of course everyone has their own reasons for choosing the option that they did. Although it seems that there may be slightly more paperwork involved, reckon I might try the marriage extension of stay visa. Once again, thanks to all who took the time to offer advice. Appreciate it. 

I'm in the same situation, and while my choice was initially going to be to go the retirement option because of easier documentation and on the spot approval, I changed my mind and will now get a Non-O based on marriage in the UK before I leave, and then move to annual extensions once in Thailand. They are making it harder for retirees now, the compulsory insurance is just the first step. Insurance is of course a good idea though.  I may be wrong but I think they will always treat spouses of Thai nationals more favourably than retirees.

• Like 2

If I can tag on to this discussion… I’m in the middle of the process right now.

I got to Thailand on January 11 visa exempt. This week I got my bank account open for 400,000 baht just arrived (plus a little extra for good measure).

Obviously I will not get my OA during my 30 day VE, so should I put in for a tourist extension first, and then start theOA process? Or can can I start the OA and then get a 30 day extension later? Can this all be done within the timeframe I have available? Thanks. 

My wife since 10+ years say that her friends boyfriend just had to show Incomstletter (Udon Immi)that it stated 400.000 bath,marriage VISA ..not 40.000/month.UboneJoe i said to my wife it has to BE 40.000 A MONTH..NOT only 400.000 a year that his Incomstletter state.He had some month ONLY 35.000 some moth more..it all totalled 400.000 + little bit more.

I stated minimum 40.000 a MONTH...Or 400.000 in the bank..My friend got his Marriage VISA showing only his Incomst letter showing a yearly total of 400.000.

Which is right UboneJoe?

Something which happens frequently here,

one forget to mention that if you are not American, Australian or British, you still can obtain a "Letter of Income¨at your embassy/consulate.

No need to park any money in Thailand or to transfer  monthly 40/65000 if you don't wish to.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DuiDui48 said:

I stated minimum 40.000 a MONTH...Or 400.000 in the bank..My friend got his Marriage VISA showing only his Incomst letter showing a yearly total of 400.000.

Which is right UboneJoe?

It is 40k baht a month which totals to 480 baht or 400k baht in the bank for 2 months.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, USNret said:

If I can tag on to this discussion… I’m in the middle of the process right now.

I got to Thailand on January 11 visa exempt. This week I got my bank account open for 400,000 baht just arrived (plus a little extra for good measure).

Obviously I will not get my OA during my 30 day VE, so should I put in for a tourist extension first, and then start theOA process? Or can can I start the OA and then get a 30 day extension later? Can this all be done within the timeframe I have available? Thanks. 

You cannot get an OA visa in Thailand, only in your own country.

Did you perhaps mean an O visa? You can either get an O visa before coming or convert a visa exempt entry to an O visa after you arrive. And then do an extension of stay based on that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You cannot get an OA visa in Thailand, only in your own country.

Did you perhaps mean an O visa? You can either get an O visa before coming or convert a visa exempt entry to an O visa after you arrive. And then do an extension of stay based on that.

Sorry my mistake — I mean non-O. I will try to fix my post when I get home. Thank you.

On 1/23/2020 at 9:37 AM, 4MyEgo said:

It is true when they say the retirement extension is easier, i.e. the Non-O based on retirement, apart from having 800,000 baht in the bank or the monthly 65,000 baht deposit, immigration can do it on the spot, i.e. if you have all the docs they want. The other requirement is if your doing it on the lump sum side of things, you have to have the money in your account 2-3 months before and 3 months after and keep 400,000 in there for the year from what I have read.

The marriage extension has to sent to Bangkok, immigration don't like it because it gets checked by Bangkok and they have to make sure all the docs are correct, e.g. has to be perfect and there are a few more docs required.

When I first came here 4 years ago I went to get the marriage extension 400,000 in the bank or 40,000 per month, and they convinced me to get the retirement extension, the carrot was that they could do it on the spot, otherwise the docs had to go to bangkok and I would have to wait a month, so I went with the flow, but changed it a year later, they weren't happy and apart from the annual renewals, just recently I had to get some updated docs, it's a bit of a pain, but when isn't it when visiting immigration.

If you can afford to leave the money in the bank for the year or have the monthly income, then the retirement method would be the easiest, but for me, I prefer the marriage extension, because tomorrow if they decide they want retirees out, i.e. those without partners/wives, then they have no legs to stand on whereas being married might be looked upon as a supporter of a wife/partner with offsprings, call me paranoid, but that is just me, worst case scenario, we pack up and move.

Or he could go for a marriage visa, not keep anything in the bank that he didn't want to, and just nip over a border for an hour every three months - or use that 90-day exit requirement to visit somewhere nearby for a day or two, with or without the wife. As an example, I spent a nice 36 hours in Singapore last time. And while there discovered that, unlike in Thailand, prices at the airport in the food court, 7-11 and duty free were normal and not inflated. In fact a bottle of scotch I bought was half the price it would have cost me in Thailand.

On 1/23/2020 at 9:37 AM, 4MyEgo said:

It is true when they say the retirement extension is easier, i.e. the Non-O based on retirement, apart from having 800,000 baht in the bank or the monthly 65,000 baht deposit, immigration can do it on the spot, i.e. if you have all the docs they want. The other requirement is if your doing it on the lump sum side of things, you have to have the money in your account 2-3 months before and 3 months after and keep 400,000 in there for the year from what I have read.

The marriage extension has to sent to Bangkok, immigration don't like it because it gets checked by Bangkok and they have to make sure all the docs are correct, e.g. has to be perfect and there are a few more docs required.

When I first came here 4 years ago I went to get the marriage extension 400,000 in the bank or 40,000 per month, and they convinced me to get the retirement extension, the carrot was that they could do it on the spot, otherwise the docs had to go to bangkok and I would have to wait a month, so I went with the flow, but changed it a year later, they weren't happy and apart from the annual renewals, just recently I had to get some updated docs, it's a bit of a pain, but when isn't it when visiting immigration.

If you can afford to leave the money in the bank for the year or have the monthly income, then the retirement method would be the easiest, but for me, I prefer the marriage extension, because tomorrow if they decide they want retirees out, i.e. those without partners/wives, then they have no legs to stand on whereas being married might be looked upon as a supporter of a wife/partner with offsprings, call me paranoid, but that is just me, worst case scenario, we pack up and move.

But don't forget that a lot of married retirees, still have the retirement extensions.

I would go for the marriage extension if you are eligible. I think Thailand will continue to make changes to the retirement extensions.

It may be that Thai authorities will become increasingly ambivalent about single older men/pensioners living in Thailand, particularly given that Thai society is ageing. 

On the other hand, I think Thai authorities recognise that making life difficult for foreigners on marriage extensions could backfire by causing hardship to Thai partners and their dependents.

I'm not saying that single retirees do not support Thais equally, there is just a perception that maybe many are just here for the women (as unfair as that perception may be).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SoonOh said:

"Retirement Visa" non-OA does not require wife's 'Guarantee' Permission 

"Marriage Visa" non-0 every year wife will have to grant 'Guarantee' Permission 

It's Up to You 

I am on my 4th Marriage extension and wife has never had to grant or guarantee permission. 

• Like 1

Just after some info regarding the marriage visa.

I am currently on a non O retirement visa,living in Thailand now for 4 yrs. I live with my Thai partner in Chiang Mai,I follow a guy on YouTube that is married to a Thai lady,but he has to do visa runs. Can someone explain to me the purpose of a visa run if your married to a Thai lady. I thought you would just do your 90 day report,then go to your local immigration office to renew your visa after 12 months.

Are there different types of marriage visas.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1