Retirement v Marriage "visa"

4 minutes ago, Titan1962 said:

Are there different types of marriage visas.

There are non-o visas based upon marriage to a Thai issued by embassies and consulates. The person you mentioned is on a multiple entry non-o visa that allows 90 day entries for one year from the day it issued.

You have a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage to a Thai issued by immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

In case of death the extension will remain valid until it expires. Unless it occurred shortly before your extension ends you would have time to apply for one based upon retirement.

Some like me might have a Thai child and could apply for being their parent. There is even an option for them to support you that could  be used.

Hi Joe, as a matter of interest only, does a retireee, who has a Thai child have the choice of using the option you refer to in your last paragraph while still married or is it only available if you are divorced or your wife is deceased ?

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There are non-o visas based upon marriage to a Thai issued by embassies and consulates. The person you mentioned is on a multiple entry non-o visa that allows 90 day entries for one year from the day it issued.

You have a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage to a Thai issued by immigration.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

so if I decide to marry my Thai partner here in thailand,I presume that I would not have to do visa runs. I would just do my 90 day reporting as per usual. Then just go to the local immigration office here in Chiang Mai after 12 months and renew the marriage visa.

Rinse and repeat just like I am doing with the retirement visa.

42 minutes ago, Titan1962 said:

Just after some info regarding the marriage visa.

I am currently on a non O retirement visa,living in Thailand now for 4 yrs. I live with my Thai partner in Chiang Mai,I follow a guy on YouTube that is married to a Thai lady,but he has to do visa runs. Can someone explain to me the purpose of a visa run if your married to a Thai lady. I thought you would just do your 90 day report,then go to your local immigration office to renew your visa after 12 months.

The advantages of the non-o marriage VISA over an extension.

No 90 day reporting, no Tm30, no health insurance, no paperwork, no home visits, no lengthy queues at immigration, no 400k/800k in the bank (no proof of finances at all), no re-entry permits, lasts 15 months.

Disadvantages.

You have to leave the country every 90 days, it costs $200

PS

I'm not sure what anyone thinks they are 'renewing' (VISA or extension), you are buying a new one, with the same paperwork required every time.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The advantages of the non-o marriage VISA over an extension.

No 90 day reporting, no Tm30, no health insurance, no paperwork, no home visits, no lengthy queues at immigration, no 400k/800k in the bank (no proof of finances at all), no re-entry permits, lasts 15 months.

Disadvantages.

You have to leave the country every 90 days, it costs $200

PS

I'm not sure what anyone thinks they are 'renewing' (VISA or extension), you are buying a new one, with the same paperwork required every time.

Thanks for the info.

On 1/23/2020 at 3:35 AM, ubonjoe said:

The choice would be between a extension of stay (it is not a visa) applied for at immigration.

A extension of stay based upon marriage requires a little more paperwork but only requires 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of a income of 40k baht.

A extension of stay based upon retirement requires 800k baht in the bank for 2 months when you apply and then for 3 months after that day and then 400k baht for the remainder of the year or proof of 65k baht income

I applied for an extension of stay based upon marriage many years ago and I am still using that option. I chose it because I felt it was the correct extension for me since I am staying here to be with my Thai family not for retirement. Plus at first due to the ability to get a work permit and work if I wanted to.

Are there any "every 90 days" border runs required if the visa is based on marriage? I'm confused as I just saw that claim in the Isaan - FB group.

• Haha 1

An annual non-O (marriage) extension requires your wife to be present at the immigration office or Hand written letter in Thai from wife verifying that you and your wife are still married and the purpose  for the extension is to VISIT your wife. Soon the letter will have to be notarized. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Enki said:

Are there any "every 90 days" border runs required if the visa is based on marriage? I'm confused as I just saw that claim in the Isaan - FB group.

If you get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage at a embassy or consulate it only allows 90 day entries for one year from the date of issue.

If you apply for a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage you at immigration you don't have to leave the country unless you want to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Titan1962 said:

Just after some info regarding the marriage visa.

I am currently on a non O retirement visa,living in Thailand now for 4 yrs. I live with my Thai partner in Chiang Mai,I follow a guy on YouTube that is married to a Thai lady,but he has to do visa runs. Can someone explain to me the purpose of a visa run if your married to a Thai lady. I thought you would just do your 90 day report,then go to your local immigration office to renew your visa after 12 months.

I assumed the same ...

56 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you apply for a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage you at immigration you don't have to leave the country unless you want to.

what are potential complications when going out of Thailand and then re-entering while on a one year extension based upon marriage? Any restrictions?

13 minutes ago, unheard said:

what are potential complications when going out of Thailand and then re-entering while on a one year extension based upon marriage? Any restrictions?

So long as you have a re-entry permit, no restrictions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, USNret said:

If I can tag on to this discussion… I’m in the middle of the process right now.

I got to Thailand on January 11 visa exempt. This week I got my bank account open for 400,000 baht just arrived (plus a little extra for good measure).

Obviously I will not get my OA during my 30 day VE, so should I put in for a tourist extension first, and then start theOA process? Or can can I start the OA and then get a 30 day extension later? Can this all be done within the timeframe I have available? Thanks. 

Forget O-A, you can ONLY get an O-A Visa in your home country. You can get a 30 day extension on your 30 day VE Entry. The next process would be to convert your VE Entry.. (or Extension of it) into a Non-Imm-O Entry. (A Non-Imm-O Visa is put into your passport, and immediately stamped as used, you get 90 day Permission of Stay, this is done at a domestic Immigration Office). 

Next step, in the last 15 days or month, would be to apply for a one year Extension. 

On 1/24/2020 at 5:44 PM, Stevemercer said:

I would go for the marriage extension if you are eligible. I think Thailand will continue to make changes to the retirement extensions.

It may be that Thai authorities will become increasingly ambivalent about single older men/pensioners living in Thailand, particularly given that Thai society is ageing. 

On the other hand, I think Thai authorities recognise that making life difficult for foreigners on marriage extensions could backfire by causing hardship to Thai partners and their dependents.

I'm not saying that single retirees do not support Thais equally, there is just a perception that maybe many are just here for the women (as unfair as that perception may be).

I have some difficulty reconciling the logic you express here as there are many married men and I know several including myself who choose to use Retirement Extensions rather than Marriage Extensions.

Surely if the situation you describe in paragraph three occurred, it would have the same effect on those retirees using Retirement Extensions and face the authorities with the same dilemma. 

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I have some difficulty reconciling the logic you express here as there are many married men and I know several including myself who choose to use Retirement Extensions rather than Marriage Extensions.

Surely if the situation you describe in paragraph three occurred, it would have the same effect on those retirees using Retirement Extensions and face the authorities with the same dilemma. 

I just suspect that Thai Immigration will keep fiddling with the requirement for retirement extensions. They might even introduce compulsory health insurance at some stage.

It might eventually get to the stage where a marriage extension offers more certainty.

As a policy position, if this ever comes about, I suspect the big bosses at immigration would not be sympathetic and say that, well, if you are married to a Thai then you should be on a marriage extension. If you in a de facto relationship, well, get married.

• Haha 1

Yes I do believe that marriage extensions will always be treated more favourably than retirement extensions. However they will then more tightly assess them to be sure the marriage is genuine.

Edited by Tuvoc

14 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I just suspect that Thai Immigration will keep fiddling with the requirement for retirement extensions. They might even introduce compulsory health insurance at some stage.

It might eventually get to the stage where a marriage extension offers more certainty.

As a policy position, if this ever comes about, I suspect the big bosses at immigration would not be sympathetic and say that, well, if you are married to a Thai then you should be on a marriage extension. If you in a de facto relationship, well, get married.

You would be wrong.

Imm officers 100% prefer retirement extensions over those based on marriage. Why? Far more easy for them. In same way some (very few) push even the retirement based extensions to "money in bank method" over income method. Same reason. 

BTW if insurance was extended to retirement non o extensions....what on Earth would give you confidence it would not follow on to marriage etc

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes I do believe that marriage extensions will always be treated more favourably than retirement extensions. However they will then more tightly assess them to be sure the marriage is genuine.

They already do that. Many imm office have follow up home visit. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. if your married then split ie not living together then your current permission of stay has expired.

4 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

It would also be prudent to expect and be prepared for a future increase in the amount of money in the bank/monthly receipts requirement for all extensions.

Edited by unheard

5 hours ago, lagarto said:

Joe please can you tell me how to apply for a work permit with the extension base on 800k  and married to a Thai lady, thanks

You would first have to change to an extension based upon marriage. You would not be able to apply for one with an extension based upon retirement.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You would be wrong.

Imm officers 100% prefer retirement extensions over those based on marriage. Why? Far more easy for them. In same way some (very few) push even the retirement based extensions to "money in bank method" over income method. Same reason. 

BTW if insurance was extended to retirement non o extensions....what on Earth would give you confidence it would not follow on to marriage etc

But I might be right.

While the provincial immigration offices prefer retirement over marriage extensions, because they are easier for them, they will do whatever the boss in Bangkok tells them. There are many examples of central policy directions being difficult to implement at the provincial level (e.g TM 30, monthly income transfers).

I think immigration policy will continue to accept marriage extensions and not make life difficult for such farang because it is recognised that hardship will occur to Thai families if such people are forced out by ever changing and more difficult immigration requirements.

On the other hand, as Thailand moves towards developed nation status (at least in the minds of those in charge) there may be less and less tolerance (in a policy sense) for pensioned retirees. After all, no developed countries allow foreigners on a modest income to retire to those countries. Why should Thailand?

While there are many similarities between retirement/marriage extensions, I suspect that in the Thai mindset it will become increasingly black and white. You are either married, and supporting a Thai family, or a single retiree etching out a modest living. Who is more desirable?

Edited by Stevemercer

4 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

While there are many similarities between retirement/marriage extensions, I suspect that in the Thai mindset it will become increasingly black and white. You are either married, and supporting a Thai family, or a single retiree etching out a modest living. Who is more desirable?

Or rich retirees who spend lots of cash and live very expensively. However if that type of person is the only one they want, then they can achieve that by substantially increasing the financial requirements for retirement extensions. Something they could not get away with for marriage extensions.

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 11:32 AM, Peter Denis said:

FYI > @Enki / @unheard / @Titan1962

There are 2 ways of staying long-term in Thailand when married to a thai national.

1. Starting from an O or OA Visa, and before validity expiry date applying for a 1-year extension for reason of marriage.

Main ADVANTAGE being that you do not need to leave the country every 3-5 months to do a border-run.

But there are several 'negative' factors to consider: you will need to re-apply every year at your local IO, and that requires quite some paper-work and admin hassle.  You also need to meet the financial requirements (400K money-in-bank method, or 40K monthly income-transfers), and need to do 90-day reporting (which can be done on-line).

2. Applying for a 1-year Multi-Entry Non Imm O marriage Visa at the thai embassy/consulate in Savannakhet, Laos / HCMC, Vietnam / Yangon, Myanmar.

Main ADVANTAGE being that such a Visa does not require any financials to be proven, and you are not subject to the yearly extension ordeal at your local IO (nor 90-day reporting).

However, that 1-year Multi-Entry Visa only allows you to stay 90 days in Thailand, after which you need to exit the country (can be done with same-day border-hops), and on re-entry you will get once again 90 days permission to stay.  For each entry you can also apply for a 60-day extension of stay at your local IO (costs 1900 THB), which would reduce the number of border-hops when inconvenient for you. When timed right (just exiting and re-entering before the Visa validity expires) you can squeeze 15 months out of the Visa (and can even extend it with another 2 months).

NOTE > When interested in up-to-date practical info for applying for the 1-year ME Non Imm O - marriage Visa at Savannakhet, HCMC and/or Yangon, just PM me, as I made a compilation of requirements/practicalities for the 3 consulates.

Thanks for the in depth information.

i am not married at the moment,living here on a retirement visa.

The required amount of money in the bank is not a real issue at this time. I was just looking at future options if we decided to get married,pitfalls etc. The only real advantage I can see to being on a marriage visa would be the ability to work here if required,plus only needing to have 400,000K Instead of 800,000K.

I personally think the visa runs would be a pain in the ass unless this was your only option.