Lopburi gold shop suspect: He's a former cop's son who says he did it for the thrill

webfact

Lopburi gold shop suspect: He's a former cop's son who says he did it for the thrill

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Further details have emerged into the background of the man police in Lopburi say robbed a gold shop on January 9th killing three innocent people in cold blood. 

Thirty eight year old Prasittichai "Golf" Khaokaew has reported said that he committed the callous crime because he wanted a thrill. He was bored with his life and wanted a challenge. 

Police are skeptical about these claims. What they do know for sure is that their man is the son of one of their own. His father is a former police officer, reported Sanook. 

(It has further been reported elsewhere that his mother was a teacher). 

Golf is the director of a primary school (Wat Pho Chai school) in nearby Singburi though he resides in Lopburi. 

Crime Suppression Division became aware of Golf's identity a week ago after tips from the public. Since then they have been involved in evidence gathering. 

They got a warrant for his arrest on Tuesday and then heavily armed officers stopped the suspect on Wednesday morning as he drove his BMW Series 5 car to school along Route 311 in Tha Wung sub-district of Lopburi.

He offered no resistance and reportedly said he expected to be arrested. The takedown was made by the special task force team known as "Hanuman". 

No gun was found in his possession but police found a lot of 9mm ammunition the same as that used in the heist. 

The gun - a Czech made CZ SP 01 - was the property of his father. He had given it back to him the day after the robbery. 

He was taken to the tourist police station following his arrest. 

The 2008 red Yamaha Fino motorcycle used in the robbery was borrowed from his father-in-law and has since been returned to him. 

Head of the team involved in the investigations Pol Maj-Gen Jiraphop Phuridech thanked the public for their help. Much of this had been provided to the CSD through online interaction. 

More details will be given at a press conference scheduled for RTP headquarters in Bangkok at 10.30 today. 

Yesterday in Lopburi a clearly relieved national police chief Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda told the massed ranks of the media that he was quite sure they had got their man and that he was not a scapegoat. 

Elsewhere in the media a relative of one of the three people shot - an employee of the Aurora gold shop - indicated that the murder had nothing to do with jealousy. 

Surakit, the father of Thidarat Thongthip, 31, said he had never seen nor met the suspect. 

The heist shocked Thailand as three people - including a two year old boy -  were viciously killed and only 500,000 baht of gold was stolen. 

It has been reported that the gold has been dumped in a river. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-23
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CGW said:

I'm used to making a fool of myself so I will have a go at stating what I find wrong ????

The motive changes by the hour, was it a "hit", did he do it for the money as he was in debt, or did he do it for the "thrill", jealousy was a part? regardless - he then went calmly out that night for a meal!

DNA, do the 'Police" now have a mobile testing lab, if so where is it accredited? Sweat sample, murder, carnage, chaos, lots of people, yet this newly established unit managed to match sweat samples from the perp, given their history with all things criminal & DNA, I can't help but wonder?

To an intelligent comment I can always answer indirectly, what I wrote I did not say that it is not the killer, but what I meant and that will never come true because simply, the killer could be a professional killer paid by someone very powerful that probably not even the killer knows.

Have matter to reflect also in this way.

Edited by ICELANDMAN
  • Haha 1

Hope he gets off by paying blood money to the families. No way a cops son will be safe in jail. The crime was terrible, but as farangs we don’t  understand the Thai vortex. This is a situation where the police and families can take home a nice profit. Case closed.

• Haha 1

I can see why his life was bored!  but turning to be a criminal should have been the first thing to cross off the list. How he ever got to be a teacher is beyond me too?  He borrowed the gun from his father and bike from his father in-law then return both?  Maybe that is how he got turn in? 

In another story, after the event he had lunch with his girlfriend, pay back?  This is a guy just too stupid to do anything else in life. The penalty is obvious.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dddave said:

The motorbike, ammunition, gun and DNA match. He confessed in public, not in a back room. The burned clothing was where he said it would be as was the gold.  

Why don't you explain just what you think is wrong with the arrest?

One hypothesis: he surrendered in the place of someone else; a voluntary scapegoat.

4 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Everything is wrong in this arrest, maybe the truth will never come out

I was going to ask if all you cynics were happy now with all the evidence released and how they found out it was him, but evidently not. 

Thaivisa disease I guess...

I’m guessing you don’t have a hobby and you’re not happy here. 

I’m not picking just on you, this Is for everybody that’s been slagging  off the police and coming up with their own armchair quarterback <deleted> theories. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

One hypothesis: he surrendered in the place of someone else; a voluntary scapegoat.

It was great planning by him to manage to injure his leg previously to match that of the real criminal if that was the case. Or are you suggesting the real criminal learnt to mimic the injury of your patsy via method acting?

What of the gun ownership and ballistics and that of the scooter ownership? What of the gold found on site at the father's residence?

• Like 2

Is it possible that he is in fact a hitman? . But, this time he decided to take it further by stealing some gold for his own little bonus.  Reason for not telling the truth? maybe does not want to be connected to past hits/murders? Telling the truth could also cause potential repercussions by snitching on influential connections...  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, AlexJohanson said:

Hope he gets off by paying blood money to the families. No way a cops son will be safe in jail. The crime was terrible, but as farangs we don’t  understand the Thai vortex. This is a situation where the police and families can take home a nice profit. Case closed.

Sorry, I don't get your point. Are you seriously saying that you want him to be able to walk free after paying money to people simply because he would be at risk in prison? That doesn't seem like any rational way to run a justice system. Also, in western prisons at least, he'd be at greater risk for having killed a child than for having a father who was a police officer. I'm not sure how different it would be here...  

Given the abhorrent nature of the crime, I could see how even family members (a wife, father in law, etc.) would not hesitate to tip off the police. That's likely what happened here. There are enough items that he borrowed from others to make for a solid case. And if there is really DNA tying him to the scene, it's open and shut. That said, the true motive might be harder to determine... even without considering the different motives the suspect has offered, the whole thing was hard to understand (killing a toddler for no reason, stealing only a small amount of gold, etc etc ).  

3 hours ago, CGW said:

The motive changes by the hour, was it a "hit", did he do it for the money as he was in debt, or did he do it for the "thrill", jealousy was a part?

I believe all these 'motives' were speculation from social media.  I'm pretty sure that the RTP had never issued a statement suggesting motive, until now.

for the first time I believe the police have the right man, even so I am still wondering its like a politician being honest, one thing I did not see them show the name on the jealery a real give away. And the wife should be 600,000b richer now?

Edited by johnarth
more info