Sugar cane farmer: Burning is necessary - Go ahead "jail us all!"

webfact

29 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Just use the right equipment.

As we say in the french army : " yakafaucon "

Used to criticize and make fun of people who offer unrealistic solutions to others and who remain vague on the means.

With what money will Thai farmers, who are mostly very poor, be able to afford machines worth several million baht?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

the OP has 1000 rai - he can afford to rent a harvester 

hell he can afford to buy a couple of them

Him yes,

but tens and even hundreds of thousands of other farmers who own or worse who are only shareclots on farms which they are not owners, they can not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The wife tells me there are now two prices for sugar cane offered by the government which includes a higher price where the cane has not been burned, seems like a good incentive to me. If that's true, what's this idiots problem!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GarryP said:

The higher price is insufficient to offset labor costs so burning is still more profitable or at least no less profitable. 

Thanks. But does the higher price really need to completely offset the entire cost of labor, at some point the moral and social value of not burning has a value.....for most people that is.

1 minute ago, MikeN said:

NEWSFLASH ! Rice and corn were once only harvested by hand too, but most is done by "expensive" machines nowadays. This guy with 1000 rai of cane would be able to afford his own, other farmers could hire a machine and operator to harvest their crop just as my wife's family bring in a contractor for their rice crop.

No, contractor cost money,

Labour cost money,

Unleaded not expensive,

Can burn garbage too and promote mushrooms.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You just can't help stupid can you.....off to jail for a long time, set an example, that might help the other stupids ?

I wonder if Bamphen has any family members with respiratory problems? The children accompany their parents and breathe this junk into their lungs, but hey, that's life.

• Like 2

All the sugar cane fields I see in Ratchaburi they harvest mechanically without burning.  But once the fields are harvested they burn them.  Just north in Kanchanaburi I see the trucks there hauling cane that has been burnt.

• Sad 1