Sugar cane farmer: Burning is necessary - Go ahead "jail us all!"

webfact

10 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I'm not anti sugar but the world does not need this crop especially if this is the cost. I bet we'd all be absolutely shocked at what a kg of processed natural cane sugar sells for at the commodity level. Not to mention the water involved. What about sugar beets?

What a fool

Just over 400 USD a ton at present. The sugar price varies considerably over time. The farmers get 1000 baht a ton the last time I asked, but that was 5 years ago. The farmers get paid by weight, not sugar content which doesn't encourage good practices. In Australia they get paid by a calculation of weight and sugar content. All cane is mechanically harvested in Australia and has been for decades. Majority is cut green, i.e. unburnt.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Boring. Better some nice new tools for the generals.

Don't forget the largest problem - looking at the factory busses shows the Thai's ability to actually keep vehicles in a serviceable condition. I remember an article explaining why the use of harvesters already failed in this country...

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

Probably that it takes a longer time and a lot more people (that he will have to pay for) and the cost will come out of his pocket and profits.

It probably isn't, but it is certainly .

When you know a little about how certain cultures work in Thailand, which is my case and that of rare members of this forum, we can ask ourselves some existential questions of the genre:
but how do peasants manage to live?

I'm not talking about the very large operators who have tens of thousands of rai and who, moreover, live "in the city" and only come to the countryside to cash their checks.

I'm talking about these thousands, these hundreds of thousands of farmers who have from 2 to 10 rai of land and who have to live on it all year round;
if they manage to survive it is because one or more of their children have been looking overseas for the missing money or because one of the girls is in Pattaya .. no need to write more ...

I have the very clear impression that on this forum there is a large majority of Farang members who know absolutely nothing about the world of rurality in Thailand and a small minority which is "pro -Prayuth"; the latter can make all the announcements and have all the bulls.hit he wants; it will always be very good.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I'm not anti sugar but the world does not need this crop especially if this is the cost. I bet we'd all be absolutely shocked at what a kg of processed natural cane sugar sells for at the commodity level. Not to mention the water involved. What about sugar beets?

What a fool

It doesn't look like- sugar beet can be grown commercially in Thailand.

This thread is from 2012

https://www.qdma.com/food-plot-species-profile-sugar-beets/

Sugar beets can reach maturity in 90 to 100 days and grow best when daytime temperatures are between 60 to 75 degrees and nighttime temperatures between 40 to 50 degrees. Sugar beets can be planted in late spring in the North or early spring in more southern locations. Deep South states like Louisiana, Florida, South Alabama, South Georgia and similar areas are not well suited for growing this crop.

https://msibsri4313.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/factsheet-tropical-sugarbeet.pdf

12-4-2010

Sugar beet is the largest sugar crop in the world after sugar cane. It is mostly grown in
temperate and drier areas of the world. Sugar beet requires a soil that is not too stony or
clayey. It has a relatively high tolerance of saline and alkaline soils and has a relatively low water use. Sugar beet is grown as an annual crop and multiplied by seed. It has a thickened taproot that accumulates sugar. Under tropical conditions, the growth cycle is about 6 months.

In the tropics, sugar beet is still a crop of marginal significance. It has been grown in higher regions (> 1500 m) or in dry or saline conditions where sugar cane is no option. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

It probably isn't, but it is certainly .

When you know a little about how certain cultures work in Thailand, which is my case and that of rare members of this forum, we can ask ourselves some existential questions of the genre:
but how do peasants manage to live?

I'm not talking about the very large operators who have tens of thousands of rai and who, moreover, live "in the city" and only come to the countryside to cash their checks.

I'm talking about these thousands, these hundreds of thousands of farmers who have from 2 to 10 rai of land and who have to live on it all year round;
if they manage to survive it is because one or more of their children have been looking overseas for the missing money or because one of the girls is in Pattaya .. no need to write more ...

I have the very clear impression that on this forum there is a large majority of Farang members who know absolutely nothing about the world of rurality in Thailand and a small minority which is "pro -Prayuth"; the latter can make all the announcements and have all the bulls.hit he wants; it will always be very good.

I live in a small moo ban in rural Khampaeng Phet backing onto the Mae Wong national park.

I have lived here since 2004 and I am certainly not pro Prayuth neither are my neighbours nor a lot of local villagers.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Just over 400 USD a ton at present. The sugar price varies considerably over time. The farmers get 1000 baht a ton the last time I asked, but that was 5 years ago. The farmers get paid by weight, not sugar content which doesn't encourage good practices. In Australia they get paid by a calculation of weight and sugar content. All cane is mechanically harvested in Australia and has been for decades. Majority is cut green, i.e. unburnt.

The Thai government must be akle to buy some cheap havesters from Austrailia now with the drout that is there now.

Edited by Sumarianson

Before the people came the farmer worked his land too provide for the city folks now the city folks want to settle on the farmland and do away with crops, What is the answer? Stop selling the land for home development ..Will this happen!Hell No

I never buy sugar cane sugar. Only palm sugar and the proper European stuff. Who in the world buys sugar cane sugar?

Australia may harvest and use machinery but didn't stop it from polluting the world with its massive wood fires. The smog from the Australians is felt all over the world, including South America. Australians should sort out their own backyard before lecturing anyone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/01/07/pollutants-bush-fires-australia-will-circle-globe/

Edited by Logosone
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2020 at 2:24 PM, webfact said:

He said he is seriously considering abandoning sugar cane, a crop he has grown in the province for 30 years before the sugar mills even came. 

You have the right idea mate stop the cane growing and plant marijuana some people have a passion for this. Tell the court you want to make a deal ????️‍♂️

On 1/24/2020 at 9:09 AM, Assurancetourix said:

When you know a little about how certain cultures work in Thailand, which is my case and that of rare members 

I have the very clear impression that on this forum there is a large majority of Farang members who know absolutely nothing about the world of rurality in Thailand 

And in the mean time you say nothing that contributes to this discussion, so maybe time to come off your high horse.

Burning has to stop, just as dumping barrels of nuclear waste in the oceans had to stop. Holding on to traditions or belief systems is no longer valid, civilisation has evolved.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 6:50 PM, Sumarianson said:

The Thai government must be akle to buy some cheap havesters from Austrailia now with the drout that is there now.

Australia is a very, very big country. Not much drought in cane country. Over 9 million tonnes irrigated where I come from.

Edited by emptypockets

On 1/24/2020 at 7:48 PM, Logosone said:

I never buy sugar cane sugar. Only palm sugar and the proper European stuff. Who in the world buys sugar cane sugar?

Australia may harvest and use machinery but didn't stop it from polluting the world with its massive wood fires. The smog from the Australians is felt all over the world, including South America. Australians should sort out their own backyard before lecturing anyone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/01/07/pollutants-bush-fires-australia-will-circle-globe/

What a silly post. Proper European stuff. No clue at all about sugar farming, growth , processing and marketing.

Please refrain from insulting personal attacks or I will have to shame you with my devastating knowledge of sugar.

For instance, in Europe sugar is made from sugar beets, not sugar cane. 

I am surprised you did not know that. About 20-25% of the world's sugar is from sugar beets, not sugar cane, and 85% of all sugar consumed in France, Germany or Poland is made from sugar beets. In a very safe way, that involves no burning of plants whatsoever.

I also find it qualitatively superior to sugar cane sugar, less clumpy and likely to stick together.

• Haha 1