BANGKOK
webfact

Sugar cane farmer: Burning is necessary - Go ahead "jail us all!"

He said he is seriously considering abandoning sugar cane, a crop he has grown in the province for 30 years before the sugar mills even came. 

That wont work he belongs to a nation of talkers and no action.

• Like 1

Then do it ! Jail the lot of them for attempted Murder

Arrogant Sods

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dyertribe said:

you will note that the cane is burnt before it's harvested (see the image) and it's to clear out the matted lower growth (and snakes).  It is not to burn the residue.

This is not necessary when it's machine harvested, but when cut by hand it is ...

The solution ... create a pool of harvesters that can be cheaply hired by the farmers and find new jobs for the cane cutters.

Far too logical for this country, plus who's gonna pay for it?

the gov. certainly won't, no profit for them...

• Like 2

Quote:-

"lose 30-40% of their income if they are forced to pay workers to cut down old stems"

Am I missing something here? They burn the cane to remove the leaves so that the stems (cane) can then be cut by workers for stacking on lorries maximizing space for cane without leaves and profit! There are no "old stems" left that have to be burnt.

6 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Ummm, but by smoking weed they were creating air pollution, too. They should stay there.

Look the guy might be ignorant to the greater issue of safe, clean air. But the guy and many like him just don't have the margins in geowing a crop where he gets screwed by the mills on price year after year. There should be a pro active solution by the government. They should give up on treating the effects with portable scrubbers and the like and get to the heart of the matter.

The Government need to develop a plan to assist these farmers in either cutting through the undergrowth economically or they need to assist them in moving to a new crop which isn't reliant on burning or manual / mechanical removal of undergrowth.

On a tangent, I once spoke to an electrical contractor who ran cables through the barriers of a walk bridge. By doing so, it menat people using the walk bridge would need to avoid the wires. I asked him why he did it, knowing that it would cause issues. He advised me that another contractor was meant to have moved the pole so it didn't cause the cables to foul on the bridge. The pole contractor didn't do his job properly.

So this contractor claimed he had no recourse. If he didn't install the cables, he wouldn't get paid, may have been in default and needed to pay. He also wouldn't have received future work. He claimed he had no way of advising that the pole was in the wrong location and therefore could not complete his job properly. I'm not sure if he was telling the whole truth, but there is certainly a disconnect. I asked a concretor once about a similar issue and I got a similar result.

I don't blame the farmer in this instance. I blame the government for letting the situation get to this state.

Why does the government need to come to the farmer's rescue? Why the special treatment?

Do other Thai businesses get this special treatment? 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dyertribe said:

you will note that the cane is burnt before it's harvested (see the image) and it's to clear out the matted lower growth (and snakes).  It is not to burn the residue.

This is not necessary when it's machine harvested, but when cut by hand it is ...

The solution ... create a pool of harvesters that can be cheaply hired by the farmers and find new jobs for the cane cutters.

Have the government subsidize the equipment 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Why does the government need to come to the farmer's rescue? Why the special treatment?

Do other Thai businesses get this special treatment? 

They subsidize much of the farming anyway, but tourism and public health cost alone is huge 

47 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Harvesting here is only over a few short months....as is the milling operation.

In the case of the mills, the remaining 9 odd months of the year are spent on servicing and repairs.

Same could be done with harvesters.

One of Thailand's biggest sugar producers has huge cane fields and mills in Australia.

All leveled dead flat,  all mechanically harvested by GPS machines,  and run by 2 or 3 men.

NO burning done there in the last 50 years .

Exactly 

this may have been said before, I will say it anyway. There are machinery which will cut the cane down with no burning. NO BURNING I would suggest the sugar cane farmers look into this option it is much better than spending time in jail, a big fine or both. Burning of sugar cane we can do without our health is much more valuable than your sugar cane. 

33 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Look at who owns the companies that make the real money from Sugar cane, it may give you a clue as to why the government is so keen to "rescue" farmers, that and they don't wont them protesting in Bangkok!

• Thanks 1

He has 1000 rai of land, and he is presenting himself as a victim?

• Like 1