If all expats left: Little impact on Thai economy

5 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

No, I don't believe there is a  true Democracy here.   The military has ruled for decades either overtly or behind the scenes.  However, there is a limit to what the Thai people will continue to accept.  It has been reached before- in 1973; 1976 and 1992 but real change will take alot more than that.

It's coming soon. Thai friends in the know predict sometime this year. Unfortunately it won't be anything like the change you envisage. It's just going to get worse.

Without accounting for the multiplier effect of money circulation or money velocity, the estimated numbers do not reflect actual economic activity. 

A one thousand baht note may travel through many hands, perhaps 10, 20 or even more.

Real wealth and subsequent living standards are based on productivity and the number of transactions. Increases and decreases are thus exponential.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Maybe start thread “If all thai Chinese left. Big impact on economy” sure.

Check out Malasia. They had the same problem with Malay Chinese, who owned and ran Malasia. The Malay government introduced strict laws to prevent the Malay Chinese from forming the government and many other things. Malasia has prospered since then. Thai Chin make themselves very wealthy not the Thai people. The heart of corruption in Thailand.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, sucit said:

I am surprised hoe many good posts there are in here. I really thought this was going to turn into a bandwagon "Thailand would crash and burn without us".

Good for you folks. Many of you know what you are talking about.

Now the question becomes, why do so many expats feel the red carpet should be laid out for them?

I'm beginning to see a glimmer of hope that perhaps the trolls will not eventually overrun this forum after all and that comes as a real surprise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Check out Malasia. They had the same problem with Malay Chinese, who owned and ran Malasia. The Malay government introduced strict laws to prevent the Malay Chinese from forming the government and many other things. Malasia has prospered since then. Thai Chin make themselves very wealthy not the Thai people. The heart of corruption in Thailand.

Most rubbish statement ever posted about Malaysia (this is the way it is spelt). Pretty much every assertion you make in your post is wrong. 

p/s: there is no such thing as a Malay Chinese. One is either a Malay or a Chinese. 

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Most rubbish statement ever posted about Malaysia (this is the way it is spelt). Pretty much every assertion you make in your post is wrong. 

p/s: there is no such thing as a Malay Chinese. One is either a Malay or a Chinese. 

There are ethnic Malay, Malay Chinese and Malay Indians.

I remember speaking with a group of young people outside a bakery school in Georgetown. I asked them why a group of obviously bright young people chose to study at a bakery school. The all identified as Malay Chinese and explained the laws in Malasia that prevented Malay Chinese from attending the better schools and obtaining jobs in the civil service.

Edited by DannyCarlton

Just now, DannyCarlton said:

There are ethnic Malay, Malay Chinese and Malay Indians.

They are Malays or Malaysian Chinese or Malaysian Indians. ‘Malay’ is in itself a race. Malaysian Chinese and Indians will be offended if you refer to them as Malay Chinese/Indian. 

26 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I remember speaking with a group of young people outside a bakery school in Georgetown. I asked them why a group of obviously bright young people chose to study at a bakery school. The all identified as Malay Chinese and explained the laws in Malasia that prevented Malay Chinese from attending the better schools and obtaining jobs in the civil service.

Even more rubbish. No Malaysian Chinese or Indian is prevented from attending any schools nor working in the civil service. 
Do you not know that there are both Chinese and Indian ministers in the Government?

i suggest you stop digging. You may think you know but it is clear that you don’t. 

23 hours ago, Yinn said:

Can not control the thai people. Impossible.

Yeah, you are absolutely right. Now you put the head on the nail, Yinn!

Here is why:

• It doesn´t matter how many dies in traffic accidents every year, because they can´t be controlled enough to care. Also they can not follow the same pattern. Everyone must do like they want at any given second.
  • If there is a ban on burning, they just don´t care because they have always done like this.
  • The face thing. Do not confront me or refuse me or engage in any discussion that makes them feel dismissed or where they have no answers. Then the gun, knife or any other weapon at hand comes out.
  • The oceans are filled with plastic. They blame the foreign visitors, at the same time as they leave their trash on the beach after eating and drinking.
  • Doesn´t matter what they say to taxi drivers, and motorbike taxi. They still rip people off and fight in the streets for their customers.
  • Teachers in schools are still allowed to get away easy with hitting children and students, even if it stands clearly what the punishment should be in the law.

As you understand I can go on with much more, but I think this will be enough for you to deal with. The first you are going to do is use the Ppfffft-word and make some short 2-3 word comments, because that how far the ability to discuss reach. All those are going to be defending everything I have been posting ,even if you know it´s true. That has to do with the first sentence in point 3.

And just for you information, I will give you another clear fact. The Thai people are totally controlled by the people in power, the corruption and all the billionaries in Thailand. They are setting the rules for how good education that shall be provided, how high minimum wages shall be and all other important factors for approximately 70-80 % of the population and their capabilities for development and prosperity.

If people really cared they would go together in groups, unions and parties to be able to make changes happen. They know all this, but it´s too heavy to do and so much work to make happen.

The result of everything leads down the spiral to the final goal post where it stands: The ones who do not care enough respect other humans, life and nature will also be the ones that are denying that they should in any kind of way be controlled by others.

At first, I can not listen to you. That as you are a person that only tries to defend everything in your country. Guess you, like everybody else, were raised that way.

After that, you are trying to say that I am not happy, and that you are happy. You can not be more wrong. I am very happy and a part of that is because I can see both good and bad. That means a person living in reality without a blanket over my face. You on the other hand, are blind to the reality and truth, and always carry a blanket with you that helps you to overlook the things you don´t want to see or talk about.

Now, some short replies to your blindfolded replies.

Regarding death in traffic. Yes I am coming from a country that has 3 deaths per 100 000 in population, while Thailand has 33 deaths per 100 000 in population. As you can see, that´s a big difference. The difference is caused by people that follow traffic laws, go after the same rules and system in traffic as well as shows respect on the roads. Something that looks impossible to achieve in Thailand according to the factual numbers. So, the answer is YES! Can control, if it´s not a Thai person behind the wheel.

Air quality index in Ranong today according to Air Visual is 57, which means over double the safety standards set by WHO that says 25. However, the Thai health ministry has set the Thai air quality standard at 50 for being considered healthy. That must mean that Thailand know much better than World Health Organisation, right? However, at 57 that must still mean not healthy. It´s not like you are seeing a blue sky and all if perfect. That was something they thought when people were still living in caves. We have evolved since then. Ok, some of us have.

About attacking people with tanks and big weapons. No, my country does not do that either. What I am saying with this is not that you must be the one walking around with a gun och that somebody is using a gun or a knife against you. I do not understand why you focus on yourself as such an important factor in a discussion that is about things in general and not regarding a specific person. Too big and blown up ego after POTY-medal, I guess. Anyway, explain why Thailand has so many drivers and road rage that ends up with weapons they always carry with them? Why is men killing or hurting their wife with weapons or burn them more frequent in Thailand than most other countries? if you do not wish to answer, or do not have the answer, I can give it to you. It´s because they lack the capability, patience as well as knowledge to engage in a normal verbal fight, and when that is combined with the stupid believes in loss of face it turns lethal.

The quote about the garbage and not being able to find places to throw it stands. On the other hand, they also do not provide enough many places to throw. Still no reason to make your own country look dirty. Not saying that everybody leave their garbage and just walk away, but too many. I do not even throw a tissue or a barbecue stick by the roadside, and that´s the fact I live by.

Taxi´s! So, I should be the one to tell them to turn on the meter? Really? That way of thinking just proves my point that you can´t follow rules and do the right things. The Taxi is called TaxiMeter for a reason, and that is that every driver should use the meter and work after the same set of rules.

If I am a snowflake? Nah, I do not think so. If you do not consider a person that want to be safe leaving my kids in school and know that the teachers follow the rules. If you believe that is being a snowflake, then I will assume most parents are snowflakes. However, your way of discussing and answering is on a level of a five year old, so I will forgive you.

And, No, I do not argue with myself. Even though that might be better than trying to have a fruitful discussion with you. ????

Yes I do care about the people in Thailand, and I generally love them. That´s why I see the problems and talk about them. Not like you, being blind to the truth with a blanket over your head. No, I do not work in Thailand but I have an opinion that I am free to discuss. That´s the main reason why online forums exist.

And, by the way, your little nice picture with info at the end of your post is dated sept. 2017. You do know it´s 2020 now? I think some have changed and other countries are closing in on Thailand. Not enough yet, but as time goes by you will see it more clearly in another 5 years. With that said, if you are still alive and kicking when you only look at the sky and says everything is fine. Breath in breath out! ????

Edited by Rimmer
multiple quote mess removed

58 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

At first, I can not listen to you. That as you are a person that only tries to defend everything in your country. Guess you, like everybody else, were raised that way.

After that, you are trying to say that I am not happy, and that you are happy. You can not be more wrong. I am very happy and a part of that is because I can see both good and bad. That means a person living in reality without a blanket over my face. You on the other hand, are blind to the reality and truth, and always carry a blanket with you that helps you to overlook the things you don´t want to see or talk about.

Now, some short replies to your blindfolded replies.

Regarding death in traffic. Yes I am coming from a country that has 3 deaths per 100 000 in population, while Thailand has 33 deaths per 100 000 in population. As you can see, that´s a big difference. The difference is caused by people that follow traffic laws, go after the same rules and system in traffic as well as shows respect on the roads. Something that looks impossible to achieve in Thailand according to the factual numbers. So, the answer is YES! Can control, if it´s not a Thai person behind the wheel.

Air quality index in Ranong today according to Air Visual is 57, which means over double the safety standards set by WHO that says 25. However, the Thai health ministry has set the Thai air quality standard at 50 for being considered healthy. That must mean that Thailand know much better than World Health Organisation, right? However, at 57 that must still mean not healthy. It´s not like you are seeing a blue sky and all if perfect. That was something they thought when people were still living in caves. We have evolved since then. Ok, some of us have.

About attacking people with tanks and big weapons. No, my country does not do that either. What I am saying with this is not that you must be the one walking around with a gun och that somebody is using a gun or a knife against you. I do not understand why you focus on yourself as such an important factor in a discussion that is about things in general and not regarding a specific person. Too big and blown up ego after POTY-medal, I guess. Anyway, explain why Thailand has so many drivers and road rage that ends up with weapons they always carry with them? Why is men killing or hurting their wife with weapons or burn them more frequent in Thailand than most other countries? if you do not wish to answer, or do not have the answer, I can give it to you. It´s because they lack the capability, patience as well as knowledge to engage in a normal verbal fight, and when that is combined with the stupid believes in loss of face it turns lethal.

The quote about the garbage and not being able to find places to throw it stands. On the other hand, they also do not provide enough many places to throw. Still no reason to make your own country look dirty. Not saying that everybody leave their garbage and just walk away, but too many. I do not even throw a tissue or a barbecue stick by the roadside, and that´s the fact I live by.

Taxi´s! So, I should be the one to tell them to turn on the meter? Really? That way of thinking just proves my point that you can´t follow rules and do the right things. The Taxi is called TaxiMeter for a reason, and that is that every driver should use the meter and work after the same set of rules.

If I am a snowflake? Nah, I do not think so. If you do not consider a person that want to be safe leaving my kids in school and know that the teachers follow the rules. If you believe that is being a snowflake, then I will assume most parents are snowflakes. However, your way of discussing and answering is on a level of a five year old, so I will forgive you.

And, No, I do not argue with myself. Even though that might be better than trying to have a fruitful discussion with you. ????

Yes I do care about the people in Thailand, and I generally love them. That´s why I see the problems and talk about them. Not like you, being blind to the truth with a blanket over your head. No, I do not work in Thailand but I have an opinion that I am free to discuss. That´s the main reason why online forums exist.

And, by the way, your little nice picture with info at the end of your post is dated sept. 2017. You do know it´s 2020 now? I think some have changed and other countries are closing in on Thailand. Not enough yet, but as time goes by you will see it more clearly in another 5 years. With that said, if you are still alive and kicking when you only look at the sky and says everything is fine. Breath in breath out! ????

Wrong.

again.

20 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Wrong.

again.

How can it be wrong? Most of what I posted is taken from pure facts. Death toll per capita, Air Quality Index as 2 examples.

If all is wrong, then argue against it, and not hide behind a worthless thing like "wrong again". Tell me how it is. Tell me your facts.

Start by answer some questions:

• Why is it that Thailand has the highest or second highest death toll per capita in traffic year after year?
  • What is good with a teacher being verbally violent or physically hitting the students that they are supposed to teach what is right and wrong to?
  • Why is Thailand stating that their people is okey living with an air quality index of 50, when World Health Organisation says it should be 25?
  • Why does people have to agree about the price in a Taxi that have a meter, when the laws and rules states they must use the meter and can´t refuse customers based on destination?
  • Why is it that so many persons that end up in road rage or fights have a weapon ready to use?
  • Why do you refuse to see the facts and truth, instead of taking away the blanket and realize reality? (I am not saying that Thailand is bad. I am not saying that all Thais are bad. I am also not doing like you and believe everything is perfect and there is nothing wrong. I have chosen to se both good and bad. You should try that sometime.)

I have no expectation that you will even try to answer my questions, because you will just come up with some poor excuse. If you answer them it will also only be a half ar5ed try with short 2-5 word phrases.

Just move on and have a great blindfolded life.

So, there are no motorbikes in other countries? Just take Vietnam and Cambodia as 2 examples. They are not even close to the statistics regarding Thailands death toll.

So, if a child is naughty then the teacher can do what they want? Do they not have an education that includes psychology and a higher responsibility than the children?

No, Thai people much stronger, UGH! You can stand 100% more pollution than what´s recommended for other people.

Up to the driver! Yeah, ok! That´s like with everything else then. Everybody do like they want and disregard rules and laws. You do know the rest of the world call that anarchy?

So, farmers have guns, pipes and bats under their car seats or somewhere in the motorbike as well as in the tuk tuk?

There is only one reality. There is not my reality and your reality. One must be false. Like there is only one real Nike brand, but many fakes. At least I can discuss and provide information and facts for my arguments, but I let you decide. We all know the answer to that. However, one thing has to be taken into consideration. You are born in a country that has never been colonized or had any influence from another country. Therefore your ancestors, parents and you have grown up with only one way of looking at things. Only one opinion that is always the superior and best. That´s called a narrow look at life.

I do not complain. I voice my opinion and engage in discussions, where I can support them with some substantial facts as well as widespread information. What is your excuse?

Edited by Rimmer
Multiple quote mess removed

Several posts with multiple quotes have been removed, also replies

A post with an altered quote has been removed.

Keep doing either of the above and that person will face a long posting suspension as you have been warned not to do this multiple times previously!

5. Please do not quote multiple nested quotes. Quote only the relevant section that you are discussing. Moderators will snip excessively long nested quotes. 

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.