If all expats left: Little impact on Thai economy

Just now, Just Weird said:

For that to be the case you have to assume, very optimistically, that the local expats/retirees keep those businesses going!   What about the millions of tourists that are the real supporters of those businesses that you have excluded?

Unless they do something and fast they are ALSO losing a good segment of those million of tourists that are the real supporters of those businesses, 

Of course there will always be tourists, but numbers are down across the board. That at Ground level not on TAT's mystical ethereal floating headcounts of joy. It reads like a laundry list; Koh Samui, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya. all down and the Chinese who were touted as the saviors, as farang westerners gently (and not so gently) are nudged to the exits, are down. LNY holidays expect 20 % less. 

No doubt this is exciting & Happy news for the OP and JW, but, for many thais involved in the tourist industry, these are hard times. If the economy was booming in Thailand this would be a minor hiccup. Surprise, Surprise, the economy isn't booming.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1

Just now, Just Weird said:

That frequently repeated (on Thaivisa) statement never has any empirical evidence to back it up so they really don't have to worry.

TATs repeated courting of Middle Eastern & Indian Tourists turns turtle on your statement, just like the Phoenix.

What Me Worry?!

Aldownload (8).jpg

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I have the impression that you forget in your calculations the expats who come from Asia, the Chinese, the Koreans who own factories in Thailand;
the millions of Burmese, Laotians, Cambodians who work like slaves on fishing boats and in canneries ...

You go around in circles between the Germans, the Australians, the English, the Americans of the USA, the rare French and just as rare Italians and Norwegian ...

If all the slaves mentioned above suddenly left Thailand, this country would be in a beautiful s.hit because they do the dirty jobs that the Thai people do not want to do.

We can just look 1 country away, a perfect example: https://southeastasiaglobe.com/how-to-restore-sihanoukville/

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:
10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

That frequently repeated (on Thaivisa) statement never has any empirical evidence to back it up so they really don't have to worry.

What Me Worry?!

I said "they", not "you".

5 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

TATs repeated courting of Middle Eastern & Indian Tourists turns turtle on your statement

Tourists are tourists, where they come from is hardly relevant if they're spending money.

39 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

extremely simplified non sense calculation.

Most expat workers here are in higher positions, CEOs of BMW and co., Samsung etc.

You can say what you want but if westerners leave that will also include all japanese and koreans (Toyota, Samsung etc).

If they all have to leave, then for a damn good reason. That reason would be so bad that all above mentioned companies would be shut, all foreign direct investment would stop and the economy would be majorly skrewed.

That reason  will be the same reason that will stop tourists from coming here.

I think the net effect of the loss of all the expats on Thai GDP would be zilch.  However, there could be local effects.  The value of real estate at the upper end in Bangkok might suffer because prices in the real estate market, like those in the stock market are set at the margins.  So if the number of transactions were to drop because of the absence of foreigners, the prevailing prices would also drop even if the foreigners were not that numerous.

1 hour ago, Roy Baht said:

5% of GDP is a lot of money but there again it’s not earth shattering, it’s only about equal to a GDP increase in a good year so I suspect the country would get by.

I imagine if there was a serious outbreak of Chinese flu and they stop travelling, that 5% may well account for 50%

1 minute ago, digibum said:

Yes, but the slaves don't come on TV and threaten to leave every time immigration makes a change. 

If anything, OP grossly overestimated the number of grumpy old farangs that think Thailand should bend over backwards because they spend 60,000 baht a month here. 

Largely overestimates the number of expat farang; maybe, maybe not ;
but for me his departure post talks about expats;
Now the Burmese, Laotian, Vietnamese, Cambodian etc. who work here are expats who certainly spend a lot less than the old cranky farang but on the other hand they make the economy work;
if they leave suddenly, a good part of this economy will also stop suddenly;
it will be a disaster for Thailand which will have looked for it well;

Thailand LOS = Land Of Slavery :post-4641-1156693976:

2 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

The value of real estate at the upper end in Bangkok might suffer

We see that you do not read the alarming news concerning real estate for sale in Thailand and particularly in Bangkok.
The prices are very much overestimated;
last year, almost 30% of unsold property remained on the promoters' arms.
It's a very big bubble ready to explode ...
With that the pollution and the " I don't care about" from the Thai people will not fix the thing.

There will be a major correction and I fear that the 1997 crisis will be nothing compared to what will happen soon.

• Like 1

Just now, digibum said:

I've been hearing the same "the tourists are going to flee" thing for close to 20 years now. 

Premature senility is creeping in but, did you miss the part where over fifty hotels were for sale in Chiang Mai as december 2018? Yes you can look it up here on TV.  Oh and that is not because they are going broke but because they made so much money they want to share the wealth .... :biggrin: ... don't throw up on your keyboard, that is actually what the Northern Thai hoteliers assoc. said in the news release about this ominous news. Remember that was before the big smoke of hot season 2019. 

Cry about it, I do feel a little bad because of the people that worked in it and now don't have jobs. OTOH I will be snorkeling in the Malukus this hot season. a needed break from all the negativity in the land of smiles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

For that to be the case you have to assume, very optimistically, that the local expats/retirees keep those businesses going!   What about the millions of tourists that are the real supporters of those businesses that you have excluded?

Sure, that´s why I signed some.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, CNXexpat said:

Many expats (like me) don´t support families because they don´t need support. Not all girlfriends/wifes come from poor families.

The bar scene is mostly visited from tourists. The impact of expats they prefer happy hours is small. And in Chiang Mai by example doesn´t exist a bar scene like in Pattaya.

Also Thais like western food and there are also the tourists. What do you think how many western restaurants are in Thailand? And how often the expats visit them? Not every expat every day. 

When you post many expats, you are talking of about 10-20%

No bar scene in Chiang Mai, sure. Forgot your glasses in your home country?

I never said all restaurants serving western food. Just that it will have an impact.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Zo8MCozOjtQJ:https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-22/u-a-e-raises-the-stakes-to-stop-foreigners-from-leaving-dubai+&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=th

the UAE disagrees with OP, they just allowed all foreigners to 100% own companies.

It's a wealthy country and yet they can't get enough of foreigners, has a reason, i would suppose.

“More than the money, the Gulf states are competing for human capital, global businesses and industry leaders,” said M.R. Raghu, the head of research at Kuwait Financial Centre SAK, which manages more than $3 billion. “We expect other Gulf economies to introduce such measures in a phased manner.”

Under the new U.A.E. rules, which take effect by year-end, non-Emiratis can control 100 percent of a company anywhere in the country, forgoing the requirement to have a local partner outside of free zones. Professionals working in medical, scientific, research and technical fields and top students could be eligible for residency permits of up to 10 years.

Disclaimer: Might be biased, but have temp residency there. And parts of my money. Something Thailand never allowed me to do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

How about if we put aside working expats and only focus on those who are here on retirement visas and marriage visas but not working. What would be the impact?

I would say that it would be negligible. In my ex-gf's village, there is only one other farang but the locals have zero respect as he is a known drunk. His contribution to the society is effectively zero as his wife and daughters both work in the next big city. In fact, they support his drinking habits.

In my gf's village, there are no farangs and no one from that village is known to be with any farangs. My personal contribution is limited to the occasional meals whenever I'm there and a small handout every now and again. So the only person that really 'benefits' from me is my gf. She had a job before she met me, she will be able to secure a job if needed, when I'm no longer around.

Too many retirees overestimate their value to Thailand.

No.

You can't pick.

You are either foreigner friendly or foreigner unfriendly. 

• Like 1

Income tax would take a big hit from the number of expats earning decent salaries. 

As an example, the international school where I work in central Bangkok has around 100 expat teachers. I would guess that the average monthly tax paid by each teacher is approx 15,000THB. That is 1.5M a month income tax generated by just one international school in Bangkok. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Premature senility is creeping in but, did you miss the part where over fifty hotels were for sale in Chiang Mai as december 2018? Yes you can look it up here on TV.  Oh and that is not because they are going broke but because they made so much money they want to share the wealth .... :biggrin: ... don't throw up on your keyboard, that is actually what the Northern Thai hoteliers assoc. said in the news release about this ominous news. Remember that was before the big smoke of hot season 2019. 

Cry about it, I do feel a little bad because of the people that worked in it and now don't have jobs. OTOH I will be snorkeling in the Malukus this hot season. a needed break from all the negativity in the land of smiles.

In all fairness those 50 hotels were all opened in the last five years in anticipation of the Chinese invasion, many are not even true hotels.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Income tax would take a big hit from the number of expats earning decent salaries. 

As an example, the international school where I work in central Bangkok has around 100 expat teachers. I would guess that the average monthly tax paid by each teacher is approx 15,000THB. That is 1.5M a month income tax generated by just one international school in Bangkok. 

Against government revenues of nearly 4 trillion baht, yep, that 1.5 mill. baht farang teacher tax would be a serious loss!

Thailand's Government Revenue is forecasted to be 3,720.639 THB bn in Sep 2020 as reported by International Monetary Fund - World Economic Outlook. It records an increase from the last reported number of 3,593.864 THB bn in Sep 2019.

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/thailand/forecast-government-revenue

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Traubert said:

Truth a little painful eh?

What did these people do before Hank rode into town? They survived then, and they'll survive without him. The tourists will keep the bar scene going, the expats don't if they're all tucked up in Isaan, tourists  will keep the catering trade going too. You're confusing expats with tourists.

Just to underline the high estimates the op used, he used 200k. The number is really 150k including 79k retirees. This in a population of 63m is insignificant in it's own right.

What truth? Yours?

Whenever did I post that they will not survive? When did I post that the bar scene will die? That you want to take things to the edge, that´s entirely your problem. The only confusion here is that you do not understand what you read, and quote what you thought you read. I posted that they will definitely feel the differens. 

Last you are talking the numbers again. The numbers are only important to the government. Not to the single families and the single individuals affected.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Haha 1