Chiang Mai: "Smog crisis? What smog crisis? No one told me" - arrests for setting fires

webfact

1 hour ago, 30la said:

The same thing happened also last year, but after the first arrest everything stopped, the police received his positive publicity and ... all actors without script ... they don't know what to do yet .. .
A small suggestion to the government, pay the waste collection for all the needy, many fires will not light up anymore ...

I have read many threads amd many posts on the subject. Perhaps there were others that I did not see. but you are the first post I see with  the only viable solution.

They ask people not to burn, but they dont give them a viable alternative solution. Pick up the garbage and people would not burn it. Give them an alternative solution to sugar cane clearing and they will not burn it.

Approximately 400,000 acres of sugarcane are harvested in Florida annually (my home state) I never saw a fire.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I have read many threads amd many posts on the subject. Perhaps there were others that I did not see. but you are the first post I see with  the only viable solution.

They ask people not to burn, but they dont give them a viable alternative solution. Pick up the garbage and people would not burn it. Give them an alternative solution to sugar cane clearing and they will not burn it.

Approximately 400,000 acres of sugarcane are harvested in Florida annually (my home state) I never saw a fire.

Have you been to Specsavers lately?

https://foodtank.com/news/2019/11/big-sugar-in-florida-faces-lawsuit-for-sugar-field-burning/

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mrfill said:

I stand corrected.

I Have lived in Florida for over 20 years and I have never seen any smoke even though Florida has a large sugar cane industry. It seems that it is only because of where I live and that some areas have similar problems as Thailand. 

Thank you for pointing it out.

Further reading suggests that "Green harvesting" is a solution practiced in many Sugar producing countries such as Brazil . Perhaps that might be a solution for Thailand and similarly Florida also. . 

• Like 1

Yes,this dude should be arrested for blatant stupid-ness.....burning 'green' IS stupid!

I pile my off cut into a destinated fire pit,let it dry out for a week or more and then poof,up in flames in a few minutes with very little smoke.The majority of our waste is composited.

From my observation there is SO much burning that is just plain unnecessary on the small scale.

Even on the larger scale there are solutions,but these take a few extra steps to implement of which 'lazy-ness' will simply resist.

However, this unusual show of enforcement is encouraging that just maybe a quantum leap in social engineering is underway......hahahaha.....

On 1/23/2020 at 7:23 AM, HaleySabai said:

Yes,this dude should be arrested for blatant stupid-ness.....burning 'green' IS stupid!

I pile my off cut into a destinated fire pit,let it dry out for a week or more and then poof,up in flames in a few minutes with very little smoke.The majority of our waste is composited.

From my observation there is SO much burning that is just plain unnecessary on the small scale.

Even on the larger scale there are solutions,but these take a few extra steps to implement of which 'lazy-ness' will simply resist.

However, this unusual show of enforcement is encouraging that just maybe a quantum leap in social engineering is underway......hahahaha.....

IMO it is not laziness or stupid, it is simply economics.  If a better way was made available to them and they did not take it, then it would be stupid. The government should subsidise mechanization.

from what I read Brazil and Australia  had a similar problem,Thailand should send a fact finding delegation to Brazil and or Australia, see what worked and what did not. no need to reinvent the wheel. 

"For centuries, sugarcane fields around the world have been burned to remove sugarcane straw (the plant’s tops and leaves), drive away snakes and other potentially poisonous animals, and make it easier for workers to cut the cane by hand. However, technological advances and environmental concerns have increased demand for mechanized harvesting because it eliminates the need to burn the field.

"Mechanization already exceeds 95 percent of the harvest in São Paulo, Brazil’s top cane-producing state. It is the only means of harvesting in São Paulo in areas that can be mechanized since 2017, "

https://sugarcane.org/best-pratices/

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

Just now, sirineou said:

MO it is not laziness or stupid, it is simply economics.  If a better way was made available to them and they did not take it, then it would be stupid. The government should subsidise mechanization.

And that is the problem/answer and the reason there will be a smog problem for the foreseeable future. No Government, no Thai government,  is going to pay money to help farmers, nor is anyone else. 

No animals were harmed during the writing of this reply.

46 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

And that is the problem/answer and the reason there will be a smog problem for the foreseeable future. No Government, no Thai government,  is going to pay money to help farmers, nor is anyone else. 

No animals were harmed during the writing of this reply.

I think they will, when it becomes more expensive no to.

Money always follows the path of least resistance. When resistance to the economy from tourism revenue loss becomes more prevalent in the system , them money will look for an alternate path. I think Green harvesting can introduce an alternative path with the additional benefit of a biomass for the possible production of biofuels (ethanol). 

In conjunction with the 2020 E20 initiative

"Thailand to phase out E10 in favor of E20 in early 2020

https://www.biofuelsdigest.com/bdigest/2019/11/12/thailand-to-phase-out-e10-in-favor-of-e20-in-early-2020/

Personally I am confident that Sugar Kane burning will be phased out in the few coming years not because it is the right thing but because it is the economically smart thing.