Video: Wait for it! Thais try to push pick-up off the rails at level crossing as train approaches.....

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Dramatic footage from a level crossing in Nakhon Pathom last night showed a driver get out of his pick-up after he got stuck on the rails.

And all the time while this is going on the "crossing guard is doing what exactly"? 

An why is he not able to contact the train driver via radio/phone they all have communication ability.

I live in Nakhon Pathom this crossing is just up the road from me, every crossing has a guard.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Great awareness reaction by the train driver to a car/pickup straddled across the tracks in front of him. Full speed straight through.

Trains take a VERY long way to stop ! a VERY long way. ... Steel wheels on a steel track, and all of that weight. .... Large cargo ships at sea, and if fully loaded worse, only take more. ... (over an hour, and more then Several miles) ..... And here in Thailand, with crossings just every where all over the country, ... And always crowded with Traffic, It would have been had for him to have seen it in time any way. ....

It happens like this all over the world at times. .... Some times with tragic consequences. Luckily no one was hurt in this one ? but well, I wonder if any one has actually asked the train Driver how he is feeling ???? ... He was probably just about <deleted>ting him self, trying to stop it !!! ... With out killing all of his passengers !!! ....

... They tell me that in Europe at least, ... Train drivers have a 60% chance of killing a suicide Victim in their working career, ... and well that does not include accidents at level crossings, ... and it probably would be worse here in Thailand ... re accidents at crossings .... Including cars and trucks that can not stop, and end up hitting the moving train. ? .... God bless the Train drivers. ... Like the poor Truck and Bus drivers. .... 

Edited by Mark mark
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Great awareness reaction by the train driver to a car/pickup straddled across the tracks in front of him. Full speed straight through.

Those things can't exactly stop on a sixpence.  Even a light passenger train could take over a Km to stop.  He couldn't have seen the pickup in time.

18 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Trains take a VERY long way to stop ! a VERY long way. ... Steel wheels on a steel track, and all of that weight. .... Large cargo ships at sea, and if fully loaded worse, only take more. ... (over an hour, and more then Several miles) ..... And here in Thailand, with crossings just every where all over the country, ... And always crowded with Traffic, It would have been had for him to have seen it in time any way. ....

It happens like this all over the world at times. .... Some times with tragic consequences. Luckily no one was hurt in this one ? but well, I wonder if any one has actually asked the train Driver how he is feeling ???? ... He was probably just about <deleted>ting him self, trying to stop it !!! ... With out killing all of his passengers !!! ....

... They tell me that in Europe at least, ... Train drivers have a 60% chance of killing a suicide Victim in their working career, ... and well that does not include accidents at level crossings, ... and it probably would be worse here in Thailand ... re accidents at crossings .... Including cars and trucks that can not stop, and end up hitting the moving train. ? .... God bless the Train drivers. ... Like the poor Truck and Bus drivers. .... 

Trains are hard to stop. 

Up here we don't have passenger trains, but a bunch of freight, some of which can be a mile long pulled by two loco's. 

You just can't stop a massive amount of mass on a dime, and often here we don't have barriers just lights, but I think we all appreciate the dangers of ignoring them.

All that being said, it didn't appear that the engineer was in any way braking, which is surprising since he must have seen the pickup on the tracks

• Thanks 1

Yes, and the barriers were down, and the crossing lights working. ... and in the dark, all the driver could see probably, was just the cacophony of light, which would have been the same on every crossing that he crossed, probably every few kilometers, for all of his journey, like and all night, ... and the white flashing of the crossing lights, that is directed through lenses out of their sides, down the track, ... so that he can see that they were working ! ... and they were. ...

I would not blame the driver, ... I would give him a check up to make sure then he was not suffering from shock, ... and then give him a quick shot of red whiskey, and tell him, see you tomorrow, ... and better luck for that day.

... I wonder how long they drive for ? Like there would be two in that Loco ... and well, with a long passenger train, it would be heavy, and hard to stop.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Maybe overloaded and broke an axle on the bump over the tracks?

It could have been that. Or he still had it in gear. When they were pushing it looked like it was still in gear, as the body was moving a lot, enough that the wheels should have rolled. But they didn’t budge. 

And well Yearrr Thai driving Rule two, .... (After do not slow any one else down) .... Do not bend Your, or any one else's car ! .... He would have the damage to his Loco to worry about also, and the reporting of it !!!