Another bum bites the dust

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, SteveK said:

BritMan knows what he is talking about, and if they have $5 chicken vindaloo with naan then I think I need to go for a quick getaway. It's about a 6 hour drive for me from here. Not sure how to explain to the wife that I want to go there, though, she shrivels her nose up and the mere mention of Cambodia. Maybe if I tell her it's for a job interview she will approve because she will assume some extra money is coming her way. Sounds like a winner.

India Gate was my usual choice in Siem Reap.

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

O an regarding those disgusting Kiddy Diddlers that's not a scene I'm surely going to inform myself about, all I can say is, the word is among normal people that I know occasion do you talk to, approach, take pictures of, or have anything to do with kids here. supposedly that's the scam, you see a cute kid and you're a single guy and you take a picture and they put the cuffs on you. So basically the bottom line is for normal human beings, watch yourself. And they have fake IDs too. so I guess if I want to go dancing with a beautiful young lady, I'll go down to mix in Bangkok once a month. Plus, since I now have the fanciest condo in town, and my condo girls got no problem with my scheming, if anybody wants a nice condo during high season when I'm out screaming in Bangkok, I'll cut you a deal ????????????????

Out of interest, what is the monthly rent in USD you are paying for the condo in Siem Reap, and what's the length of the lease? Security deposit?

6 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

if Thailand wants me to give them 25,000 US dollars and stand in line every 90 days for the privilege of staying there, that's fine, but give me some clean air in return.

I want Pork Chops and applesauce!

I am not giving them $25k unless they give me Pork chops and Applesauce/

What do you guys want? I think we should make a list. present it to them, and if they dont give as everything we want we should a leave.

I have the Elite visa and had to do my 90 days report yesterday in person - because I missed the 7 days window to do it online (you can do it online 15 days before but not less than 7 days before the due date)

I was in at 8:30am, filled the form with the 4th pen that I had to borrow because none of them had ink and I was out at 8:37am

if I lived in Bangkok and/or Chiang Mai (maybe Pattaya too? couldn't tell you) then I could have gotten the Elite staff to do it for me

not trying to argue with the OP, you gotta do what you gotta do

Ah, Siem Reap. Some memories from there.

I was cycling from the city towards the lake, fell off the bicycle, and hit my head badly. Not much blood but major impact. I know I had to wear a helmet but didn't have one. If I hit my head like that in Oz, there would be people coming and trying to help me, to ask me if I'm ok...not in Siem Reap. People were just passing by and laughing at me. I was telling the story to a retired Aussie who was living in Sihanoukville, and he told me:

"You were lucky. If you lost consciousness, they'll take everything from you, even your thongs and pants"

Now imagine hitting your head badly and trying to do a MRI scan in Siem Reap, and finding someone to interpret it. Or worse, you need head surgery and trying to find a neurosurgeon. Fat chance. The medical services in Cambo are on very low level. We were going around with a friend in Sihanoukville asking pharmacies if they have a typhoid vaccine, a lot of pharmacists didn't know what typhoid is.

Good luck living there, but if I leave Thailand, Siem Reap would be one of the last places to consider. Hot dusty place, no beach or mountain around, and probably the air quality is not good either.

The situation of smog and visa is not any better in Cambodia.

The whole country is filled with smog now just as in central and north Thailand.

Visa for Cambodia you have to leave the country and stamp out and into another country to renew or get a 1 year biz visa for $300+.

I had to pay $40 for a Vietnam stamp + 35 for another month in Cambodia + 14$ for the bus to the border and back. =$90 usd and wasted day.

Interesting post.... especially since I was always under the impression that Nyezhov is loaded, so money is certainly not an issue here.

How's internet? How much do you pay for a pad?

While in Thailand I was always looking for a relationship.... girl love me tru. Bangkok has a nice variety of educated middle class women who are ready and willing. Own things so I don't have to pay for stuff. How's Cambo in this regard?

Everyone knows by now that it's so much better in Cambodia and Vietnam......couldn't miss that since the same posters are posting that on the Thai forum for more than 6 months now........while the Cambodia and Vietnam forum remain without posts.

Sure I must be missing something

11 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

The situation of smog and visa is not any better in Cambodia.

The whole country is filled with smog now just as in central and north Thailand.

SR is for me a top 3 choice for escaping Thailand, but I'd never checked SR AQI before. Just did. It's not good. Two sources: Air Visual 180 (!!!) and Air-Quality says 152. Must be all the crop burning in northern Thailand and Cambodia. I don't know how accurate the AQIs are, but there you go. 

7 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

OP, you said that you want clean air but is it any better over there?

As per post no 40; no beach, no mountains, ehh no thanks, I want minimum one of them. 

The bottom line is this dude I can breathe. And pay them three hundred bucks and never have to deal with it. You guys can argue all you want about which is better, Thailand orCambodia, but for my personal needs at this point in time in my life, Cambodia suits me as base better. YMMV. I hope nobody is jealous of the fact that I can come and go in and out of Thailand all winter long as I please. I might emphasized winter, because once April comes, I will be gone to the USA until it's time to winter up again.

18 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

OP, you said that you want clean air but is it any better over there?

As per post no 40; no beach, no mountains, ehh no thanks, I want minimum one of them. 

Air in Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Saigon last year was far better than in Chiang Mai and Bangkok

Strange because I assumed they would all be the same, but it wasn't so.

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

The bottom line is this dude I can breathe. And pay them three hundred bucks and never have to deal with it. You guys can argue all you want about which is better, Thailand orCambodia, but for my personal needs at this point in time in my life, Cambodia suits me as base better. YMMV. I hope nobody is jealous of the fact that I can come and go in and out of Thailand all winter long as I please. I might emphasized winter, because once April comes, I will be gone to the USA until it's time to winter up again.

With all the petty, xenophobic annoyances in Thailand I'm not surprised you moved. Good for you.

One question I have though - if you go into a store in Cambodia and ask for a specific item, do they instantly say that they don't have it even though they do? Or is that a Thai speciality?

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It was better than Chiang Mai and Bangkok last year, as was Phnom Penh and Saigon.

Strange because I assumed they would all be the same, but it wasn't so.

Yeah, Saigon is not so bad, not nearly as bad as Bangkok is on a daily basis. I know because I check many AQIs every day and I'm stuck here in the Bangkok soup. Off to Vietnam this weekend for a break. 

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

With all the petty, xenophobic annoyances in Thailand I'm not surprised you moved. Good for you.

I don't even know if I consider it a move, just rather a split with an emphasis on Cambodia. Like I said I can put up with anything as long as I have fun, but if two months plus of the year is going to be so <deleted>y I can't even go outside, then what's the point. I'll go rent a place in Bangkok for the month of November or December for three hundred bucks a month, have a great old time before the weather gets bad, rent my place out in siem and live even larger than I do now. It's great to be me. I'm at the first sniff of air pollution, I'm right back cruising among the apsaras in my basically private pool. At least to the extent that I'm the only person I've seen that for the past 4 days.

7 minutes ago, Pravda said:

While in Thailand I was always looking for a relationship.... girl love me tru. Bangkok has a nice variety of educated middle class women who are ready and willing. Own things so I don't have to pay for stuff. How's Cambo in this regard?

There is not much education in Cambo, a significant percentage are illiterate. A friend had an illiterate BG as a girlfriend, she couldn't read and write, and didn't know the earth is round.

Also you would find probably the most corrupt police force there, the Thai policemen are like angels compared to them.

If you are in adventures, try going with a boat upper Mekong, they still have pirates there...and avoid wandering around in the jungle, as there are mines here and there.

Good country for some adrenaline holiday, but if I choose to live there it would be Kampot or PP. Sihanoukville was not that bad either before the Chinese took it over.

7 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I don't even know if I consider it a move, just rather a split with an emphasis on Cambodia. Like I said I can put up with anything as long as I have fun, but if two months plus of the year is going to be so <deleted>y I can't even go outside, then what's the point. I'll go rent a place in Bangkok for the month of November or December for three hundred bucks a month, have a great old time before the weather gets bad, rent my place out in siem and live even larger than I do now. It's great to be me. I'm at the first sniff of air pollution, I'm right back cruising among the apsaras in my basically private pool. At least to the extent that I'm the only person I've seen that for the past 4 days.

how about the more mundane things like opening a bank account and hiring or buying a motorbike?

10 minutes ago, SteveK said:

One question I have though - if you go into a store in Cambodia and ask for a specific item, do they instantly say that they don't have it even though they do? Or is that a Thai speciality?

In my experience the Cambodians have done better at learning the concept of service. 

When you have $100 a month waitress who can speak 5 languages (and looks drop dead gorgeous) it puts her Thai counterparts to shame.

A

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

how about the more mundane things like opening a bank account and hiring or buying a motorbike?

Basically take your wallet and your passport out of your pocket. Pay sign done. one of the banks here is partially owned by the Bank of Canada and I will use them

19 minutes ago, SteveK said:

It's much better now. That's a long time ago. Cambodia does have some beaches and islands.

Physically yes, but none I'd bother with.

Dunno...I kinda miss the entirely sketchy nature of the place. It was an adventure. Now it's a traffic jam and lots of air pollution.

12 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Maybe, but Cambodian policemen are after $2, not 10000 baht.

You would think so...true for traffic offences maybe. But the coupling of the police with the prostitutes and the drug dealers is much stronger there, and there were quite a few set up and extortion cases.

I myself was stopped by the traffic police and never ever my bags were searched so thoroughly. One may get angry initially, but becomes hilarious in the end. You can drive a rented motorbike there without rego plates.

Archived