Pattaya: Foreigner in pick-up collides with Thai lady on a motorcycle

webfact

1 minute ago, Prairieboy said:

7:40 PM - dark - did the motorcycle have lights on?  I see so many driving without lights.

I am not blaming the lady in this case but I must admit many middle aged and older ladies seem to ride around ignoring rules and blithely unaware.... so many riding on the wrong side of the road. This was late so the 6 or 7 year old who normally does the driving was in bed already. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

the Police in Pattaya act completely differently from the Police elsewhere. 

They don't - they are as completely corrupt as other counties in Thailand yet Chonburi has the 2nd worst road casualties; this is because the traffic police merely stick to 'fining' slow moving vehicles at 'check-points' for minor paper misdemeanours.  The police do nothing about red-light runners or speedsters; seriously dangerous crimes.

They do definitely target farangs.  I am stopped 50% of my journeys through the bandit stick-up point at the Ambassador.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mikebell said:

They do definitely target farangs.  I am stopped 50% of my journeys through the bandit stick-up point at the Ambassador.

Its not only in Pattaya, even here.

2 years ago I got stopped somewhere around Tha Yang (halfway between Hua Hin and Mueang Phetchaburi) for a pee test on the side of the road

there was a road block type situation, they weren't stopping everyone (easy to tell) but as soon as they saw I wasn't Thai they started shouting "FARANG! FARANG!!" while pointing at me

only problem is, I peed before I left (like i always do before riding) and it's a 10 minutes drive from home. try explaining that to them. (didn't work)

had to go on the side of the highway next to some kind of concrete wall/structure with a bunch Thai males there and after a few minutes was able to pee a little bit (they were watching me like a hawk too)

I learned later that those stops were technically illegal but.. you know how it is.

On 1/23/2020 at 1:45 PM, jacko45k said:

Strange, step outside and watch them flagging down people on motorbikes on Beach Road for various checks and one would get a different impression. When I was last in the police Station I thought the number of foreigners paying fines was disproportionate too.  The policeman who flagged me down let a Thai in front of me go as he wailed and cried how he had no money... didn't ask me though!

Marvellous how they've got money to buy motocyc and put fuel in it at every gas station but no money to pay fines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 1/23/2020 at 11:04 PM, kekalot said:

I'll keep this story as short as possible but this happened to me

was coming back from Mueang Phetchaburi on my big bike with the girlfriend, traffic was moving slow.. about 3-4km from Cha-am there was lady driving quite slower than the average.. so i slowed down behind her.. watched to see what was going on .. nothing

at this point we are both straight in the middle of the leftmost lane out of 3 (slow lane) and there is nothing on the left side. so after 3-4 seconds I go to pass her on the left (shoulder?) and she suddenly turns left (without signal lights, without braking AND from the middle of the lane) and hits my front wheel, I go flying with my gf (we both have helmets)

lady had no license, no helmet, no insurance, didn't use signal light and/or brake AT ALL (or they were defective).

should not have been there to begin with - especially not on a highway like Phetkasem road.

they made me sign some paperwork in Thai that I assume was to say that it was my fault and that I agreed to pay (under some pressure and separated from gf). took kept my big bike as hostage until I paid

long story short, they said it was my fault. "If you weren't there no accident" was told to my girlfriend who was being quiet but furious because they wouldn't listen to her telling them the same story.

I had to pay 5000 baht to her cause she "couldn't work", I had to pay 6000 baht to fix her bike (probably half the price her bike was worth lol) AND had to pay to fix mine (14,000 I believe)

I learned a lesson from this but you know exactly what the woman that hit me learned about this.. absolutely nothing, she thinks she was in the right and got paid for it.

good for her.

So why do you still live there?

11 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

So why do you still live there?

We all live here because we like the place, and accept the risks associated as being seen as rich, and a foreigner, and having no rights, in a very corrupt country. 

The above could happen to any of us, unless you have the phone number of "Big Boss Police" who is your Thai neighbor's, sister's, friend's, cousin's neighbor's, brother's, boss. Then. you should be ok.  ????  

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

We all live here because we like the place, and accept the risks associated as being seen as rich, and a foreigner, and having no rights, in a very corrupt country. 

The above could happen to any of us, unless you have the phone number of "Big Boss Police" who is your Thai neighbor's, sister's, friend's, cousin's neighbor's, brother's, boss. Then. you should be ok.  ????  

Wrong emoji

4 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Wrong emoji

No.  I got the right emoji.

Did you get the right theme of my post? 

Thailand is full of, "It won't happen to me."  I include myself in that as well.  We are all targets.   Risk management is important here.

Edited by Leaver

4 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Yes but never mind I am not a person who likes to argue

Either am I.  I just accept factual case of extortion against foreigners for doing no wrong, but that has nothing to do with why we continue to live here. 

We all take that risk that it could happen to us one day, and you have to plan for it. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 5:11 AM, CNXexpat said:

So let´s wait. I am wondering what´s the interesting news of this article. That a foreigner is involved? 

I'm late to this thread, my apologies.

I note that the original article is credited to Naew Na. I have read before that they appear to have become the 'mouthpiece' for Thai Immigration. Most of the articles we read, often credited to Naew Na, which involve Thai Immigration also seem to involve 'foreigners' of whatever ethnic origin, perhaps being caught for something by the use of an expensive 'biometric' system or a less expensive Smart Car which I understand is a BMW with a laptop inside. Whether the laptop is fitted or just plugged into one of the 12v outlets I have no idea.

Every day in Thailand many people are killed on the roads. Many more people suffer life changing injury and even more people are involved in road traffic incidents ( in UK I think that is the current term rather than road traffic accidents), but I'm happy to be corrected on that.

So...why is this incident being reported at all. Is it the only road traffic incident involving a foreigner today or this week?

Who are Naew Na? Who are their journalists? Where are they based? Why do they think this is worth reporting over the number of fatal accidents which occurred on the same day?

I can't spend too much time on this....if there's anything needed to 'deep dive' I don't have the skills....a google search is about my limit...but even that turned up this

http://www.newsepapers.com/thailand/naew-na/

So why is/ are the owner(s) not known? What is their financial backing?

Anti Thaksin? Who's that? doesn't sound like a falang. Opposing his policies and government actions? Uncle Tu is in charge, so what's to oppose with Thaksin's policies and government actions, he's gone.

Are there no investigative journos outside Thailand perhaps but with contacts inside the Kingdom?

I've just been 'invited' to bed...I have to go...up early for dancing round the temple 3 times tomorrow morning.

On 1/23/2020 at 2:58 PM, richard_smith237 said:

They extort with equal indifference from foreigners and Thai’s !!!

I’ve had accidents here in Thailand, its not a case of ‘foreigner is always wrong’... the Police will try to take the path of least resistance for an easier life, in almost every incident involving a car and bike the BiB will automatically try and blame the car driver (just because they are more likely to be able to afford repairs), if the foreigner is a wimp and going to fold at the first suggestion of blame then the BiB will happily let him take the fall.

Politely standing your ground works perfectly well in ‘most’ cases (there will always be an exception). 

dual standards comes to mind.....

On 1/23/2020 at 1:48 PM, talahtnut said:

You've probably seen my Mrssis in there, she a regular.

get her to pay by direct debit if she is so bad at driving....better still do not allow her on the road.....

Yesterday woman driver went straight thru red light while I WAS STOPPED waiting for it to go green.....

Driven by a Foreigner? What a pathetic article. Shame on the disgusting little worthless person who wrote this and decided the headline, and the scummy rag that printed it. Hope the woman recovers soon.

Edited by WalkingOrders
Inst. The

On 1/26/2020 at 8:57 AM, tinca tinca said:
On 1/23/2020 at 2:58 PM, richard_smith237 said:

They extort with equal indifference from foreigners and Thai’s !!!

I’ve had accidents here in Thailand, its not a case of ‘foreigner is always wrong’... the Police will try to take the path of least resistance for an easier life, in almost every incident involving a car and bike the BiB will automatically try and blame the car driver (just because they are more likely to be able to afford repairs), if the foreigner is a wimp and going to fold at the first suggestion of blame then the BiB will happily let him take the fall.

Politely standing your ground works perfectly well in ‘most’ cases (there will always be an exception). 

dual standards comes to mind.....

Not really, the standard is the same and fairly consistent... the BiB just want the situation to be resolved in the quickest and easiest manner so they have to do the least amount of work. 

It just seems that in Pattaya there are more foreigners who will easily fold and submit to the Police just to get on their way as quickly as possible. 

On 1/23/2020 at 10:04 PM, kekalot said:

at this point we are both straight in the middle of the leftmost lane out of 3 (slow lane) and there is nothing on the left side. so after 3-4 seconds I go to pass her on the left (shoulder?) and she suddenly turns left (without signal lights, without braking AND from the middle of the lane) and hits my front wheel, I go flying with my gf (we both have helmets)

Well, you could have simply refused to pay. Then it is forced to go to court. The vehicle changing direction is in the wrong (even though you were driving on the shoulder.) The most they could legally do is impose a small fine for riding on the shoulder.

Edited by judokrab

On 1/23/2020 at 12:58 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I therefore suspect the Police in Pattaya act completely differently from the Police elsewhere. 

That would appear to be the situation? where I live there are not many foreigners, Police have never stopped me! but they do "victimise" Thai people by stopping them!

Reverse racism at work? sure the poor persecuted "Farang" will be able to come up with an appropriate reasoning! ???? 

Edited by CGW

On 1/23/2020 at 12:58 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I therefore suspect the Police in Pattaya act completely differently from the Police elsewhere. 

They have to recoup their outlays. 

Well known that the grownups have to pay significantly for their positions in Pat's.

On 1/23/2020 at 5:15 AM, Scot123 said:

Lol, I just shack my head everytime I read these posts in denial about discrimination by the police or Thai's in general. I wast stopped speeding on one of my motor bikes "radar gun" I sat at the desk as Thai's were being fined 200baht, I was fined 500baht and I asked why, "You Farang" I laughed and sped away. I had a really blind drunk Thai reverse into the side of my stopped car. I called the police. Yep nothing done about him being drunk and thank god I had a dash cam. Until I showed the video the police were very aggressive towards me. Never ever drive without a dash cam in Thailand actually still use it in the UK. 

Dittos to that. Dash cam and insurance guys phone number. First accident in 4 years, called the insurance company first and their instructions; pull the sd card from your dash cam and wait for us. 

5 minutes ago, Morty T said:

Dittos to that. Dash cam and insurance guys phone number. First accident in 4 years, called the insurance company first and their instructions; pull the sd card from your dash cam and wait for us. 

Yeah it really is a non event if one is driving legal and sober... just sit back and wait for the insurance man to arrive.