Govt to enforce 12 air pollution reduction measures

webfact

Govt to enforce 12 air pollution reduction measures

f581c905a6da49bfdcafee931ca97244.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The government will be enforcing 12 measures addressing the air pollution crisis. The Prime Minister said the government has not been negligent over the issue, however the solution to this problem must be done step-by-step and receive cooperation from all sectors.

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has revealed the government’s plans to address air pollution will cover short-term actions and long-term solutions, tailored to the conditions in each area. These measures will be enforced based on the severity of air pollution at the time, starting with general measures for when PM 2.5 airborne dust is measured below 50 micrograms per cubic meter.

Special measures and regulations will be enforced by provincial governors once the dust level is measured from 51 to 75 micrograms per cubic meter. Whenever the dust level reaches 76 to 100 micrograms per cubic meter, traffic restrictions will be imposed to reduce exhaust emissions. Drastic measures, such as the ban on all private vehicles, or only for those older than 10 years, may be enforced should the dust level exceed 100 micrograms per cubic meter.

The Cabinet, in its mobile meeting, has agreed in principle to 12 air pollution reduction measures. These will be further discussed in a meeting chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan. The 12 measures consist of

1. The extension of lorry-free zones in Bangkok, from Ratchadaphisek ring road to the outer Kanchanapisek ring road.

2. The ban on all lorries from entering central Bangkok on odd-numbered days in January and February this year.

3. Exhaust checks on all non-scheduled passenger vehicles, by increasing inspection units to 50, serving 50 districts of Bangkok.

4. Exhaust checks on all passenger and cargo vehicles to prohibit those emitting excessive pollution.

5. The inspection of factories and the issuance of maintenance orders or prohibitions at factories emitting excessive pollution.

6. Regulation of metro line construction sites, as well as other projects, to ensure compliance with pollution control regulations and proper traffic management.

7. The ban on outdoor burning in Bangkok and neighbouring provinces, as well as penalties for violators.

8. The authorization of provincial offices and local administration to regulate outdoor burning, vehicles, factories and construction sites during the polluted period.

9. The discount for fuel products containing less than 10 ppm sulphur, which emit fewer airborne particles after combustion.

10. Campaigns discouraging the use of private vehicles, and mandatory black smoke inspection for all vehicles owned by government employees.

11. Campaigns encouraging engine oil changes for diesel engines older than 5 years to help reduce particle emissions.

12. Campaigns raising public awareness and understanding of the air pollution issue.

nnt.jpg
  • Like 1

5. The inspection of factories and the issuance of maintenance orders or prohibitions at factories emitting excessive pollution

I wonder where they will get dozens of qualified technicians from to do this? Or will it be someone driving by a factory to see if it is emitting black smoke?

2 minutes ago, Maverell said:

5. The inspection of factories and the issuance of maintenance orders or prohibitions at factories emitting excessive pollution

I wonder where they will get dozens of qualified technicians from to do this? Or will it be someone driving by a factory to see if it is emitting black smoke?

They might be able to send someone to do the latter - and subsequently ignore it. Not unlike agricultural burning and black smoke belching busses, lorries and pick-ups are being ignored.

• Like 2

Quite simply, stop the burning and fine, ban or crush Somchais vehicles that are chugging out black smoke....its not hard to see and even less harder to enforce. Even new pick ups have the cat taken off and are bellowing out black fumes...and let's not start on the

Hino building trucks or moving karaoke buses

• Like 2

Enforce being the operative word,    Police enforce 555.  It has never worked with any kind of law enforcement since the army came to power. They will not work for the army. The history of this goes back to before the Vietnam war when the two factions both flexing their muscles & at odds. Over money of course

1 hour ago, unamazedloso said:

7. The ban on outdoor burning in Bangkok and neighbouring provinces, as well as penalties for violators.

Um, if pm2.5 is of what measure and is it the measure in bangkok or measures in other provinces. In Kanchanaburi its 150-250 most mornings and gets down to 110 every couple of days. Yet pwople are burning all night of farm land, forestry land and public land. My wifes dobbed in people and burns and nothing!!

Can she dob in a few more please??You could hardly see down the road the other day. Have not seen the hills for 2 weeks!!

In all years im here, this is the first time i see something nice laid out. But...... then ofcourse we all know this will end in 1 week and so it continues. In this country its a big circle and it just goes around and around. Same promises and same results.....

If I might ask a stupid question.

I don't live full time in Thailand. We have build a comfortable home in Khon kaen and me and the wife come there every year for a couple of months or so. Now that I am retiring we spend more time and would like to move there full time.  I have being coming to Thailand for thirteen years now, and I never noticed to be so bad. What has changed now??Is it that I happen not to come during burning season, or is there something different now?

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

If I might ask a stupid question.

I don't live full time in Thailand. We have build a comfortable home in Khon kaen and me and the wife come there every year for a couple of months or so. Now that I am retiring we spend more time and would like to move there full time.  I have being coming to Thailand for thirteen years now, and I never noticed to be so bad. What has changed now??Is it that I happen not to come during burning season, or is there something different now?

Particularly bad this year because of the drought imo although the last few years have been the worst I've ever known.

I think there has been more growing of sugarcane in recent years and there are definitely far more vehicles on the roads.

Unfortunately can't see things improving anytime soon.

• Like 2