Govt to enforce 12 air pollution reduction measures

webfact

Well, apparently assigning the Air Force the task of solving the air pollution problem did not resonate quite enough with the public.  (AIR Force solving the AIR pollution problem, not the winner formula, I guess. Fun while it lasted.)  You're off the hook, Navy!  Perhaps the celebrities made a difference with their bad publicity and the government actually had to go back to the drawing board and come up with these 12 proposals--not too hard as they seem to just be restated proposals drawn from the many proposals of the past.  They all seem very weak--but weak or strong doesn't really matter as there will be no meaningful enforcement.  Yet another document to be filed in the 'Look, We're Doing Something' drawer to be hauled out and recycled with next year's pollution season.  Season???  Seems mostly year-round to me.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Particularly bad this year because of the drought imo although the last few years have been the worst I've ever known.

I think there has been more growing of sugarcane in recent years and there are definitely far more vehicles on the roads.

Unfortunately can't see things improving anytime soon.

I agree that there are more vehicles than ever now, and I am sure they are contributing, especially in large metropolitan areas,  but the problem, at least in my area, only exists for a couple of months , and the cars are year round. so what gives? has increased so significantly?  Is there a study to determine what has changed? 

IMO before a problem can be rectified, contributing factors need to be identifies in order of magnitude, so that a targeted solution can be formulated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

4. Exhaust checks on all passenger and cargo vehicles to prohibit those emitting excessive pollution.

I suspect this will be done during the morning and evening rush hours!  I can see the long lines of stalled vehicles generating more pollution while waiting to be checked.  I am sure there will also be fines on the spot!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

7. The ban on outdoor burning in Bangkok and neighbouring provinces, as well as penalties for violators.

Um, if pm2.5 is of what measure and is it the measure in bangkok or measures in other provinces. In Kanchanaburi its 150-250 most mornings and gets down to 110 every couple of days. Yet pwople are burning all night of farm land, forestry land and public land. My wifes dobbed in people and burns and nothing!!

looked it up but Kanchanaburi is not in Bangkok, 

what country is that in ?

I agree with what most posters have said,

Though all the other measures might help to a degree, and now that everyone is concerned, might be a easier to implement. If Sugar cane burning is not made a national emergency, stopped, and  strictly enforce it, very litle will change.

I'm beginning to realise just how versatile sugar cane is. You can poison a the population just before harvesting by burning, then poison them again when you process it into biofuel and burn it or cause a massive diabetes problem by refining it and putting vast amounts in food and drink.

A scientific marvel....

• Haha 2

1. The extension of lorry-free zones in Bangkok, from Ratchadaphisek ring road to the outer Kanchanapisek ring road.

2. The ban on all lorries from entering central Bangkok on odd-numbered days in January and February this year.

Thailand seems a bit confused if they should use British English or American English as everything is mixed up. Just like men who are confused if they were born a men or a woman *cough ladyboys*.

Lorry/Lorries - British English.

Mall - American English.

Centre - British English.

Center - American English.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

These measures will be enforced based on the severity of air pollution at the time,

Why "at the time"? Why not all the time? Why not be proactive 24/7/365?

Why wait until the train crashes to fix the tracks?

Why not look forward beyond just today?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neeray said:

Why "at the time"? Why not all the time? Why not be proactive 24/7/365?

Why wait until the train crashes to fix the tracks?

Why not look forward beyond just today?

I was thinking about that topic lately...

And my best sense seems to be... that for the approx. 3 month BKK smog season each year....

--the government spend the first month doing nothing at all.

--the second month talking about plans for proposals in response to mounting public pressure.

--then the third month pretending that they're preparing to actually do something...

--and then ultimately dropping the charade of action thereafter as Feb or March has come, the smog levels typically have dropped, and they go back to ignoring the issue until the whole cycle repeats itself the next year, and thereafter.