Thailand tourism tumbles under blanket of smog, fat baht

webfact

I been going to Thailand since 2004.  Been to several cities and provinces, Khorat, Sukhothai, Phuket, etc.  Never made it up to Chiang Mai.  It was always recommended to go, I just never got around to it.  Is the smog and smoke really that bad such that a week or two week visit would be miserable?  When was it more tolerable?

6 hours ago, Beggar said:

"It’s been report that the Malaysian government has already waived visas for Chinese and Indian tourists. If that’s true, Thailand will lose an enormous amount of income because the Chinese are our main customers.”

"If that's true"

Is it so hard to find this out?

Yes for the president of the Thai travel association that's very hard to find out....Then you have to sapee inlit and read newspapers and so which is just not worth the effort....

And nope thailand will not loose any chinese customers because of that virus from Wuhan...no way! They are always welcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be fair, when you go for "good guys in, bad guys out" after decades of catering to the bad guys, there's going to be a reckoning.

Still,  I think that in the long term, for every cheap drunk and monger they lose, they'll eventually get a family with a much fatter holiday budget.  But it will take time, and there will be some pain.  

Of course, they may get the worst of both worlds if they don't manage it right...  Just cheap mongers, and fewer of them at that.  I hope they focus on improving the resource and not just getting the numbers up.

• Like 1