Thailand tourism tumbles under blanket of smog, fat baht

webfact

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Vichit would like to see the government give stronger support to the Tourism Authority of Thailand on marketing and entrepreneurs develop new goods and services that are reasonably priced.

I can not see how that could make tourists feel safer or  how that could lower the Baht.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, simtemple said:

How do you think Thailand would cope with a full blown Coronavirus epidemic? You want to holiday in a place where you'll have to step over the dead? 

Already did that in Mexico once.

• Like 2

Thai tourism is a joke, but someone has to earn the big money,as we know wrong figures are so easy to find, but in the end the truth will prevail and heads will roll, the Baht sitting on its bubble is going to have an effect when it drops, next year according to the bank, until then it is going to keep going up OMG

• Sad 1

Quote:-

"Vichit doesn’t believe the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China, will hamper Thai tourism during this weekend’s Lunar New Year festivities"

Does he (and TAT) not realize flights are now banned to/from Wuhan and other Chinese cities? China itself is entering a "lock down" situation prior to the New Year to stop the spread of the virus. Will any Chinese be able to visit Thailand??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe just too many complacement know alls been in the same job too long and don't want to lose face, its much better to let the country go to rack and ruin of course. The reality is that TRhai tourism is now dead, the heydays are never coming back. Vietnam Cambodia, Laos, and Malaysia, all blow Thailand out of the water in all aspects now at 30 to 50% of the price. The way it was is NEVER coming back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Nowadays people don't go to a travel agent, they look online, read others reviews and decide where to go

An example of what goes around can be found here:

https://www.inafarawayland.com/2014/11/13/7-reasons-why-we-won-t-be-returning-to-thailand/

This description of quality tourists was amusing

On Koh Phi Phi, one of the many islands in the south, famous for snorkelling and diving, we went for a walk along the beach at night. I still haven’t decided how I feel about what I saw, which makes it incredibly hard to write about. We witnessed, in no particular order, a girl getting fingered, a guy getting a <deleted> and a young male lying trousers down on the sand furiously masturbating. Countless drug dealers, countless prostitutes, a woman so intoxicated she was talking to her flip flops whilst performing, what looked like to me, an African rain dance. Too many passed out tourists in tattoo parlours and far too many people, both men and women, publicly urinating. The whole place stunk of <deleted> and reeked of shame and what’s even more alarmingly, no one looked as if they were having a good time (apart from African rain dance woman, she was loving life). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Beggar said:

"It’s been report that the Malaysian government has already waived visas for Chinese and Indian tourists. If that’s true, Thailand will lose an enormous amount of income because the Chinese are our main customers.”

"If that's true"

Is it so hard to find this out?

Apparently, the Chinese have isolated the area from where the flew is supposed to be coming from ,quarantined a whole city. 

However there has been a small outbreak here in LOS,

This could spiral out of control as cases are reported in the USA as well.

Their are thousand of Chinese pouring in at the moment going all over LOS.

An outbreak is very plausable.

An outbreak from Malaysia would travel up from the south through LOS.

Waiving visas will encourage this.

The high BHT is not helping the country only helping money launderers cash in.

Exports are in trouble, tourism is down and the country is in for a major correction, when that happens look out, financial forecasters are saying we are heading for a bigger event than what happened in The USA.

Turn your cash to gold before it is to late.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DLock said:

Is it just me that wants to see a complete capitulation of the tourism market?

Maybe it's schadenfreude, maybe it's just the years of incompetence and lying and taking tourists and ex-pats for granted in the chase for the Almighty dollar that wants me to see them enjoy some challenges and pain for a few years...

Bird in the hand Cha Cha...bird the hand...

I've been wishing for this for years. Aside from the bad effect it would have on a few friends in the tourism industry, in general, it would be well deserved. In 1987 when I first came here there were 3 million tourist arrivals, now over 40 million. They've kind of ruined the place in many ways.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DLock said:

Is it just me that wants to see a complete capitulation of the tourism market?

Maybe it's schadenfreude, maybe it's just the years of incompetence and lying and taking tourists and ex-pats for granted in the chase for the Almighty dollar that wants me to see them enjoy some challenges and pain for a few years...

Bird in the hand Cha Cha...bird the hand...

Seems like it. They already let rough immigration officers at BKK and DMK stop legitimate tourist visa holders from entering the country and spending money in Thailand.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Apparently, the Chinese have isolated the area from where the flew is supposed to be coming from ,quarantined a whole city. 

They put it in a glass bell?

No, of course, so the virus is free like air;
air which also moves freely;
they quarantined wild animals too?

All this is smoke 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, madmitch said:

Most hotels realise that we are in the year 2020 and not 1999.

I wonder if the ATTA members still use fax?

It made me think back to a several years ago when i was thinking of going back to India for a trip, i checked out the cheapest scruffiest place i stayed in Delhi on the net, good old 'RINGOS' i could not believe it was bookable online.

36 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

However there has been a small outbreak here in LOS,

This could spiral out of control as cases are reported in the USA as well.

Their are thousand of Chinese pouring in at the moment going all over LOS.

An outbreak is very plausable.

An outbreak from Malaysia would travel up from the south through LOS.

Waiving visas will encourage this.

The high BHT is not helping the country only helping money launderers cash in.

Exports are in trouble, tourism is down and the country is in for a major correction, when that happens look out, financial forecasters are saying we are heading for a bigger event than what happened in The USA.

Turn your cash to gold before it is to late.

I am really scared in the meantime. Just before I went to Tops in the Central Mall here in Pattaya to suffer under the bag-less shopping again and again. It gets on my nerves. But what really scared me was to see VERY many people with masks. Many of them Chinese. Not sure if they do it because of the virus or because of the air pollution. I wished I had at least a plastic bag that I could pull over my head to protect myself too. 

20 hours ago, webfact said:

“The PM2.5 dust in the air is another concern for many tourists. They’re not going to feel safe if the locals are wearing facemasks.”

Expect a new ruling prohibiting facemasks in tourist areas starting soon.  The usual bribes will be enforced.

the old saying "" anything that goes up has to come down"" they had 10 or more good years of high tourism, reaping tourists & expats, after that it's all the way to the bottom, they just reached the middle point, it will keep going down faster and faster because they are slow learners

Perhaps this been said before a few times, but wouldn’t this would be a golden opportunity to initiate some nation wide effort to restore places that’s already been trashed by way, way more visitors than the natural setting can handle. Cleaning the beaches that literally turned into sandy garbage dumps probably would help a lot too, and do something about that sewage water flowing into the sea on the beaches around the kingdom. Maybe set up a national yearly schedule as how to keep the kingdoms natural beauty clean and well maintained at all times?

food for thought. 

Happy to see reporting here is just like USA.  Day 1.  Tourism hits record number Day 2. Hotels in Thailand down 40%.  Day 3  Officials greet the record breaking tourist at airport Day 4. Strong THB and smog curb tourism around Thailand. etc. 

• Haha 1