Beer Review: Bavaria 0.0% Strawberry...

SiSePuede419

Was in Tops the other day looking for 0% alcohol brewskis.  Of course, got some Heineken 0.0.

Then I saw this puppy on the shelf.  Didn't notice the "strawberry" flavor on the label. 

Whoa.  Was I surprised when I popped the top this afternoon expecting a cold, near-beer experience.

I presume it's an attempt at duplicating a Belgium Style ale?

It grows on you, but I wouldn't call those sweet Belgium ales "beer", either. More like a mix between champagne and wine coolers. ????

Taddy Smith Porter is still my #1 commercial beer available worldwide.

Review: 2 out of 5 taste.

IMG_20200123_144549.jpg

25 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Bavaria Holland it would appear.

I'm not sure if that's the location, or the name of the Thai company behind it....

But it kind of looks like some version of these guys. Except they don't appear to list a Strawberry among their brews, and the labeling on the OP's bottle is substantially different than those below.

2118396873_2020-01-2316_04_02.jpg.cc068f123226fe7384a6239a68af1855.jpg

https://swinkelsfamilybrewers.com/en/our-range.html#alcoholvrije-bieren

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm not sure if that's the location, or the name of the Thai company behind it....

My response was actually tongue in cheek, as we all know bavaria and holland exist in 2 different countries, but it seems bavaria holland us actually  produced by a large family owned brewery originating in the netherlands.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swinkels_Family_Brewers

14 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

My response was actually tongue in cheek, as we all know bavaria and holland exist in 2 different countries, but it seems bavaria holland us actually  produced by a large family owned brewery originating in the netherlands.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swinkels_Family_Brewers

Right, except, this brewer has operations/breweries in a variety of countries around the world. So I was curious to know from the OP, for his can, where it's listed as having been brewed?

And, the OP also didn't mention what purchase price he paid for the can he bought.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But it kind of looks like some version of these guys. Except they don't appear to list a Strawberry among their brews, and the labeling on the OP's bottle is substantially different than those below.

2118396873_2020-01-2316_04_02.jpg.cc068f123226fe7384a6239a68af1855.jpg

https://swinkelsfamilybrewers.com/en/our-range.html#alcoholvrije-bieren

if a barmaid poured a beer with that much head on it at an aussie pub she would be crucified

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stocky said:

For god's sake man, why!

1) The current dietary guidelines for Americans recommend that if alcohol should be consumed in moderation, about one drink per day for women and two drinks per day in men. 

According to a brain Doctor who's done thousands of brain scans, even this moderate daily drinking might be too much (shrinks the brain).  He recommended 1-2 drinks a week, maximum.

2) Alcohol consumption is tied to a multitude of short and long-term health risks such as violence, sexual risk behaviors, various cancers, high blood pressure, and vehicular accidents. 

Frequent Drinking Greater Risk Factor for Heart Rhythm Disorder Than Binge Drinking.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/10/191017075552.htm

3) In terms of psychological health, people who did not drink alcohol had shown positive psychological effects, such as improved sleep patterns and better concentration. In another study from the Royal Free Hospital in London in 2015 reports that participants who stopped drinking for a month had reduced levels of glucose and cholesterol, decreased blood pressure, losing 40 percent of liver fat, and overall weight loss.

4) Eliminating most alcohol consumption dramatically cuts the number of episodes of [AFib & Atriel Flutter] the potentially-deadly heart rhythm disturbance among moderate and heavy drinkers.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/health-pmn/cutting-out-alcohol-may-reduce-atrial-fibrillation-episodes

5) Short-term abstinence from alcohol and changes in cardiovascular risk factors, liver function tests and cancer-related growth factors: a prospective observational study 

BMJ, 2018

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/8/5/e020673

I'm only a moderate, but frequent drinker in the past, 1-3 drinks daily.  That's probably way too much.

Giving the liver a break, man.  ????

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Right, except, this brewer has operations/breweries in a variety of countries around the world. So I was curious to know from the OP, for his can, where it's listed as having been brewed?

And, the OP also didn't mention what purchase price he paid for the can he bought.

Lieshout, Holland.

Interesting, the label even has a translation into Arabic.  So their target market includes Muslims.

Can't remember the price, but Imports are typically 2 or 3 times the price of Domestic Thai brews.

17 hours ago, thequietman said:

Just get a soft drink if you don't want a Real beer. FCS.

Soft drinks are really bad for your health.  You didn't know that did you.  At least this drink has something besides chemicals in it (malt). FCS. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419

59 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Soft drinks are really bad for your health.  You didn't know that did you.  At least this drink has something besides chemicals in it (malt). FCS. ????

I've looked at some of the labels and contents for those kinds of fruity beers in the past, whether with alcohol or without... And the one other thing you have to be aware of with them is pretty high sugar levels.

In the case of the OP's beer, it may be leaving out the alcohol, but it's likely including a considerable dose of sugar content.

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Giving the liver a break, man.

I understand that, my preference is for iced water with a slice of lemon. Just don't understand the need to buy a faux beer, just drink fruit juice or water.

31 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I understand that, my preference is for iced water with a slice of lemon. Just don't understand the need to buy a faux beer, just drink fruit juice or water.

I like bars but not much alcohol and it is kind of frowned on to drink plain water in bars.

7 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I like bars but not much alcohol and it is kind of frowned on to drink plain water in bars.

I'm not talking about going to a bar, just alternatives to alcohol if you're giving your liver a holiday.