Bangkok Street-Food Stalls Are Trying to Give Up Plastic Bags

webfact

Bangkok Street-Food Stalls Are Trying to Give Up Plastic Bags

By Randy Thanthong-Knight

-- Government bans aim to curb Thailand’s plastic addiction

-- Vendors turn to sugar cane and palm leaves as alternatives

sf.jpg

A takeaway order of soup is served at a street stall in Bangkok. Photographer: Nicolas Axelrod/Bloomberg

Two things Thailand is famous for are its delicious street food and its wonderful beaches. Sadly, the first typically comes in plastic bags that often wash up on the second -- not good for a country that relies on tourism for a fifth of its revenue.

Thailand’s love of plastic bags helped make it the sixth-worst maritime polluter. The country generates more than 5,000 metric tons of plastic trash a day, three-quarters of which ends up in landfills. So the Thai government decided to clamp down, promising to eliminate all single-use plastic bags by 2021, ban plastic straws by 2022 and recycle all its remaining plastic packaging by 2027.

Big retailers like CP All Pcl’s 7-Eleven, signed up early to the plan, pledging to stop handing out plastic bags starting Jan. 1 this year, but for the ubiquitous street vendors, the change is not so simple.

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-22/bangkok-street-food-stalls-are-trying-to-give-up-plastic-bags

-- Bloomberg Green 2020-01-23

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, rovinman said:

I can remember some 65-70 years ago in England, going to my local 'Fast food outlet', (the Chippy), with my parents, who brought their own bowls and plates, with them, to collect their ''Split and Fish'', (Split=Chips and Mushy peas, with Cod , Haddock, Plaice, or other fish of their choice).
They brought their own Cloth Towels, to wrap around their dishes, to keep the food warm, whilst we walked home !
Doesn't seem difficult now does it  ?

I recall similar back in Australia, you took saucepans to the local Chinese to get takeaway.

• Like 2

Quote:-

"Big retailers like CP All Pcl’s 7-Eleven, signed up early to the plan, pledging to stop handing out plastic bags starting Jan. 1"

OH REALLY?? Well, last week I made a selection of purchases in a 7-11 shop at a PTT station near Aranyapratet and the young lady kindly put them in a single use plastic bag from a stack on the counter and gave me a plastic straw from a container also stacked with other plastic straws!! Perhaps the news about the ban was still on its way from Bangkok. Whatever, I was a happy bunny.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

last week I made a selection of purchases in a 7-11 shop at a PTT station near Aranyapratet and the young lady kindly put them in a single use plastic bag from a stack on the counter

That won't go very well for the franchisee when they are found to be breaking brand standards.

All it takes is one post on Facebook.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, blackcab said:

That won't go very well for the franchisee when they are found to be breaking brand standards.

All it takes is one post on Facebook.

Thank you, but this I will never do, as a "brand standard" for me is the supply of a plastic bag to carry my purchases from the store - sorry!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Pee baby.jpeg

I have a few markets not that far from me, the food hygiene coupled with the handlers hygiene is not good, the times I have bought cooked food from them I have been ill. If they wish to state Delicious Street food maybe they should add healthy and clean as well, the fact that they do not means many people I know will no longer buy street food and that includes Thais 

4 hours ago, Don Chance said:

A solution is tiffin containers.

Cheap-Stainless-Steel-Tiffin-Box-Leakpro

Next should be banning of plastic bottles, that can easily be replaced by refillable jugs, which every GH  or restaurant should provide anyways. Or cardboard box drinks, glass or cans.

Have seen people using these (see picture), but it seems only when they go to some Temple.

I used to carry my lunch in something similar for many years and it actually tastes better than from plastic.

Also it is easy to keep hot in any oven (or pie-warmer) 

Instead of a case of free milk for each student each year, try giving each house hold 3 plastic or metal reusable containers...Thais need to be reprogramed in so so many ways, lets start with air and land pollution and work our way up to road carnage....

7 hours ago, Enki said:

Where would you et those metal ones? We have a few made from plastic, but they don't really fit on top of each other.

They're actually call Pintos in Thailand.  I've seen them in hardware shops and I know several Thais who have used them for years.

Just ask a Thai in your area where you can buy pintos.  I'm sure you'll get a positive response.

Nothing wrong with using Lazada.  They usually deliver in a day or two.  Incidentally, you aren't buying from Lazada.  They're only a trading hub.  You are actually buying from a retailer/manufacturer, maybe even a 'real shop'.

These bans need to come with real solutions. 

Simply banning something without viable alternatives is not solving a problem its just shunting it along. 

People will not want to carry their food containers around all day on the off chance that they may pick up some food on the way home - viable alternatives to the ‘liquids’ issue (i.e. soups etc) need a good alternative. 

Additionally, I’m seeing a lot of control on the consumer, i.e. plastic bag bans etc but nearly every item I purchase seems to be impossible to get into because of so much plastic packaging. Isn’t about time that the manufactures are also targeted? how about bans on plastic packaging?