Health Insurance OA-Extension

Hi,

I know there are a couple of threads about that but I'm to blind to find. So:

Does anyone know, if the companies on the list provided here on TVF are the only ones to be accepted?

I have a German private health insurance which covers everything worldwide and unlimited. They even pay outragous overpriced Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital bills. Would that be ok if the insurance policy was translated to Thai and and certified by my embassy?

I'm not on OA, so I don't need it (yet). But things can change here rapidly and I want to be prepared.

Thanks for your input.

My understanding is that for the initial Type-OA visa application at the Embassy, if you get the Thai government form "foreign insurance certificate" completed, then foreign embassy's will accept that for a Type-OA visa (and one can gain entry to Thailand per Type-OA visa 'privileges').  

However, and this IMHO is the big catch, ... when it comes time in a couple of years to go for an extension of the 'permission to stay' based on one's Type-OA visa (and based on retirement), that the Thailand immigration offices will NOT accept a German private health insurance, even thou it meets all the criteria you noted. 

Currently when in Thailand to obtain an extension of the permission to stay (based on retirement), on a Type-OA visa, one must select an insurance company from the Thai approved insurance company list.  Ergo by going for a Type-OA now, one 'might' be in some 'pain' later when its time to apply for an extension.  Superior international insurance not on the Thai approved list will not be accepted by Thai immigration at present (when applying for an Extension of the permission to stay). 

My hope is in the future, the Thai proof Health Insurance criteria will be improved, but there is no indication of that yet.

You may in the long run, find it easier to apply for a Type-O Visa at your Embassy (if allowed), and then once in Thailand (if not done already) immediately setup finances/banking, such that you can then later apply for an extension on your Type-O visa, based on retirement.  Currently applications for a Type-O Visa  and applications for permissions to stay (based on an original Type-O Visa) do not require proof of Health Insurance.

If I have any of the above wrong, hopefully other Thai visa forum members will correct me.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much, oldcpu.

I'm on retirement O since years and actually there's no problem with that as you say. But who knwos with what they'll be coming up next.

Seems to me they found a new money machine with this requirement. Forcing people to buy a mostly useless Thai insurance and reject a worldwide valid one covering each and everythings is...aehmm ...amazing. OK TiT ????

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Thank you very much, oldcpu.

I'm on retirement O since years and actually there's no problem with that as you say. But who knwos with what they'll be coming up next.

Seems to me they found a new money machine with this requirement. Forcing people to buy a mostly useless Thai insurance and reject a worldwide valid one covering each and everythings is...aehmm ...amazing. OK TiT ????

The insurance you have now SHOULD be accepted were you to apply for an O-A visa at a Thai embassy/consulate in Germany, probably provided that your insurer also completes and signs a required "foreign insurance certificate."

But if you're talking instead about getting an annual extension of stay from Thai Immigration in Thailand stemming from a prior O-A visa, Immigration most likely will NOT accept your German insurance.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

TallGuyJohninBKK

I'm on retirement extension O and will stay on that. But I expect that one day in (near) future they'll ask for their silly insurance on this status of stay too. So wait and see.

Your worrying too much. 

If they extended this rubbish to folk who originally entered non o then you won't be able to use your German insurance to cover current requirement for extension for folk entered originally non O-A.

Worst case scenario would be to maintain your current insurance and ALSO pay for the rubbish Thai insurance. 

Or buy an elite visa and maintain your current insurance.

IMO insurance won't be required for non o folk.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Your worrying too much. 

If they extended this rubbish to folk who originally entered non o then you won't be able to use your German insurance to cover current requirement for extension for folk entered originally non O-A.

Worst case scenario would be to maintain your current insurance and ALSO pay for the rubbish Thai insurance. 

Or buy an elite visa and maintain your current insurance.

IMO insurance won't be required for non o folk.

If their rubbish one day will be required for my status of stay too, then I will think about buying the elite visa, as you say, though I see not much value for me with such a visa.

Better pay a  bit more for that than burn the money for their unnecessary useless <deleted>.

But: I'm not worrying at all. Just shaking my head and reminding myself where I am ????

Edited by JustAnotherHun

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

TallGuyJohninBKK

I'm on retirement extension O and will stay on that. But I expect that one day in (near) future they'll ask for their silly insurance on this status of stay too. So wait and see.

My hope is with time, the Thai immigration improves their verification process for Health Insurance, such that they accept both superior International Health Insurance (that meets the intent of their Thailand requirements) and also accept superior self Health Insurance (that also needs to meet their Thailand requirements).

I do believe there are ways to do that, that

- benefits Thai immigration (ie no extra work to speak of),

- benefits the Thai Hospitals (provides the more expensive private hospitals with patients to help support expensive hospital facilities, giving them additional income),

- benefits the Insurance companies (providing additional means for revenue via Self Health insurance administered by Insurance companies, and giving the insurance companies additional income), and

- benefits those under the hopefully then accepted International Health Insurance (including superior foreign Government insurance) and

- benefits those self insured (with self insurance administered formally by an Insurance company). 

Unfortunately that is not in place today - but possibly if what I believe is a 'win-win' route is mentioned enough times, it will (if viable) be considered for adoption, improved as required and implemented.   I do believe / recall the Thai ministry of health recommended self health insurance and foreign insurance be allowed - it just was not adopted by the Thai immigration.   Of course like others I am somewhat skeptical that such an improvement can take place, but I don't want to give up on pushing the idea just because I am skeptical.