DOGS TICKS best treatment ? pills or inject ? what brand ? Vet or Lazada ?

1 minute ago, livram said:

We had a terrible problem with our 3 dogs and house being infested with ticks. We tried different pills and shots from the vet and nothing seemed to work or even slow them down. 

Two years age we tried Bravecto and it worked quickly and 100%. No more ticks on the dogs or in the house. It is expensive but one dose lasts 3 months. We buy a dose for a very large dog and then cut and weigh into 3 does. It works. 

hello, so you mean pills ? Bravecto is only pills ? did you find cheaper online than at vet ?

thanks again.

We have bought at the pet store at The Mall in Korat but mostly from a reliable sources on Lazada. I would beware of fakes.

The  dose is like caramel and about the size of a one baht coin. I put the dogs in separate areas when I dose them because they really like it and try to steal from one another.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JWRC said:

In 16 years of owning dogs in Thailand, Bravecto is the only thing that works, I have had my current 3 dogs on it for 2 years now and not a tick anywhere, absolutely marvellous, I did try another type of pill at one stage called Endex from memory it came in different strengths, not sold in vets, it was under the counter, it was an improvement on what I had been using up to then, however use of this medicine is not recommended as it causes liver failure. The Bravecto costs me approx 3,000 Baht per 3 months for 3 dogs and well worth every baht.

This is exactly what I wanted to write - 3 dogs - check Endex - check Well worth it - check.

• Like 1

Thank you, I have now read more about Nexguard and Bravecto.

https://pet.reviews/bravecto-vs-nexgard/

Bravecto seems to be the winner and the only one that last 3 months.

So you recommend to buy the biggest size and cut it half to keep it in the fridge for the next 3 months ?

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?from=input&q=bravecto&sort=priceasc&ppath=90113:313710,40505:230615&location=local

The cheapest for the biggest dogs seem to be:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/bravecto-40-56-8713184181183-i448752128-s828122624.html

Only 570 thb and its an official shop with a domain name and a facebook page, what can go wrong ?

I also found Frontline but nobody uses it here ?

Frontline just don't work.

It is useless.

Nexgard Spectra and Bravecto are the only things that work.

Nexgard Spectra is better as it deals with heart worm and other things as well as Tics.

The price works out not much different.

Edited by fishtank

A 10kg and a 20kg dog the former long haired the latter short haired.

Tried various powders and "FrontGuard" Plus against ticks and fleas, doesn't work.

I am also concerned that the larger dog showed signs of malaise and developed an eye infection not long after treatment, this has now cleared following eye drops and the dog eating considerable amounts of his own selection of sand and soil.

The two dogs ( they belong to a friends family ) which I walk daily across cow and buffalo grazing areas, to where there is grass and a large rain filled pond ( no drainage of any kind in to the pond and it has a healthy amount of wildlife ), the dogs sit in the pond with water up to their belly for some time and after coming out I spend time manually removing the ticks and fleas which have migrated to their necks or backs.    As the dogs have free access to outside the house during much of the day there is plenty of opportunity for them to become re-infested, so nothing I can do.

How safe are tablets compared with drops ?

48 minutes ago, fishtank said:

They are not tablets.

They are chewy snacks,

Perfectly safe and they work.

Up to you if you want to protect your dogs or not.

Yes I understand they are a chewy snack but I query, am concerned about, the ingesting of something that is to deal with an external problem, notably a living creature whether they be ticks or fleas.

If they have worms I use a tablet.

• Like 1

After reading this

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/bravecto

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/nexgard-chewables

I think that someone must be crazy to give this tablets to his dogs.

I am not the one who trust online reviews but it's really obvious on dozens websites in 5 languages that bravecto and nextgard kill.

Even worst is giving the tablets that are released slowly in the body, it's like poisoning your dog daily for a month to 3 months.

Maybe the spot on products to put on the body is less dangerous ?

how possible that there is no other solution ?

what are your thoughts ?

• Like 2

On 1/24/2020 at 5:06 AM, Emeraldisle said:

Nail Polish Remover will work. Must be the type that contains alcohol. I think it is called Acetone. I used it. It works. It was actually recommended by a vet. 

they said no, your vet is an idiot as most of them

https://www.petsbest.com/blog/5-steps-to-remove-ticks-from-dog/

i am not qualified in any way....this is a bush remedy for tick infested areas that worked for myself and my dogs in oz.
half a teaspoon full of powdered sulphur (can get from chemist) mixed in with the evening feed....the sulphur gets into the dogs system and ticks will not bite.
If you or an animal has a tick on...pour some perfume on the tick, wait a few minutes, the tick will unscrew itself.

I only have flea problem and used Nextguard then switched to Bravecto since it's cheaper and last longer. The difference is that Nextguard also protect against heart worm but since I'm treating a semi-feral dog I don't care that much. I just don't like to see him scratching and potentially bring flea on the childrens. He don't like these pills even when mixed with food so it can be a challenge to administer. 

Edit: Nextguard and Bravecto both are advertised as working against tick. 

Edited by Tayaout

13 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

After reading this

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/bravecto

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/nexgard-chewables

I think that someone must be crazy to give this tablets to his dogs.

I am not the one who trust online reviews but it's really obvious on dozens websites in 5 languages that bravecto and nextgard kill.

Even worst is giving the tablets that are released slowly in the body, it's like poisoning your dog daily for a month to 3 months.

Maybe the spot on products to put on the body is less dangerous ?

how possible that there is no other solution ?

what are your thoughts ?

They are both systemic insecticide and also vermicide in case of Nextguard. There is liquid solution that are applied on the fur but can't be used in my case since there is children petting the dog. It's also difficult to control flea with "our" dog since he is semi-feral and he meet many untreated dogs on the street. The neighbours had a shock when they asked me how much I paid to treat the dog. 

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Lt Frank Bullitt said:

As with most of the replies I have been using Braveco for the last 2-3 years, but as suggested by my vet I do not dose every 3 months, i monitor and get up to 9 months between doses as needed, even more saving! 

Quite correct.  We dose only when and if we find a tick on any of our dogs.  Bravecto also works wonders in treating many types of mange.  We carry Bravecto when out and about and will stop and treat any dog we see with mange.  Within a month or so you see a completely "new" dog.  Of course no charge to the owners as they would never pay to give their dogs a chance.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Perfectly safe to give PESTICIDE to eat to your dog ? you must be a great follower !

Finally some one says it .

How can a product that kill pests but don't harm your dog or cat ?

I'm dealing with cats that have fleas , and just researched Frontline. No way I'm giving them that sh_t.

It might make them ill or even kill them .

You try not to get it on your hands or kids , but it's ok for the pet's skin to absorb , or take orally like Bravecto or Nextguard ?

I try the flea comb ... if they let me.

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2020 at 6:51 PM, Speedo1968 said:

Yes I understand they are a chewy snack but I query, am concerned about, the ingesting of something that is to deal with an external problem, notably a living creature whether they be ticks or fleas.

If they have worms I use a tablet.

go to a pet shop.Tell them the breed of dog and a guestemate of the dogs weight,they will give you the correct tablet,the heavier the dog the more milligrams the tablet will have.Crush the tablet up into the dogs dinner.Pill will work straightaway,next morning you'll see dead ticks on the ground or coming out dead from the dog's fur...the dog will love you big time.Pill works for 1 year,cost me about 400 baht.I cant remember the brand but trust your pet shop owner.

The ivermectin shots you can get at the vet work good and are cheap.  I like to switch for about 3 months each year to another treatment just to help with possible resistance problems.  I have found Bayer Advocate (drops on the back) and Nexgard Spectra (edibles) to be effective.  All 3 protect against most parasites like worms, mites, fleas, ticks.

Both of our dogs are dosed with En-Dex oral tablets every month. It eliminates and prevents ticks, fleas, heartworms, intestinal parasites and also treats mange. The oldest dog has been receiving it for 5 years, the youngest about 3 months. Both dogs are healthy and flea-tick free. 

• Like 1